You won't believe who I might be!! Who might you really be!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jayson1, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How so? I'm actually a math idiot, but I thought there'd been an estimated 100 billion humans born & died throughout the existence of humans. That's enough mathematically, isn't it? (Not that I'm suggesting I buy into the premise lol)

2. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

So your list of "possibilities" are all caucasian men, just like (I'm guessing) you are?

No, I'm not sure that you are.

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well I am sort of restricted to who died and who was on the list of names provided and who had the most name rec. It is possible I for example was actress Susan Hayward and even though she own a Oscar and the name seems familiar I can't point to something specific she was in. The person who had the most name rec I didn't list was actor Fredric March. Of course fame can be different. Some people might really know who Susan Hayward is even more than me.

Jason

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I was born a couple of weeks before the music died. So I'm pretty sure I'm the reincarnation of Buddy Holly, the Big Bopper and Richie Valens. Though you'd think I could sing. :shrug:

5. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I don't know about a wise man, but I said this in a thread last year:

6. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There are many accounts of people claiming to be ordinary people reborn and have tracked down the surviving family to support their story. I’ll see if I can find some examples when I’ve time later.

Doesn’t make it true, but they’re not all Lord Nelson or whoever.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Yes, we should definitely take my offhand comment totally seriously and track down as many counterexamples as possible. That's an effective use of time. Of course, since we have unlimited lives...

8. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is their really a thing such as genetic memory? I recall Mulder talking about it once on "X-FIles." Could it be possible that are traits and maybe even memories are passed on via family heritage? Wouldn't that sort of count as reincarnation?

Jason

Random_Spock likes this.
  9. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Better to scour the internet for examples of reincarnation and contribute to a frivolous debate, than do something of actual importance.

If I follow your logic, I risk achieving something during the weekend.

10. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Boy, that sounds like quite an effort. Say, you wouldn't happen to wear a funny outfit, would you?

11. Doom Shepherd

Doom Shepherd Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And why the whole YEAR in which you were born? Is the queue for a new body THAT long (or THAT short, depending?) Seems more likely that it should be someone who died the DAY you were born (but preferably before the TIME you were born, because if you were born at 9AM but your prior incarnation died at 6PM... it probably wasn't them.

I suspect that people stretch it out to the year they were born just to widen the list of celebrities they want to believe they could have been.

BillJ likes this.
  12. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

That poses an interesting question of wether our ancestors can be reincarnated along the same ancestral tree. Could a relative of centuries old be reincarnated as someone we're currently connected to?

As for memories, sometimes there's that unexplainable sense of dejavu. You've never personally been to a particular location but you have the distinct feeling through different eyes that it's a location that should be familiar to you, or even get a distinct feeling of repetition of events yet to occur.

When growing up and visiting my grandparents, we'd often visit the science and technology museum that had steam locomotives on display. Always had this eerie feeling when viewing them that in a past life a tragedy happened relating to steam locomotives that always gave me goosebumps. I was never able to prove anything of it, so maybe it was just the effect of seeing something strange and unknowable to young eyes, but it was a feeling I was never quite able to shake. When it comes down to it, they're big hulking pieces of machinery that can be quite scary to young eyes.

13. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, Rachel Carson fits surprisingly well, even as far as the profession is concerned.
    However, I hope that age-wise I take more after Tatyana Ehrenfest

14. rahullak

rahullak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Goes back to the debate on abortion.

When do you really come into this world? When you are conceived? When you are born? Sometime in between? Sometime thereafter?

Even if reincarnation happens in our world, I'd like to think that there is a logical system to it. One that jives with the science that we know to be true.

15. PureCrimson

PureCrimson Commander Red Shirt

I'd say if reincarnation was even possibly a thing, you'd probably be the other 99.9% of the population that were normal people and not famous.

16. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Reincarnation? Tricky. You don't want to pull an Agrajag.

I prefer to avoid the process altogether. So far it's worked fine.

17. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I sometimes wonder if I might have been a cat in a past life. That would explain my love of meat, my nocturnal habits, and my abundant silky body fur.

18. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

19. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I thought reincarnation took 80
    Years to happen. So that you would not run in to people who knew you before.

20. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Would that really matter? After all, you'd look totally different and you'd have no recollection of your previous life. Not to mention the age difference between your new self and your old acquaintances that'd keep you apart.