Your "Star Trek" Alien Head-Canons

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by WarpTenLizard, Oct 2, 2020.

?

What plot hole peeves you the most about "Star Trek's" aliens?

1. Entire planets having one culture/religion/language

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. All the Humanoids

6 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Inconsistencies in the looks of recurring species (Klingons, Romulans, Ktarians...)

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  4. The number of "empires" (Klingon, Andorian, Romulan) with hardly any mention of who they rule

8 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Every other week, we meet a new species; the galaxy is starting to feel crowded

2 vote(s)
    6.3%
  6. The sheer number of alien foreheads that resemble a$$es, or other unmentionable private parts

4 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. KamenRiderBlade

KamenRiderBlade Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Gorn that Kirk fought in the infamous scene was part of a different sub-species of Gorn, different and slower then normal Gorn.

2. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

My head canon varies from what the show eventually did, and I'm disappointed in what the show did on the following three cases:

Klingons: The Klingon Empire is a vast expanse composed of many planets. We see different-looking Klingons because they are different species from different planets in the Empire. Just like the US military is composed of many different peoples from many different ethnic and regional backgrounds. The whole augment-virus thing was just stupid. IMHO.

Andorians: Post-TOS Trek fandom, in that no-man's-land between TOS and TNG, had Andorians pegged as an insectile species, with partial exoskeletons, and the antenna were their hearing organs. No ears. (See Star Fleet Medical Reference, 1977). So I was disappointed at the lack of creativity or consistency shown when they showed up with ears and... breasts? Bugs with breasts?

Romulans: Forehead bumps? WTF? They're supposed to be just Vulcans whose forebears moved offworld 2,000 years ago.

WarpTenLizard and Arpy like this.
  3. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

If we can have diverse Klingons then we can have diverse Romulans, just like all humans do not look like Archer, Kirk, Pike and Picard

WarpTenLizard and 1001001 like this.
  4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I think this is a relatively easy explanation. The Vulcans arrived with diminished numbers but vastly superior technology and interbred with the Remans to increase their numbers. The forehead ridges are the fallout from those early crossbreeding.

WarpTenLizard and Henoch like this.
  5. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Entire planets having one culture. Monocultures aren't diversity and they're not what I think of as utopia.

If you don't conform to the monoculture, if you're not born into the mainstream of the monoculture, then you're an outcast. You'll be tolerated or a curiosity at best, and feared or criminalized at worst.

That's not a better future and anyone who thinks it is needs to take a serious look in the mirror.

Nyotarules likes this.
  6. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

FASA did it right IMO, there are different Klingons because Klingons don't give a damn about Genetic Engineering taboos.

[​IMG]

Human-like Klingons are Human-Klingon Hybrids; Ridged-Klingons are Imperial/Core Klingons, there are Romulan-ish Klingons, there are Gorn ones. The Imperial Klingons enjoy some higher status, but not much.

Tenacity, publiusr, mike hill and 3 others like this.
  7. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh good grief. Which of those men grew forehead bumps?

Orphalesion and trekshark like this.
  8. AresB

AresB Commander Red Shirt

Nyotarules likes this.
  9. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The same human who grew blonde hair.

10. mike hill

mike hill Lieutenant Red Shirt

Totally agree. And that the fully realised indepth, well designed and fascinating John M Ford/FASA Komerex/Klin Zha Klingons were IMHO the greatest missed opportunity in Trek.
    Vastly better than the cardboard cutout "honour", warrior "honour", bumpheads "honour", greasy biker viking "honour", monoculture we ended up with.
    Oh, by the way, did I mention "honour"?!!

Imaus likes this.
  11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the planet Bajor was mentioned in more trek episodes than any other...

12. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

So, Kor, Koloth and Kang became more influential, and thus, got head bumps to show their higher Imperial status? Or did the Klingon Empire phase out the failed hybrid/fusion program and return all Klingons back to their non-hybrid forms?

Whatever the case, I see the dark greasy skin of Kang, Mara and some of his officers as evidence of the first genetic steps to returning Klingons back to their true forms, in this case, first return their true darker skin color. A few years later, we see further genetic movement with head bump growth throughout the TOS movies. The full cycle to slowly return Klingons back to their true forms apparently took many years if not decades. YMMV :klingon:.

mike hill and Imaus like this.
  13. Imaus

Imaus Captain Captain

It is notable that the Klingons in TMP *all* have the same weird linear bump. Like they all were human-fusions or affected augment-virus'd and just decided to get a similar implant for their tribe/house.

Kor, Klang, and Koloth have/get relatively light bumps as well. Korrd from V, a old coot, and Chang, also have bland, simple foreheads. Maybe their advanced age, or the uncertainty of a vaccine or retrovirus, meant they went/got a simpler bone growth.

mike hill, trekshark and Henoch like this.
  14. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

When I first saw TMP, I guessed the Klingons survived a civil war and the bumps were from radiation, with them looking like the Discovery Klingons in the end...

Imaus likes this.
  15. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You sound like you first saw TMP much more recently than 1979

Not A Dominion Spy likes this.
  16. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Earth?

17. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Only when you mis-spelled it.

Forbin likes this.
  18. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I bet Bajor was mentioned way more than Earth. DS 9 mentioned Bajor constantly. Earth? Not so much.

19. mike hill

mike hill Lieutenant Red Shirt

Cheap shot.
    Oh, and incorrect.
    I am British and "honour" is how we spell honour.

20. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

“Honoor”?