X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Apr 28, 2009.

?

Grade the movie, bud!

1. A+

2.2%
  2. A

4.3%
  3. A-

14.4%
  4. B+

5.8%
  5. B

18.7%
  6. B-

11.5%
  7. C+

8.6%
  8. C

10.1%
  9. C-

7.9%
  10. D+

2.9%
  11. D

4.3%
  12. D-

4.3%
  13. F

5.0%
  1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

What, you don't like puns? :p

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

So Wolverine will be the third most successful film in the franchise, beating out X-Men but neither X2 or X-Men: The Last Stand, based on those estimates. I guess that was to be expected (do spin-offs really perform better financially than their predecessors?) and perhaps the sequel will perform better, given if the movie is, y'know, kind of good this time.

3. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

No...I don't like shitty writing. I thought you were dead, Mr Siegel.

4. JacksonArcher

Ouch.

5. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

*takes a bow*

All in jest.

6. Captain Craig

Well, jest or not, you've proven to be a tough "crowd of one". You seem to despise most TV/Movie projects anyway. *shrug*

7. JacksonArcher

I've been 'round long enough to know that T'Baio has taste, and he gives films a fair share. I find myself often agreeing with him. For the most part. ;)

8. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, nobody's perfect.:p

j/k:lol:

BTW, I think these character shots are better than the film itself.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qA5Fi_JViQA&feature=related

Last edited: May 19, 2009
  9. archeryguy1701

archeryguy1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm disappointed I never actually saw those... they were pretty bloody good!

10. JacksonArcher

It's funny because you learn more about some of those characters (Gambit, Deadpool, Wraith) than you get from the film itself! Absolutely incredible.

11. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

The funny thing is, the Wolverine character sketch doesn't even really match the movie. It sells it well, because who he describes is who we know Wolverine to be and who we want to see in the movie...but that's not really who we see in the movie.

Which kinda' goes to show they know how much they fucked the goat on this one.

12. JacksonArcher

Yep. Gone was the reclusive loner of the first two X-Men films. In that clip, you get the sense that Logan/Wolverine is someone not to be messed with, someone with problems just bubbling over the surface, someone with a past. You don't really get that in the film.

Again, this makes me yearn for David Benioff's earlier, unused draft. It was so good and touched upon these elements.

Why must Tom Rothman exist?

13. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just saw WOLVERINE yesterday. I enjoyed it very much, despite a few flaws I had spotted. In fact . . . I think I enjoyed it more than STAR TREK. I know that my parents felt the same.

Maybe you didn't, but I did. Especially after he had parted from Victor and Stryker for the first time.

14. exodus

LYNCH HIM!!!!!

:lol:

JacksonArcher, I agree. It's supposed to be a X-Men prequel but the Wolvie we get is the tamed one from X3, not the one we first meet in X1.

15. Fish1941

Fish1941 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Of course he started out tame. What did you think? That Wolverine was spontaneously born as a badass loner? That's called piss poor characterization. And I'm glad that the movie avoided that one-dimensional nonsense.

You know what? Never mind. I couldn't care less if anyone agrees with me or not. And I'm quite certain that hardly anyone cares about my opinion . . . unless they're determined that I mindlessly adhere to the popular opinion. I know for damn sure that not only did I liked the film, I liked it better than STAR TREK.

16. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Good for you Fish and I mean that sincerely. I personally preferred ST but I don't think Wolverine was anywhere near as bad as has been made out. And even if it was, that still doesn't mean you're not entitled to your opinion. :)

17. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

There's far more than that, Jackman's non-X-Men movies haven't been that succesful.

18. exodus

You are welcome to believe whatever you wish, be it right or wrong. I'm just sorry you can't tolerate an opinion that differs from you're own.

19. Captain Craig

Wolverine after 21 days in release is now up to $155.2 million. Its last two weekdays(Wed&Thur) were the first days it dropped below at least $1m a day. This long Memorial Day weekend will be its last big push. Its weekdays after this will steadily drop below $500K and be worse in June.

It's showing its age already, imo, and I know suspect it will not be at $175m after the Holiday weekend. Something I originally thought it would do a few weeks back. Still its going to end up with about $180-185m domestic.

20. JacksonArcher

So let me get this straight: X-Men Origins: Wolverine will barely leave theaters with less than $200 million and its sequel is already greenlit. However, Superman Returns earns $200 million and three years later we still have no sequel. What gives, man?! :p

I am, of course, kidding (recognizing that the budgets, marketing and hype for both films are dramatically different).