Worth upgrading to Blu Ray?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by PaddyRyan1706, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, the point of anamorphic widescreen is not just to see more of the picture. It's to see the correct framing/composition as the director intended it. IIRC, a movie shot in Super 35 will sometimes have boom mics and other junk in the area outside the intended aspect ratio, because that area isn't meant to be seen.

Kor

Ovation, Sibyl and Firebird like this.
  2. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Someone's going to have to explain all this to me. I'm a simpleton when it comes to all this technical aspect ratio and film type talk...but I find it absolutely fascinating despite my ignorance.

3. Vger23

The problem with having a whiz-bang remaster of TVH is that, while it may have been popular during its theatrical release, it

1. Hasn't aged well
    2. Is the least visually interesting of all the Trek movies. Even TFF is more visually interesting than TVH. They're more likely to go with that kind of upgrade to the films with great visual appeal (not just FX, but cinematography, etc)

Kor likes this.
  4. Sibyl

Sibyl Caffeine Pill Popper Rear Admiral

True, but I wish they'd treat the movies as a whole, not as individual installments when it comes to remasters and updated technologies.

5. Sibyl

I don't know how old you are, but there were certain ones of us that would seek out (and pay MUCH more) for the letterboxed VHS and later DVD copies of movies because we wanted to see the movies as-intended (as in, what was presented on the big screen, not "formatted to fit your television".

Ovation likes this.
  6. Vger23

Oh no, I get it! I used to go to Suncoast Motion Picture Store in the mall and buy just about any "letterboxed" VHS movie I could find!

I just don't get the technicalities of various aspect ratios and what is ideal. That's all.

7. Sibyl

Ah. Got it!

I miss Suncoast (previously Paramount Pictures!). That's where I first laid eyes on Shatner's TWOK jacket and some Trek III props!

They wouldn't allow me to take pictures though! Boo!

8. Vger23

I used to by the Star Trek movie posters from there as they were released. So, I got TUC through INS from Suncoast (if I remember correctly) . Had to order the rest online. Only one I have that's not an original theatrical poster is TMP (super expensive now).

Sibyl likes this.
  9. Sibyl

I used to buy the TOS VHS cassettes there, and whatever widescreen sci-fi movies I could find! I think I paid $100 for Aliens.

Vger23 likes this.
  10. Firebird

Firebird Commodore Commodore

On the Cinerama screen, in glorious Technicolor.
    Here's a brief from our friends at the Widescreen Museum that explains the whole concept of aspect ratios in respect to the various widescreen processes: http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/widescreen/aspectratio.htm

The first row of "matted" widescreen ratios is how the Super 35 process works, where the entire frame of film is exposed, and then is later modified (matted) to the director's chosen version.

Kor likes this.
  11. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Absolutely, if you have a largish TV (42 in or bigger). Admittedly my husband and I didn't have all the movies on DVD, so the choice was easy when we got TMP to NEM for 50 euros.

12. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep! I watch my stuff on an old Panasonic portable set from 2000 and with Trek and the Space 1999 set from Network it looks fantastic!
    JB

13. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I took a couple buses and walked several blocks to buy TMP-DE on DVD from the nearest Suncoast on the very day it was released, for an outrageous sum of nearly $40. The frustrating thing was, before the official release date of TMP-DE, they were already selling a complete set of all the TOS movies which included the DE, but they refused to sell the DE on its own until the official date! :mad:

Kor

Vger23 likes this.
  14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

LED Wall projector.

Fiddle with the focus, and you can vary the size of your screen from nothing, to a football field.

15. Steven P Bastien

Steven P Bastien Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

3 steps ahead of where I was 2 seconds ago
    If you are buying new, Blu-Ray makes sense. If you already own it on DVD, no need to upgrade. Unless, it's one of your all time favorite movies. Then go for it. Or, if you are rich and have money to burn, upgrade all DVDs to Blu-Ray and send the DVDs to me, thank you very much!

johnnybear likes this.
  16. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

Hmm... I'd challenge that assumption with some of Oppo's players.