Your Recent Opinion of Tim Russ?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Excelsius, May 23, 2007.

1. Excelsius

Excelsius Commander Red Shirt

Most of us love Tim Russ and his portrayal of Tuvok in Voyager. Most of us also love his conventional appearances and have enjoyed his often deadpan repartee' with the rest of the stars of Trek.

Has your opinion of Tim Russ changed since his participation in Of Gods and Men, or in light of his alleged recent comments (as reported by TrekToday) that Of Gods and Men is not a fan film? You can vote for up to two choices.

Vote now!

2. I Love Chakotay

I Love Chakotay Commodore Commodore

Has never changed. I really like the guy and he's entitled to his own views/opinions. I'm not going to get my panties in a bunch over anything he says or does as long as children and small animals are unharmed ;)

3. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Doesn't bother me at all.

I've met Tim Russ a few times. Nice guy all around and don't believe his comments about OGAM were meant as an insult in any way. However I don't take any insults about Trek fans to heart. Sometimes I think they're right. :lol:

4. Excelsius

I see that the most popular answer by far has been "has never changed". People here must like Russ quite a bit.

5. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

I've never had a problem with Russ. Therefore my opinion hasn't changed.

6. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Hasn't really changed

7. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

Hasn't changed, and won't change ever.

@exodus
    nope, his comments were not meant as an insult at all. Nor as a provocation of any sort.

@Excelsius
    Yes, Tim is well liked here. He is a very talented, very intelligent and very nice guy with a great sense of humor.

8. Excelsius

I've seen him in convention appearances and he's really a straightforward guy, from what I've seen. He doesn't strike me as particularly "show-bizzy". He seems like someone who, if you got to know him better, you could trust for honest advice.

9. exodus

Yeah, getting the impression of him that I did, it's not in his nature.

Thanks. :D

10. Helmgirlie

Helmgirlie Commander Red Shirt

]

Exactly! I think he's a very down-to-Earth type of guy, who could be your next door neighbor. And I mean that in the most positive way. He's nice, fan-friendly.

My opinion wouldn't change for one bit.
    He's a good guy.

11. TMara

:) You guys are making my day! I was so down after I read that nasty thread over in the Fan Film-forum, but your support for Tim really has cheered me up a bit. I know that he deserves it. He *is* a good guy.

12. Excelsius

I'm glad I started this thread, too. To be honest, I was afraid that people would start saying negative things, but I was hoping for the opposite result. Judging from the poll results, here's one thread where hope has obviously conquered fear.

13. CaptJamieway

CaptJamieway Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lol, I had to quote this, because I couldn't have said it better myself.

14. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm prepared to accept that those comments were taken out of context, but at the moment my opinion has dropped a wee bit. I think it probably didnt come out as he intended...

15. TMara

It's more that some people are angry about the delay of "OGAM" and looking for a scapegoat. Now the most malicious intent is interpreted into a few words and possible consequences of said words are blown way out of proportion. The whole discussion on this interview is really absurd. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody suddenly found a way to prove that this interview is the real reason why Julius Caesar was murdered over 2000 years ago on the Ides of March. Some of the allegations made in that context *are* that absurd.

16. exodus

:lol:

I got to Julius Caesar and lost it! :lol:

T'Mara , I also think it's because you can't saying anything that might even imply anything negitive about Trek to some fans. For example, some actors simply saying: "Working on Trek is just a job." causes some fans to be outraged because they believe actors that work on Trek should have the same loyality about it as they do. Anything said that doesn't put Trek first causes this, even to the point where a question such as how we now view Mr. Russ has to be asked. It's sad, shameful and in my opinion why all Trek fans get painted in a bad light.

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I don't think Russ' comments were taken out of context. Garret Wang echoed similar sentiments in an interview he gave six months ago, and others have as well. I'm pissed at those who have been saying this will be a free fan film available for download and appear to be reneging on that. Russ, as far as I know, isn't one of those people. Besides, he's got a show this fall, and I'm happy to see any Trek actor working post-Trek.

18. Good Will Riker

Good Will Riker Admiral

My opinion of Tim Russ has not changed. Hollywood is big business, and it is all about making money.

It's just a low budget independent film. Not the next Casablanca nor Citizen Kane. It's really nothing to get one's panties rolled up in a bunch over. This is all very trivial considering what we are dealing with here in the first place. :borg:

19. wheresthomas

wheresthomas Ensign Red Shirt

I will always like Russ's acting, however, when it comes to his comments about fan films, his whole "aura" diminished. I think he insulted people who put real hear & soul into things they do for FREE where he gets to play Trek and get paid. And as a fan of Star Trek I'm hurt by that.

20. exodus

You should really try and meet the man if you can. Once you do, I'm pretty sure you can see that this isn't the man Tim Russ is. Tim Russ embraces his fans as if they were his personal friends. He is also as big of a Trek fan as any Trekkie(er) can be. Knowing this, Mr. Russ would never say anything against Trek or it's fans.

Don't always believe everything you read. Avery Brooks is famous for having his words taken out of context or misunderstood. Mr. Brooks is absolutely one of the most intelligent and well spoken men I've have EVER met in my entire life. However, people who can't keep up with his intelligence often feel intimidated by him and mistake his confidence as arrogance and paint him in a bad light.

Peoples/actors opinions of Trek and/or it's fans should be used to define their content of character. We are more than just the TV shows we watch or the hobbies we have.