Would you like a bsg style reboot of Star trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Faria, May 18, 2013.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope, I never said that. All I said, in the post that kicked off this sidebar, was that doing that on a practical spacecraft is not a "non-problem", as you'd called it.

Not all problems are equally problematic, obviously.

But in practical spaceflight, when mass is a premium, nothing is trivial. When mass is a premium, everything's a problem.

2. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Abrams's movies are already essentially a reboot.

3. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

Not really. BSG (the new one) is incredibly depressing, there's very little humor in it and even though we own the box set, I have yet to rewatch it because it's such a downer. Star Trek was never like that, and I wouldn't want it to be.

4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I did.

;)

5. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Abrams Trek is a reboot but it's not a BSG-style reboot.

Closer to a Nolan-style reboot.

6. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

One of the great things about nBSG was that it was different from Star Trek. Different being the key.

I don't think franchises should emulate each other to the point of interchangeability. It's much better that they play to the strengths of what makes them unique.

You can't have Star Trek without aliens.

As far as the technology, what seems magical today might not be hundreds of years from now.

I'm not saying I think Star Trek is an accurate portrayal of what the future will be. I'm definitely not saying that. But only projecting forward based on today is equally inaccurate. Progress can move backwards, forwards, or sideways. A new factor can come in that changes everything. Something that we think might be the wave of the future might only go so far. A technology might emerge that we might think of as ridiculous today.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

this

One of the many great things about Trek is its rewatchability. Though I think nuBSG is a "good" show, I have no desire to watch it again.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well, why ? I mean, the ships are so big. Why not just remove lifts altogether and replace them with stairs and ladders, right ? I mean, why should the crew have to walk or run all the way down a deck ?

9. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

not really:

the tos enterprise has a saucer of 128 meters; my school is about the same lenght,and we don't have orizontall lift, we just walk.

e.g. the bathrooms are about 80 meters away by my classroom, we walk to go in bathroom and we spend few second to do this

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

BSG was a great series but rebooting Trek using BSG's restrictions would make Trek into something other than Trek so my answer is...no.

11. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

BSG reboot of Star Trek?

No! No! Never!:thumbdown:

12. Unimatrix Zero

Unimatrix Zero Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

This is spot on. Some of us cannot stomach the latest trend to Emo-ize every TV show.

Star Trek is a pretty upbeat program which is a huge part of its enduring success. It's simply fantastic to watch an imaginative show that enables you to escape the crap of everyday life and have a bit of a laugh with its subtle humour.

This could partly explain why Enterprise was such a flop - it was venturing unsuccessfully into BSG territory.

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree.

This is one of the prime reasons that for years I deliberately didn't watch the Dominion War seasons of DS9 (eventually I did).

:)

14. Belz...

The new Enterprise is much bigger, and you need to travel through several decks to go where you're going. Airports have conveyors for people, why not turbolifts on starships ? You haven't given any reason why they are dumb.

15. Faria

Faria Lieutenant Red Shirt

1- the new enterprise sucks

2- turbolift and conveyors are to different things

I think that 2 crossed converoys in the largest saucer deck and mayby one for deck in the enginering section could be more realistic

16. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Ugh, can we please make a distinction between 'Depressing' and 'Emo'?

Not everything that's negative, that shows an unhappy side to the human condition, that expresses angsty emotions is 'Emo'.

Something's only Emo if you have no legitimate reason to be depressed and emotional, which the cast of BSG clearly did.

It's true though, BSG is less rewatchable than other shows because it's less fun. It had its share of humorous scenes but most of the series is a constant stream of death.

17. Belz...

That is completely irrelevant. It is and it is bigger, so quick transportation horizontally makes sense.

Not in function they aren't. They both allow people to move from one point to another within a structure with minimal effort. Moreso in the case of the lifts.

More realistic compared to what ? You have provided no reason that turbolifts are unrealistic.

18. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

^He's claimed a number of Star Trek technologies are unrealistic, hasn't given reasons for any of those either.

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I don't want Trek to be realistic. I get enough realism out of real life.

20. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

I like BSG for what it is but I don't think that the authoritarian, military and post 9/11-ish elements of BSG would fit Trek. You can go to the dark side in Trek but only when there is light at the end of the tunnel appearing quickly enough.