Would TMP have been better had they used the TOS uniforms?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by CaptainMurdock, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of course. But I was referring to the individual talent in those other areas. Obviously the director deserves a great deal of credit (and consequently "blame" by that line of thinking) for putting it all together, directing, and making certain changes that had major impacts on the film, but there is something to be said for the players in those categories I mentioned who carried out the vision but also put their own individual marks on the film above and beyond what Robert Wise asked for or ever expected. So that's why I pointed out those four areas which I think were particularly great in this film in addition to the director.

2. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed.

3. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Roddenberry farted on paper. Some other guys came about and tried to make it better only to add to the stink. It's a miracle the film is as good as it is.

The fact of the matter, TMP is one of only two Trek films to be made by a proper filmmaker. The other being, ST09, of course.

4. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Wait, I thought this was why TMP was such a success?

5. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I think my head just exploded at this question. Maybe it was a meteorite...

RAMA

6. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Are you referring to director as the "proper filmmaker"?
    I'd think Nick Meyer would qualify. Maybe even Nimoy, who has much experience beyond his acting career.

I'm not saying who's good or bad, but I'd say Meyer deserves a "proper filmmaker" credit in addition to Wise and Abrams.

7. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Look, I enjoyed Time After Time as much as the next guy, but as a director Nicholas Meyer wasn't/isn't in the same league as Robert Wise.

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't know what a "proper filmmaker" is, but I wouldn't put Meyer's or Abrams's output (yet) up there with Blood on the Moon, The Day the Earth Stood Still, Run Silent Run Deep, West Side Story, The Haunting, The Sound of Music, The Sand Pebbles, The Andromeda Strain etc.

9. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Was it everyone's, or just Captain Pec... er, I mean... Decker?

10. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:guffaw:

11. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Ascetically, I think it would've been a good move. I don't think that it would fix the problems with pace and acting that bother that movie.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Bodies of work say a lot.

Lots of people can draw, but there are only a few of them whose work one might call "art" hand hang on a wall.

There's a reason why Wise was offered so many great films. There's a reason Abrams is offered so many great films now. There's also a reason Meyer was give an couple of minor changes and then never heard from again. Likewise for Baird, Carson, Nimoy, Frakes and of course Shatner.

13. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh. As I wrote, not disputing who is good or bad or better. Surely Meyer and Wise are not equals, and all that.

Beyond comparing one to another,
    I'd just say that--strictly on his own merits--Nick Meyer qualifies as a "proper filmmaker". Why wouldn't he? Is he some rank amateur hack?

Is he great, a cinematic genius? I'm not saying that. But I'd think he deserves at least to be called a proper filmmaker. And I'd give that to Nimoy, too.

I don't think one need be a stellar cinematic legend to earn the title of "proper filmmaker".

14. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All TMP needed was a proper budget for some good CGI Rock Monsters at the end . . . oh wait . . . wrong motion picture

15. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

I see superficial changes like uniforms and FX in terms of TMP or TFF as akin to putting a dog in a tuxedo. You know? It's still going to eat it's own vomit and piss on the carpet even if in classy dress.

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Older or Phase II unifoms would look better but not help the plot at all.

17. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

TOS uniforms would have worked in TMP. J.J. Abrams proved that in the 2009 film.

18. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rather like TMP. I don't have a problem with the uniforms and the depiction of the ship is my favourite from all the shows and movies but I agree that putting the actors in TwoK uniforms or TOS uniforms would not have changed the movie much. I would prefer the increased pace of the Directors Cut plus any additional character scenes from the Special Longer Version. I do like how science fiction Spock's trip was but I think it would also have helped if a landing party, featuring more than just Kirk, Spock, and McCoy, had taken a trip inside V'Ger to give us some action and interaction off the bridge - maybe pursuing Decker and Ilia would have worked?

19. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The only thing that would have made TMP better is if Shatner had worn the "Jim" rug instead of the "Proto-TJ Curly".

[​IMG]

20. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That looks awesome! I'm going to take some screencaps tonight and make my own photo manipulations. :bolian: