''YOU were on the ENTERPRISE!!!"

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Rowdy Roddy McDowall, Aug 4, 2021.

1. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, that's all there is to say about that.

XCV330 likes this.
  3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I've long thought that this forum could use a general discussion thread.

XCV330, KennyB, GNDN18 and 2 others like this.
  4. Scott Kellogg

Scott Kellogg Commander Red Shirt

Well, they were in the middle of being dematerialized at the time....

5. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, to be fair, they saw her for a moment while dematerializing. Then, literally seconds upon landing. they were hit by the huge event where they thought the Enterprise was possibly destroyed. Add to that, who would expect the woman who was on the Enterprise to suddenly show up on the uninhabited planet where they read no life forms?

Ever run into someone you kinda know in a location that's out of context? Like someone you see in your office building at your local grocery store and you're focused on something else when they walk up? It can take a bit for it to register.

6. oldtrekkie

oldtrekkie Captain Red Shirt

I once met someone at a party that seemed to know me very well and seemed kinda familiar... I am ashamed to say that It took me a while to realize that he was the janitor in my building. I just never saw him outside of that context.

publiusr, Kor, Ssosmcin and 1 other person like this.
  7. Maurice

Yes, and that might be better place for subjects like this with a depth measured in nanometers. ;)

8. Ssosmcin

Or we can put them all in the flip phone thread. :biggrin:

9. Maurice

You do and no more FACT TREK for you ingrates! :D ;)

10. Scott Kellogg

You know the "You were on the Enterprise!" subject line sounds like the title of one of those "Choose your own Adventure" books that came out when I was a teenager.

JonnyQuest037, XCV330, KennyB and 2 others like this.
  11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

We don’t delete threads unless they are spam. I can close it if you really want, but there’s nothing wrong with the subject. Maybe the topic could have been stated more clearly, but that’s hardly a sin.

12. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

That is a most illogical attitude.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2023
  13. Scott Kellogg

You know, there is a question on just how conscious you are when being beamed down.
    Kirk is on the front pad, and can see what's going on, but is mostly frozen and can't react.
    I would tend to think that moving during the process is a bad idea, but your heart is still beating and the lungs still breathing, so at least minimal movement is a given.

Frankly, I think I'd instinctively want to close my eyes during the process, seeing as all those sparkles must be flashing through your eyes. Flashing lights trigger the blink reflexes. Of course it's not going to do much good because the inside of your eyes will be flashing too.

But how much can you see and hear while being disintegrated? And Memory formation? Who knows?

Frankly, the person only going to perceive and remember what the writer wants the character to perceive and remember.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
    Roundabout and CorporalCaptain like this.
  14. Ssosmcin

Well maybe, maybe not. The camera focuses on Kirk and McCoy when she is facing them and back out when her back is turned. It's clear that Kirk and McCoy could have seen her well enough but for all we knew, Sulu and D'Amato only saw "a woman." After all that happened directly afterwards (and D'Amato was focused totally on his tricorder readings upon landing), including their all-encompassing search for food and water, I can see it taking a bit for the other two guys to make the connection. Perhaps they immediately realized that she was a member of the same group as the gal on the ship but then it dawned on them that it was the same woman. "You're not just some other woman, you're the same woman who was on the Enterprise!"

15. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

TWOK depicts a conversation happening during transport. Of course, maybe the whole process was smoother fifteen years later with advances in transporter technology.

Kor

16. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

It could have been worse. In the first draft, Dawson, who became D'Amato, didn't recognize her at all.

17. oldtrekkie

You know, there was a time when my guess would have been that when you're partially dematerialized, you're not conscious at all! Hell, you can't even say that you're alive. But then they make episodes like TNG's "Realm Of Fear" where Barclay is perfectly conscious while theoretically in a state of... whatever... I mean what to think of an episode like that? It seems to imply that you're conscious all the time except maybe with a distorted view of reality.... Could it be that there are several types of transporter and that they sometimes use one and other times another one without telling us?

Scott Kellogg likes this.
  18. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

On the Jenolen, Scotty was in that transporter loop for 75 years. I sure hope he wasn’t conscious for the entire time.

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I still say TWOK shows evidence of consciousness during transport, or maybe the people being transported just didn't perceive any passage of time between the start and the end of the transport process. See here at about 1:02 for conversation happening while transport is underway:

Chronologically this is much closer to the TOS era than TNG, though the technology could have been much different from the TOS period even after fifteen years.

Kor

XCV330, publiusr and Methuselah Flint like this.
  20. oldtrekkie

That would have given him plenty of time to think.