X-Men: Days of Future Past - Discussion Thread - SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 21, 2014.

?

Rate X-Men: Days of Future Past

Poll closed May 21, 2015.
  1. A+

24.8%
  2. A

37.0%
  3. A-

19.4%
  4. B+

11.5%
  5. B

1.2%
  6. B-

1.8%
  7. C+

0.6%
  8. C

1.8%
  9. C-

0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0.6%
  13. F

0.6%
  1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Of course, any movie version of the "Dark Phoenix" storyline would have to take substantial liberties with the comics version. I don't think any of us expected (or wanted) the movies to drag in a hitherto-unmentioned alien empire and a thinly-disguised version of the Legion of Superheroes. And it would be hard to introduce the Hellfire Club and do "Dark Phoenix" in one movie.

But, yeah, I'll go to my grave wishing Singer had done X3 instead of Superman Returns.

2. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

^^^(responing to M.A.C.O.)And this is why I said the set up for Jean's death wasn't there. The Uncanny X-Men #137 the ending of The Dark Phoenix storyline is what we should've gotten. But instead in X2 we got a mash up of Weapon X and The Dark Phoenix saga. I could and did accept the movie's continuity, but they should've stayed away from trying to adapt existing comic book storylines. And that includes in my mind DOFP.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

On the subject of not using Cyclops in the third film... he's barely in the first two! :lol: He spends the entire second movie off-screen and basically only existed in the first film to piss off Wolverine.

4. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I don't know where that's from, but that's not the original cover.

5. Nick086

Nick086 Captain Captain

X-Men Days Of Future Past is a stinker in my books. Bryan Singer, what the hell! You made two good movies and now this one is just as bad as X-Men Last Stand. I mean sure he did bring back Scott and Jean back at the end of the movie that I like. I didn't like the idea that Kitty Pryde has this new mutant power and I didn't like how they made the future sentinels they look to much like the Destroyers from the movie Thor, but made them purple and black. Way to go cheap on us loyal fans Bryan Singer and I don't why you and the writers decided to make them look and act more alien than machine....! We didn't get a chance to see the X-Men team using their mutant powers to their full potential such as Colossus, Ice-Man, Sunspot, and Bishop. This whole idea of these future Sentinels adapting to these mutants's powers like that was completely stupid because of Mystique mutant powers....? It would make sense to use Rogue for that idea.

6. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Last edited: Nov 17, 2014
  7. The Old Mixer

^Kind of undermines any arguments about faithfulness to the source material, don't you think?

8. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

How so? They didn't take liberties with the story. Only had the image drawn and inked by different artists.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe it's not worth $2500 but a really nice copy might fetch $100 or more.

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It's still John Byrne's art just reinked and recolored.

11. The Old Mixer

But it's not the original. The original wasn't used in the post.

And that's not reinked original art, either...the poses/perspectives don't match if you compare the two.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Making Cyclops a lead character in X3 wouldn't have worked because he barely did anything in the first two movies. It would've been too jarring a change.

Mystique in these movies at least had more screentime in the First Class film and they killed off nearly everyone from First Class except Xavier, Magneto and Beast to justify her increased role. With Cyclops it wouldn't have worked out the same way.

13. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Agreed. You know, I would like to have seen Cyclops be prominent in the third one. But that's because I'm a fan of the character from the comics/cartoons and know what he can do. But the vast majority of people in the general public who would be going to see this movie didn't know that; all they knew of Cyclops was from X1 & X2. And as has been said in X2 he's barely even it it.

In fact I remember lending a friend the DVDs of 1&2 before 3 came out to try make him a fan. He enjoyed them but I do remember a comment he had was "Cyclops is a bit of a weiner."

So in a way it kinda is Singer's fault; no one really cared about the guy because of his movies; all the general public wanted to see was more Wolverine. So who can blame the studio for giving them what they wanted?

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

X2 writer Michael Dougherty has...

15. The Old Mixer

Interesting...that link wasn't working, but it pointed me in the right direction: Here.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That sounds like a great way to do the Phoenix storyline. But why would Jean destroy San Francisco in this version if there's no cure storyline?

17. steveda19

steveda19 Lieutenant Commander

I just saw this on Netflix. Its one of the worst Sci Fi movies ever! I was very disappointed.

18. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

Which film are you talking about? I don't see any of then on Netflix...

19. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

The kill-off/depowering list is a wee bit longer: Prof X., Jean, Cykes (made him a complete wuss...), Rogue (when the last two movies sent her on a path to empowerment), Mystique and Magneto. Oh, and Bobby Drake being a cheating bastard. The list goes on... This movie is a series of mis-characterizations one after the other.

20. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Other countries besides US and UK get all the blockbusters pretty soon.