You're least favorite Trek book

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by STIntergalactic, May 7, 2008.

1. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just as bad

2. PhoenixIreland

PhoenixIreland Captain Captain

A female writer? don't be silly! Women can't write

3. BrotherBenny

They can, they sign our death warrants

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dayton...what is this 'restraining order' you speak of? LOL

5. PhoenixIreland

PhoenixIreland Captain Captain

No death penalty in my country!
    Tho we did somehow end up with a female president..dunno how that happened must have been a clearical error in the count;)

btw I wish people would stop giving Carey stick I've only read one of her books I think the novel of WOTW and I liked i

6. BrotherBenny

Go and read Ship of the Line, then you'll understand.

7. cmdr_forst

cmdr_forst Lieutenant Red Shirt

I like to think of it as a special edition.

8. Aramis

Aramis Commander Red Shirt

Warped also gets my vote. Finishing that was liking sticking hot forks in my eyeballs: painful.

9. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Gee, thanks for adding that last word to the sentence... I wouldn't have known what you were going for otherwise. :p

10. DWMarch

DWMarch Captain Captain

As I recall, The Buried Age is a slow burn for about the first hundred pages or so but really picks up the pace once Picard makes a significant discovery. It sounds like you stopped right before the significant moment in the story that launches it into overdrive.

I wouldn't call it a least favorite because it was a really good book but I didn't much like the first Vanguard novel. It was harsh and depressing and it had a much darker tone than any other Trek novels I had ever read. It was a great read but I'm not sure if I want to read it again and suffer through the various losses and painful deaths Mr. Mack subjected all those poor people to!

I remember vividly disliking Windows on a Lost World for dragging out the mystery of the crab creatures for far too long. Home is the Hunter was one of the slowest, most boring books I ever read. I also intensely disliked First Frontier for the intelligent dinosaurs idea (which Voyager then latched onto as well... arrrgh!).

I might be unpopular for saying this but I really didn't like the Vulcan's Noun books either. I think it's more to do with the writing style than anything in particular. Also, I liked the Vulcan history aspects of Spock's World a lot and I had hoped the Vulcan's Noun books would stay consistent with that but they went off in a different direction and I didn't like where they went.

While the books themselves are pretty good, I can't stand the later Shatnerverse stories starting with Spectre. The bad guys have a nefarious plot but they're sure Captain Kirk will interfere with their plans. Meanwhile, Kirk has settled down with his wife and child and is doing his best to be happy. So the bad guys attack him unprovoked in order to keep him out of the way and end up drawing him right into the center of events. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I never understood the hatred for Warped. It was a very creepy and effective story and the focus on secondary characters was a nice change of pace from the usual. I did not like the other KW Jeter novel, Bloodletter at all though.

I didn't hate Before Dishonor but I did feel that it was kind of phoned-in, as if PAD has simply run out of original ideas and is now making his novels up out of mishmashes of his previous works. Recycling the Planet Killer and the Borg MC Esher virus idea didn't work for me and "killing" Janeway made me sigh.

11. Rabid Trekkie

Rabid Trekkie Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My only complaint about the first Vanguard book, was that the description on the back of the book made me think it would be centered around Kirk and Co. and that was the main reason I picked it up. Even with that though, the book really hooked me in to the idea and the series has been consistently good to great and I'm looking forward to the fourth volume.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I guess this would be a good example of to each his own, because I thought that the fact that it was so dark and depressing was part of what made it so good. Sometimes, like with the new Battlestar Galactica for example, these kinds of situations allow us to really get into some very interesting character based dramatic stories. Not that I want every story I read to be dark and depressing, but sometimes it's a nice change of pace from the usually lighter typical Star Trek stories.

13. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Haha! The blurb writer's evil plan worked!

14. smeos

smeos Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Rising Son" by S.D. Perry. I'm forcing myself to re-read it now as I go back through the re-launch from the beginning. A whole book about Jake Sisko* and a bunch of characters that nobody has ever heard of before . . . kill me now.

Oh, and they gave away the ending in the book right before that . . . so yeah.

*I don't mind him in smaller doses. If it was about Wesley Crusher I would be running a hot bath and breaking out the razor blades.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, they didn't. They set up a mystery in the book before it, and then they went back and explained that mystery in this book.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Sorry, I found this book to be the surprise "sleeper hit" of the Relaunch. Almost everyone expected a Jake solo novel - that stretched from his disappearance at the start of the Relaunch and all thru the "Mission: Gamma" saga - to be tedious, but I found his quirky new crew to be fascinating, and the new mature Jake to blossom as a character. I was engrossed!

17. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Re: Your least favorite Trek book

Rising Son is the flipside to Mission: Gamma: one not-too-long novel instead of four books; focused on one of the show's regulars instead of balancing a large cast; featuring some of the cultures introduced on the show instead of exploring new Gamma Quadrant cultures; introducing a civilian ship crew instead of a Starfleet-style ship; building up to a climax echoed in the end of M:G...

It's not a detour from the DS9 relaunch, it's a typically inventive bit of storytelling. Marco and the gang have never just pumped out standard novel after standard novel in the relaunch. They keep trying to do something different. Rising Son was very much a part of that.

Oh, and it was a fine novel in its own right. I really enjoyed it.

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I, too, love Rising Son and I would go as far as saying it's my second favorite post-finale Deep Space 9 novel after Cathedral (third if you count A Stitch in Time).

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^I loved it too. I especially liked the Even Odds crew, I thought they were a really unique group of characters, that included some really interesting and original aliens.

20. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Fleet Admiral Admiral

I liked them too. Have any of them appeared outside of Rising Son?