X-Men Origins: Wolverine - Movie Discussion and Grading (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Ethros, Apr 28, 2009.

?

Grade the movie, bud!

1. A+

2.2%
  2. A

4.3%
  3. A-

14.4%
  4. B+

5.8%
  5. B

18.7%
  6. B-

11.5%
  7. C+

8.6%
  8. C

10.1%
  9. C-

7.9%
  10. D+

2.9%
  11. D

4.3%
  12. D-

4.3%
  13. F

5.0%
  1. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Snikt!

[​IMG]

May as well make this myself if no one else will.

It officially opens tomorrow in Britian, but I'm going to late screening tonight (22:30) in under an hour
    Looking forward to it :techman:

2. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Is Invisible Rogue touching him, or something?

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I went to see a 10:30 showing. too. A friend just text me last minute and asked if I wanted to go.

I'd give it a solid B. I thought it was pretty good definitely better than X-Men 3. Some fairly shoddy effects shots in there, I thought, and some cheesy moments but all in all worth watching.

I'll probably be seeing it again this weekend, with a friend I'd already promised to see it with.

4. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

I'm heading to see it in 2 hours. I'll post something later. Looking forward to it.

5. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I'm seeing it Friday afternoon. Looking forward to it, with some tepidness after X-Men III.

6. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't watch X-Men films, well not if I can help it, but I just noticed today's The Age (Melbourne) newspaper gave it 3 out of 4 stars which I thought was surprising given the harsh reviews they have previously given out to alot of genre stuff.

They did, however, compare it favourably to X-Men 3 (the reviewer described that film as 'underappreciated'), which most of you seem to hate, so I guess that may nullify his opinion somewhat.

7. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

If X3 is considered anything more than a painful, bloody abortion, it's under-reviled.

And no...that not hyperbole.

:)

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Leno asked him about that. Not this pic exactly but in another shot the veins are showing as well. He asked if it was 'shopped.
    He said no not the veins but yes there was some photoshop used to remove the sandbags he was holding in order to get that strained feral look.

I will be seeing this Saturday.

9. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

I have just got back from seeing it. I gave it a B.

While I appreciating learning Wolverine's background I don't think that the movie was anything special. There were some good action scenes but I thought that the story itself was rather predictable. I thought that Liev Schreiber did a good job as Victor. I am not a Hugh Jackman fan - I can take him or leave him - and I don't think he bought anything new to his role.

10. Ethros

Saw it last night then. X-cellent. ho ho
    No, really enjoyed it, great stuff. I'll give it an A-. It was lot better than the guff X3, and I'd rank it between X1 and X2 (X2 being the best)

As it's not out everywhere yet I'll use spoiler code
    Can I just say- Professor Xavier! Fucking awesome cameo!
    And also great seeing the young Cyclops and Emma Frost together.
    Some of the linkup to the X Trilogy like that were great, whereas I thought others didn't work. Maybe I need to watch X2 again but didn't get his adamantium job done at the Alkali Lake base? That certainly wasn't Alkali Lake in the movie.

And also, are Victor & Sabretooth in X1 meant to be the same person. I thought there'd be some explanation at the end as to why he changes appearance all of a sudden. Maybe a scene where Stryker experiments on him to make more animalistic or something, dumbing him down. But no. So if he looked like that since the mid 1800s, it seems odd he would just suddenly change in the next 15 years for the start of X1

And just to say, the actress playing Silver Fox was beeaaaaauuuutiifullll.

Note- Once the first credits appear, don't up and run out as there's a scene about first 30 secs into them. And then another riiiiight at the end of the credits.
    Although...
    Neither are much to write home about. The first has Stryker being arrested for the murder of his superior, which I thought didn't make sense given his role in X2. And the final scene is just Logan in some bar drinking his sorrows, trying to remember

Hope there's a sequel, esp to tie up some loose ends

11. Maab of the Ten Tribes

Maab of the Ten Tribes Captain Captain

^^ What you just said, Ethros, made me feel a lot better. That would be excellent if it fell somewhere between X2 and X1. I could live with that.

12. Ethros

Regarding the post credit scenes, I've read director Gavin Hood has said there are multiple different endings differing from print to print of the film.
    Hmm, I enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I'll go see it again. They'll prob be on Youtube anyway. I'll definitely be getting the DVD though

13. Bob The Skutter

I'll be seeing it again on Friday, mainly because I promised a friend I would before agreeing to see it last night. I didn't wait for the post credit scene, I did see the one with Stryker walking and being arrested though. So I'll make sure to wait till the end.

14. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ok, for those who saw it my big question is: How is Ryan Renolds as Deadpool?

15. Ethros

Crap, just realised on the grading poll I wrote "bud" instead of "bub." :) Oh well

I've read a fair few X-Men comics but never any with Deadpool in, so to be fair I'm not the expert on the character. The charatcer in the film is pretty funny though, I and audience laughed at a lot of his stuff. Although...
    He doesn't actually appear in it that much. He's only in about the first 10-15 minutes, then plot shifts, you hear he's being killed offscreen, and then near the end he comes back... Won't say anymore

Looked the actress up, the lovely Lynn Collins, playing Kayla/Silver Fox.
    Mmmmmm
    [​IMG]

16. Bob The Skutter

I don't know, I've not read too many of the comics and I don't think Deadpool was in any of the ones I read, but I liked Ryan Reynolds, but I nearly always do, so that's no surprise.

Ethros,
    is weapon XI actually played by Reynolds? I didn't think it was him.

17. Ethros

The fight on the cooling tower? Yeah I believe it was. When he first showed up I thought it was meant to be Stryker's son, but then I realised it was Ryan Reynolds

18. Bob The Skutter

I got that it was supposed to be him, but I didn't think it actually was... I don't know, maybe it was the contacts but he just looked wrong.

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Logan was not in any bar. He was in Japan! ;)

Solid movie. Somewhere between X² and the first X-Men. The story behind Logan's past is a mix of Origins and WeaponX, with laaaaaaarge liberties taken from both materials.
    I would have killed to see Dr Cornelius. And the scientists puzzled as to why would a large quantity of adamantium go to the wrists too...

20. Ethros

^ Yeah I thought about that more afterwards. Hope it sets up a sequel with Yuriko and maybe the Silver Samurai or something