Yeoman Rand's Tower of Hair

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Nov 28, 2021.

1. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Interesting that two of her biggest episodes the Changeling and Mirror Mirror were in the period when she was contracted, plus I, Mudd, but leaves a lot where she was just in the background and Doomsday Machine where they replaced her entirely. So, despite presumably paying her a bit more, they still didn't make good use of her that often. She also had Gamsters of Triskekeleon and the Trouble with Tribbles in the second half of season 2 so it might have been a willingness to write for the characters rather than the nature of the contract that was the problem. I can only think of Plato's Stepchildren and the Tholian Web in season 3.

Interesting as well that Palmer is one of the few characters to appear in more than one season. I vaguely recall that there was a desire to use her more often and it's curious that a rival for another established character was pushed rather than someone to fill a gap- such as the astrobiologist.

Even Fontana did little to advance the female characters but it's also interesting to see how Rand's more active role in the early draft CotEoF was whittled down in revised drafts to Uhura being present but largely silent, only impliedly in charge of the security team, and expressly frightened.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Mres_was_framed!

Mres_was_framed! Commander Red Shirt

In regards to many episodes, I see your point. But with Uhura the ranking person on the bridge when Kirk says "Get these Tribbles off the Bridge..." I don't see how that could imply anyone else would be in charge, at least for a short time. David Gerrold did say in some of his commentary tracks for the animated series that he wanted to see Uhura in command, so at least one person was thinking about that happening.

Charlie does not know how to treat people right, even at times when he is feeling what should be caring (like his crush on Rand). It seems to me that that is the point of the episode. Criticizing this episode for that seems like criticizing "The Ultimate Computer" for having too much shooting.

She seemed to be both, And I think Kirk calls her LT once. Maybe her rank should be regarded as an error and sh should be considered a security guard. Maybe she helped Chekov decide to go into security?.. It seems like they were setting her up to be a continuing role but did not do it.

When I first read the name of this thread, that was what I thought I would be reading about ;)

If the show had gone into a 4th or 5th season, it would have been great to see more of those scenes where Scotty is command, Uhura acts like his Number One, questioning but supporting, and Chekov is there to follow along.

This really helps me put in perspective what about Rand is so interesting despite her sometimes silly lines. She is a good compliment to the way that, early-on, Kirk is seen to be dealing with the burdens of command. The more heroic the made Kirk, the less they seemed to want to use Rand.

I would say that interviews she gave on the blu-rays, dvds, and some online online articles suggest D.C Fontana at least thought she was doing something positive for the female characters, if taken in historical context.

Phaser Two, Pauln6 and Commander Troi like this.
  3. Maurice

Maurice Fact Trekker Premium Member

Palmer’s “Doomsday” appearance appears to have been a last-minute thing. There’s a note on one script indicating Uhura is replaced by Palmer in this segment.

4. Pauln6

Interesting! I wonder if Nichelle was double booked or ill?

5. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Well, in S3 she also had very nice sections of dialogue in both "Elaan of Troyius," "Spock's Brain" (the fantastic bridge conference scene) and of course "The Savage Curtain." Also, going back to S2, she also participated in the bridge conference in "A Private Little War," outsmarted everyone including Kirk and Spock at the end of "Bread and Circuses," and then had the great moment with Spock in "Who Mourns for Adonais." These may have been smaller than what you were thinking of, but they were all significant.

I agree about "Tribbles." There's also the moment at the end of (I believe) "Obsession," where Kirk calls the bridge from the transporter room, Uhura answers, and he tells her to "have Mr. Chekov" lay in a course for the next destination. Given that was a Sulu-less episode, I've always taken that dialogue to mean Uhura had the conn.

Pauln6 and Commander Troi like this.
  6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

For first contacts or trade agreements you woud think Yeomen were essential to record the event for prosperity.
    Otherwiise wouldn't it be communications job or law or something?

7. Foxhot

Foxhot Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Everything they can do Spock can do better.

The yeoman who bit the big one in BY ANY OTHER NAME had five lines. The first was confirmed by Spock, so she's redundant. The fourth line asked Kirk a question Rojan already pretty much answered.

Pauln6 likes this.
  8. Pauln6

I saw a spoof play called Kirk vs Ming where the female character's only lines were, "Yes", "No", and "I don't understand," unless she was doing a soliloquy. It got to the point where Kirk donned a wig to seduce Ming the Merciless, rather than let the woman do anything useful. It was very funny.

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Commodore Commodore

"Smart" is not a word I associate with the end of Bread and Circuses.

10. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

Cool.

11. Pauln6

I recall an oddity in the Naked Time (I think or possibly footage from the Naked Time used in a different episode) when Spock calls the male helmsman Rand. It would seem really lazy to invent another character and call him Rand, so I wonder if the intention initially was to have her man the helm at an earlier stage in the episode and for longer until someone realised that Kirk would be unable to see the screen past her beehive?

12. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Premium Member

It was "The Naked Time" and it was Eddie Paskey at the helm. @Maurice has checked that for us, Rand was not at the helm in the script for that scene.

Commander Troi and Pauln6 like this.
  13. Pauln6

Thanks Maurice! What a curiosity. It comes too early in the episode but it's really odd that she ends up there later. Was it a simple mistake on set? Is Spock prescient? Or is Spock drunk?

14. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Eddie Paskey was all over the place in Season One, before he finally settled down into the character of "Mr Leslie" (named by Shatner after his daughter).
    In Mudd's Women Paskey played a character in Sickbay who McCoy called "Connors". So coupled with him appearing as "Rand" in The Naked Time I propose that he played an officer called "Randall Connors" whom Spock just happened to be on first name terms with.
    YMMV ;)

15. Pauln6

So Paskey is playing clones?

16. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps just very similar looking cousins? ;)

However, clones would explain how Mr Leslie died in one episode and then came back in another...

17. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

:vulcan: Spock calling an officer who's not James T. Kirk by his first name while on duty? Highly illogical.

18. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Or he might, at that. It's easy to think of the past monolithically, that people were less enlightened back then. I have often gotten called out for "anachronistic attitudes" toward racism and feminism in the course of doing Galactic Journey. But the fact is folks with modern sensibilities toward racism and feminism existed back in 1966; there were just fewer of them.

Someone who'd seen Number One in "The Cage" and/or read about Rydra Wong in Babel-17 or the strong female characters in Andre Norton's work might be suspicious of a stag future where women were absent from senior positions or positions of responsibility. That the very creator of Trek originally had three women on the bridge of the Enterprise, including a first officer, gives support to that.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2022
  19. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Nimoy flubbed the line, and it was quickly decided that the audience wouldn't notice or care. They were shooting in color, which was expensive, and keeping on schedule was also a consideration. I suppose it's remarkable that so few mistakes made air.

Commander Troi, Pauln6 and Neopeius like this.
  20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk Worf In the 23rd Century Premium Member

[​IMG]
    KIRK: "And you're quite sure this is all of them?