Writing In A New Chekov

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Dryson, Jun 20, 2016.

1. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

I would definitely want a female as a replacement for Chekhov, maybe a Sonya Gomez type: cute, spunky, a little high-strung and idealistic, but a genius like Chekhov. Make her Mexican.

2. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I want same Chekov, different actor.

3. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ An unusual choice.

4. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

It worked for ST 2009.

5. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

Well... If we go that direction... Let's recast Spock Prime! :o

6. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We did.

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I have. Paramount's ONLY thoughts about Yelchin/Chekov are "How do we capitalize on this to increase profits?"

8. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

Recast Chekov - no

Reliant - yes - but make this more than a side line of dialogue. I really like the idea of making Reliant's destruction something central to the plot of the future film. Also, The starship geek in me would love to see a complex ship reveal - lots of obscure super close-ups concluding with the pan over the ship's name. As the word "Reliant" scrolls across the screen, the music abruptly transitions to a rendition of Horner's Reliant theme from TWOK.

Okay, with that out of my system, let's get back on topic.

Who to put in the Navigator's chair?

-Riley - this was my first thought as well - lots of juicy Prime content here for NuTrek to explore. This is also the best fit from a TOS five year mission timing perspective.

-Ilia - meh - sure, she's a fit, but I was never a fan of the character. I'm also not sure Paramount would tie NuTrek to TMP. Even Prime completely ignored TMP.

-Savik- much more likely, and I love this idea, and I expect Paramount would be more amenable since it's one more TWOK tie in. The age issue IMO is irrelevant. Kirk refers to her as a cadet, but part of me always thought of her as an established officer who had returned to the academy for command (Captain) training.

-Navigator from the second half of STID - I'd be good with this too. Continuity is satisfied, and the writers get to flush out a brand new character. The Prime feature films frequently introduced new bridge crew (Decker, Ilia, Savik, Valeris, Hawke...)

-Arex - sorry, no, for me it's just too cheesy

-Moreau - really like this idea too, but there is less to work with in terms of an established character. I further suspect many fans, even TOS fans may struggle to remember who she even was.

-Rand - would like to her her, but putting her in the navigator's spot would be a bit jarring IMO

-Chapel - she's a doctor not a navigator (sorry, had to)

9. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

^ Re: Saavik. We know Vulcans are older than they look. Tuvok was in SF at age 80, then left, then came back much later.

Hey, what about Tuvok? He'd be, what, 60 or 70 at this point in the timeline?

As far as Rand or Chapel, different timeline might mean different profession. As much as I think we don't have to have the same group of 7 on the Enterprise as from the prime-line, the characters we knew don't necessarily have to have gone down the same career paths.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

He hasn't been born yet.

11. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

^^^
    And unless his parents were the few thousands that survived the destruction of Vulcan, he never will be.
    :vulcan:

Heh, I'm sure someone will find a way for Tuvok to still be born should there be a need for a character in the new timeline.
    ;)

12. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

I never thought of a possible Ensign Saavik. That could REALLY work!

There wasn't even a need for his character in the Prime timeline...

13. C.E. Evans

Or a need for VOY period by that logic.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Tuvok was born offworld (on the Vulcanis Lunar Colony) so it is possible that his family survived and that he will still be born.

15. C.E. Evans

Assuming that colony exists in the new timeline (it'd be kind of silly for Spock Prime to look for a new planet to establish a Vulcan colony if there was already one around, IMO--maybe the Vulcanis Colony is too small to host 10,000 refugees).

16. Commander Richard

Commander Richard Yo! Man! Premium Member

If they ever want to remake Voyager in this timeline and they want to use Tuvok, he'll be there. Nothing established so far prevents that.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  17. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Too bad the planet is in the Gamma Quadrant, but a Children Of Time type event could work.

Chekov goes to Reliant as First Officer and the Reliant crashes into a planet going back in time and building a life there. Enterprise goes to investigates and finds the survivors who were there for nearly 50 years. Walter Koenig would appear as Chekov with a daughter who could return in a future movie as fresh out of the academy.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  18. Mr. Laser Beam

Actually I find it rather likely that Vulcanis Colony IS New Vulcan.

19. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which has been my problem with the Vulcan survivors having to start a New Vulcan to be their new homeworld. Vulcan has colonies, weren't a few mentioned in Enterprise? The largest and most developed colony should become new capital for the Vulcans, not a new colony that has to be started up because of the homework's destruction.

C.E. Evans likes this.
  20. C.E. Evans

Yeah, I thought that too. Vulcans established the P'Jem Temple on a colony world thousands of years ago. It kind of made sense given the millennia they had been in space longer than Humans, that they had other colonies too. But if they had to go look for one after the loss of Vulcan, either those colonies didn't exist in the new timeline, were destroyed too, or somehow were not capable of supporting 10,000 Vulcan survivors.