Your annual vacation/holidays

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Kilana2, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

My dad and I are preparing for a road trip to St. Louis and Kansas City to see some baseball games.

Because of all the flooding, we're not entirely sure how we're going to GET there, but...that's why I'm making him drive. ;)

See, here's the thing: I'm the mass transit geek. Put me on a subway, bus or streetcar, and I'm a happy guy. My dad's the one who can actually read road maps. I can't read an atlas to save my life - you put highway maps in front of me, you might as well be saying BANANA BANANA BANANA.... :confused:

But as long as we pass at least one Waffle House on the way (and our games don't get rained out), then I'll call it even!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2019
    Gary Mitchell likes this.
  2. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

DragonCon again. I hope the guest list gets someone I’d actually like to see as I’m not a fan of DISCO. Hopefully more guests will be announced in the coming weeks or I’ll have to come up with somewhere to go on a holiday weekend.

3. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

My oldest sister has been bugging me about traveling to Barcelona and Madrid. Those are beautiful places, but I don't know if I have enough vacation time (or funds) to go in October. November and December are a no-go for me as we get closer to the holiday season. I will mostly likely take a week off in early September but haven't decided on the destination yet.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm seriously kicking around the idea of visiting London.

But I won't do it until one (or both) of these things happen:

- UK airports start adding US border preclearance like most major Canadian airports have,

or

- US airports stop making you get your bags and go through security all over again when you connect from an inbound international flight to an outbound domestic flight. This happened to my dad and me when we flew home from Munich last year and it REALLY pissed me off. :scream:

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019
  5. Gryffindorian

I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Can anyone recommend a good destination (out of state) to visit for just one week? I plan on going early September.

6. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

What are you interested in? Art, history, being outdoors? For history, there's Boston and Philadelphia. For art, there's Chicago, New York. For the great outdoors, there's Colorado, Washington, Montana, Oregon, etc.

If you want to leave the country, the Caribbean is nice; it would be a bit less crowded in September.

Gryffindorian likes this.
  7. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Much prefer Madrid to Barcelona

8. Gryffindorian

I'm mostly into historic and cultural destinations. A natural landmark is a plus, though I'm not much into hiking or certain "outdoor" activities.

For instance, in 2017 my sister and I traveled to Cancun and also explored Chichen Itza in nearby Yucatan.

In July of last year and back in May, I went to Oahu. I loved doing the circle island tours, the visit to the Polynesian Cultural Center, shopping and dining. I did not for one instance go swimming or hang out at the beach, as most tourists would do. The highlight of my recent trip to Oahu was the Kualoa Ranch tour, where countless movies and TV shows have been filmed.

Last fall, I spent a few days in Albuquerque. I enjoyed the museums and the Pueblo Cultural Center, as well as shopping and dining.

Friends and family have suggested NYC or Chicago, but I'm not really into BIG metropolitan cities unless they've got a historic, natural, or cultural appeal, or entertainment venues like Vegas.

I'm considering New Orleans but am concerned about the weather conditions in September (hurricane season?). Santa Fe is another possibility.

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^It's towards the end of hurricane season and still hot as hell.

Santa Fe is a great idea-- it's retained a lot of its history & character, has a ton of art and artist communities, and September is the Fiesta month for Santa Fe.

Haven't been through there in years, but I really liked it.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

@Gryffindorian, I'll second @auntiehill's suggestion of Boston.

Even though I'm a Yankee fan, I like Fenway Park very much and I freaking LOVE the city of Boston. I'll be there in a few days..I always said I wanted to be there when the Yankees were in town, but they're there now - and getting their asses handed to them - so maybe it's best that I'm not around. :lol:

(The reason I'm not there now is because 1) I couldn't get the time off work, and 2) the Redsox were on the road earlier this week...I like to schedule my vacations when I can see a whole week of games, so I rarely have the luxury of going to any given city when one of my teams is in town.)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2021
  11. Mr. Laser Beam

Already planning my trips for next year!

First stop in ‘20: Montréal.

12. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still indecisive where to go this year....

13. Gryffindorian

Today I finally took the plunge and booked an Alaskan cruise in early September, roundtrip from Seattle via Princess Cruises! I'm so pleased with myself for having made the decision. I've been dilly dallying the past couple of months, not sure whether to go back to Hawaii or visit a new place.

I've always wanted to go on a cruise but always held back - too expensive, didn't want to go alone. If I had to put it off another year or wait for a family member or a travel companion, then I might never set foot aboard a luxury ship. I'm anxious and thrilled at the same time. :)

Avro Arrow and Gary Mitchell like this.
  14. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Off to Spain again at the end of the month for two weeks to finalise the renovation of my flat
    Ready to start furnishing
    No more AirBnB after this

15. Jedman67

Jedman67 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We're taking the kids to a little getaway in the Pocono mountains; about 2 hours from where I live.
    On the agenda is a ride on the Leigh Valley Excursion, powered by a steam locomotive (i think). And a trip to Steamtown in Scranton. Hiking near Bushkill falls.

16. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

One year (almost to the day) and counting and I'll be going to Ottawa. Probs more as Ottawa is just week one of at least 5-6 weeks. . I want to do Curaçao and maybe a cruise. My partner wants to visit like all these cake shops in New York he YouTubes lol.

We plan to take 5-6 weeks, Do we can in theory do both. Just saving the money first! Lol our trip 2 months ago to London, Jersey, Paris, Oman and Vietnam, while only 3 weeks (yes we fit that all into 3 weeks! Lol) cost us more then we initally budgeted (darn Aussie dollar going to suckitude!)

XCV330 likes this.
  17. Mr. Laser Beam

Going to visit Parliament Hill?

18. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

Rugby mainly,

But yeah I'd totally do a tour of Parliament Hill and have tea and crumpets (or I guess Tim Hortons and Poutine) with Justin Trudeau!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  19. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

If you can swing the optional excursion to Denali, I highly recommend it. Seriously, you will be in awe. Still my favorite place I have ever visited.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

One word of warning about that...there is a shit-ton of construction and renovation going on up there right now. So you may not be able to see the real important buildings, such as Centre Block. But don’t let this keep you from going...Parliament Hill is awesome, I learned a lot when I visited there. Highly recommend it!

Also, if possible, try and take OC Transpo (bus mass transit) from the airport. Hell of a lot cheaper than a cab.