Your dream Thirteenth Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Joe Washington, Jan 17, 2016.

1. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

Right. Just open up the casting to include women, and if a woman has the best audition, then cast her. Don't cast a woman because of outside pressure (ie, those articles on blogs that come out every so often titled "When will The Doctor Be a Woman?" etc), as a ploy to increase the flagging ratings, or to attract publicity.

It reminds me of what they said once about Matt Smith's casting. He was the 3rd or 4th person they saw, and they immediately loved him, but they pushed on and saw dozens of others anyway because they didn't want to cast without sampling others. But his audition still stood out as the best at the end of it.

That's the right way to go about it.

2. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

I'll be disappointed if it's not a woman. Many greatly talented women that could play that part marvelously. Short of a woman I'd prefer them to go straight comedy with the next one and harken back to Patrick Troughton, Tom Baker, and Sylvester McCoy's treatment of the character. Not the young / old hot mess of the Drunk Giraffe, rather a properly comedic actor who plays the Doctor as the Trickster. Though I wouldn't want the first woman to play the part as a comedic trickster, that would make her too easily dismissed and rejected by the more... militant aspects of fandom.

3. Mr J

Mr J Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've always thought Damien Molony would be an excellent choice - especially if Toby Whithouse picks up the series after Moffat is done with it :)

4. douwed

douwed Lieutenant Red Shirt

newbie here, been reading this board for some time - thought I'd join the conversation. I'm not fond of a woman taking over I don't really know why, it feels wrong somehow even though I loved Missy. How does Eddie Redmayne as the doctor sound?

5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Miranda Hart.

6. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

To be silly (and allow for more adventures with River Song) Matt Smith or David Tennant. Or to throw it off even more, Paul McGann who is only about a year younger than Capaldi.

7. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Only if he's playing a female incarnation - or does a musical episode. ;)

8. Draculasaurus

Draculasaurus Commander Red Shirt

Sean Pertwee would be my pick
    My least favorite candidate that always pops up; Paterson Joseph. I see why people see an alien-ness in some of his performances, but to me, it just comes across as tense and joyless. He's hilarious as the unnerving boss in Peep Show though!

9. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

He's almost the spitting image of his father, but he's also flatly refused to ever play the Doctor. Too big of shoes to fill or something along those lines.

10. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

He refuses to play his father's Doctor. There is a key difference there.

11. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Plus why do people imagine Oscar winning actors at the height of their fame would want to quick making movies to spend 9 months in Cardiff playing Doctor Who?

The best person for the job might be the ideal, but in the real wold what this actually comes down to is the best person for the job who's actually interested in the role and who the BBC can afford.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yes I'd be keen but only if he played his own version of the Doctor. The trouble is the older he gets the more like his dad he looks (well duh, Starkers)

13. Turbo

Turbo Changeling Premium Member

Well, this is a dream thread, not a realistic casting thread. ;)
    Which actually sort of works, if you take the Curator's line about revisiting old faces at face val----er----literally.

14. douwed

If Eddie played a female Doctor I'd be on board for a female doctor

15. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Same here. Love him as Johnson. Utterly hated his performance in Jekyll, the only thing I disliked about that show. He wasn't bad in The Leftovers (which also featured Chris Eccleston) but I don't really see him as The Doctor. I know a lot of people base their vote for him on the basis of Neverwhere but that show didn't really work for me.

17. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

^ its rare we disagree but you wrong! :p

Olivia Colman's on Graham Norton as I type, she would be a heck of a good choice

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Yeah, I saw Olivia Colman, and, even though I'd prefer a male Doctor (decrying tradion is overrated), I thought, yeah, I could see that.

Aside from her, I'd go with Patrick Stewart or Siddig.

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd like to see some David Bowie chameleon alien type playing the Doctor as some crazy cat with a twinkle in his eye and a bounce in his step who is always searching for new experiences and wonders. Like an exaggerated take on Eccleston in The End of the World who is constantly fascinated and amused and out there. And one whose regeneration is really a reset and new lease on life and is unfettered by all the Time War and past angst.

Another idea would be to take the cosmic hobo idea of the 2nd Doctor and really turn up the hobo part. A Doctor who is really one with the downtrodden and those without power. A Doctor where the TARDIS is as likely to end up in a back alley or in a group of homeless. Again, the Eccleston era had a touch of this with Rose and the council estate (I believe they're called in England) but again cranked up. I think it would be really hard to get this right but it might be interesting to see the Doctor work from the bottom up instead of the taking over at the top as he tends to do.

20. douwed

everybody makes mistakes, even actors. I will admit that some mistakes are worse than others

Starkers likes this.