Yeoman Rand's Tower of Hair

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by ZapBrannigan, Nov 28, 2021.

1. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You know, that idea puts Charlie Evan's teenage stalker behavior in a new light as well.

Commander Troi and ChallengerHK like this.
  2. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Charlie, Green (although technically he stalked everyone), Evil Kirk, Trelaine, and Don Juan were pretty much written with Rand being stalked in mind. Enemy Within, Dagger of the Mind, and Miri featured her repressed desires. I can't think why she was allowed to stay sober in the Naked Time...

Mind you, can you imagine a renaissance conical hat perched on Rand's beehive. What a missed opportunity!

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

And she was up front at navigation!

Commander Troi likes this.
  4. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Even here, they managed to squeeze in the scene of her being harassed in the corridor; "I'll take you home, JanNIIIIIIIIIICE."

Commander Troi and Pauln6 like this.
  5. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I love this photo, it looks like they’re holding a bunch of trash from the studio commissary.

6. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well Charlie never did get to have any positive relations (or any) with women, so that might be expected.

The 'aged up' women actress (Laura Wood, who was the similarly hyperaged Elaine Johnson in "The Deadly Years") might not have wanted to display her legs in a mini skirt.

7. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

I can’t stand the Charlie Evans character. Charlie X is of the very few TOS episodes that I avoid.

Daddy Todd likes this.
  8. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

That episode and And The Children Shall Lead make me angry. I hate watching stuff that makes me angry, so I rarely watch those eps.

9. Pauln6

There is so much more like than Charlie though. Uhura would have been a much better love interest for Spock than Chapel. It's a nice ensemble piece.

10. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

It was trippy seeing Dromm as the Summer Blonde model after watching Trek and The Russians are Coming!

[​IMG]

I was happy that Blish took out the bit with Helen herself implanting the false memories in Kirk's head.

JonnyQuest037 and BK613 like this.
  11. mb22

Henoch, BK613 and Neopeius like this.
  12. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

That's the one!

BK613 likes this.
  13. alchemist

alchemist Captain Captain

Rand is in Sturgeon's outline but Don Juan is not. And Don Juan is in the first draft script (and later drafts) but Rand is not - she is replaced with Barrows.

FYI, when "Dagger of the Mind" was revised to replace Rand with Noel, they rewrote the part for the new character, they didn't just overwrite the name in the script.

ZapBrannigan, JonnyQuest037 and BK613 like this.
  14. Pauln6

That's interesting. Maybe one of the questions on the employment questionnaire was whether a prospective yeoman is likely to report a superior for sexual assault? At least Landon was a hard no. She should have been a security guard rather than a yeoman though.

I appreciate that Noel behaves nothing like Rand and is far more of an equal to Kirk but I think the bare bones of her implanting a romantic encounter in Kirk's mind was there initially. I think something more akin to Rand implanting a promotion would have been less creepy and more fun. Then when that gets turned sexual, it would have been a good opportunity to re-set their relationship because any feelings he might have had before were effectively corrupted. Plus it would have been nice to give Rand some training in psychology instead of just washing up. That said, I do love Noel.

15. mb22

Her other commercial gig was for Jet National (she's at the end)

Henoch, Pauln6 and Neopeius like this.
  16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

To be clear, her contract specified she was guaranteed pay or play on a certain number of segments out of the first 13 (I think it was 7 or 8 but I can't check the documents right now), and Bob Justman would have cried foul if she was included unnecessarily given her rate.

JonnyQuest037 and Commander Troi like this.
  17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Exactly. Adding extra Rand scenes in more episodes would have been very extravagant.

18. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

When push came to shove they didn't know how to use the Rand character, and D'Agosta stated that she was too expensive to carry under contract given how little she was utilized.

19. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Y'know, "Rand's Tower of Hair" would be a great band name. :lol:

Having recently re-watched "Charlie X", I'm disappointed they didn't do more with Rand, because Grace was terrific in that. :sigh:

Pauln6, Neopeius and Nerys Myk like this.
  20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

So if she had been cheaper she might have been used more and then extended perhaps? Or were the odds always that TPTB were going to get rid of her for one reason or another?