Would Voq/Tyler still have a Klingon lifespan and live till the 24th/25h century?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Yistaan, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like Bob the Discount Klingon from "Friday's Child". :lol:

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

While I do agree with you, one of the writers actually tried to say on After Trek that Darvin did undergo the same process as Voq Tyler. Which makes no damn sense, both for the reasons you state and presumably a drastic surgical overhaul by a race which doesn't value medical science should result in health complications that wouldn't make living to 100 possible, let alone well passed it. And then, why would any intelligence agency subject their operatives to an irreversible procedure? You're basically guaranteeing you can only use your operatives once and only once.
    Thing is, the red flags McCoy noticed with Darvin were irregular heartbeat and blood pressure, which he detected with one wave of the tricorder and based on that, immediately surmised Darvin was a Klingon. Tyler was in Disco's sickbay and presumably had a full work-up done after he was rescued. That would mean Culber overlooked Tyler's irregular heartbeat and blood pressure. In fact he would have done it twice, since we see Tyler being looked after in sickbay again after the away mission he went on with Michael and Saru. Culber only started to detect a hint of something after Tyler begged him to, and that's his third known time being scanned by one of Starfleet's most advanced medical computers.
    Meh, don't feel bad. The entire year I was 29 I basically lived in a state of constant fear of the looming three oh. Then I hit 30 and I realized it wasn't so bad after all. Now I'm approaching 34 and I got health issues cropping up that are making me realize my youth is behind me. Nothing life threatening, and it is easily medicated (a vitamin deficiency) but it's not doing my mental health any favours.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nah, Bob had this weird beard/sideburns gone wild thing.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

Klingon Bob, Son of Klingon Bob Ross.

5. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Happy little trees are without honor! :klingon:

Turtletrekker and Lord Garth like this.
  6. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

Bob Ross was a bad ass, blood thirsty warrior. If Klingons want to scare their children, they tell them stories about "The Ross"

Lord Garth likes this.
  7. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

But we now learn (if we didn't previously already) that this is a stereotype: Klingons come in all colors, and some have advanced technologies Earth or the UFP can only dream of, including medical ones. Tyloq himself was ignorant of the potential of nanotech possessed by House Kor in "Point of Light"...

Wouldn't this be optimal in many cases? It saves you the trouble of killing the operative afterwards.

Timo Saloniemi

8. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, given evidence of Darvin, then the answer is Yes, Klingons live past 150 easily, so He would make 2365. now 2399? might be a bit of a stretch..

9. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Really? That seems a bit thin.

10. Nerys Myk

It's a TV show that needed a quick reveal and solution to the problem of the week.

11. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, we don't actually know what McCoy saw in the tricorder. He started with heartbeat all wrong and temperature, and then he stopped. He saw something horrifying and said "This man is a Klingon".

Maybe Starfleet tricorders updated since Discovery to identify the ghastly organ transplants etc. that go into these transformations, and McCoy decided to spare Kirk the gory details.

12. Nerys Myk

An extra penis?

13. Crewman6

Crewman6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. Crewman6

What, exactly, is a "Klingon lifespan" Because Darvin was alive at the time of TOS and later in the 24th Century? So was McCoy. Humans also routinely live decades above 100.

15. Nerys Myk

We also saw Kor, Kang and Koloth. And I guess the Albino.

16. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, TOS Klingons had a slight greenish tinge to the makeup (at least the darker versions such as in Errand of Mercy). So something would have to be done about that as well.

Kor

17. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering all the Klingon designs we've seen over 50 years, greenish tinges seem the least of our worries. I mean, we now know from L'Rell that Klingons can change the shape of their heads. :klingon:

Turtletrekker likes this.
  18. Nerys Myk

He's from House Koloth, who look like pale hipsters.
    [​IMG]

19. Crewman6

I know, but my point was that it's not just Klingons that live to old age, but humans, too. (to say nothing of Vulcans.)

20. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I vaguely remember that before the TOS Klingon trio came back in DS9, fandom had this idea that Klingons actually had shorter lifespans than humans. I could be remembering wrong, though.

Kor