Worst attempts at accents

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Miss Chicken, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Or Picard could have been a very adept learner of English. His Anglophilia may have been part of his brother's annoyance with him.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

She was supposed to be English? It never occurred to be since the character in the books is an American.

3. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

If I recall correctly, the dialogue in the film sort of gets around this by stating that Connery's character is a Lithuanian. Perhaps Lithuanians sound Scottish to Russians, and Russians sound English to Lithuanians? ;)

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

Jean-Claude Van Damme in anything where he's not Belgian. They even lampshade it in Timecop when he stops a purse-snatcher and then tells his wife 'he read my mind' and she replies to the effect 'with your accent, he'd have to'.

5. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Anyone who attempts an Australian accent. No one (including otherwise supremely talented mimics such as Meryl Streep and Tracey Ullman) seems even remotely capable of getting it right, and the attempts are often atrocious (Lost features several examples, particularly the woman who played Clare's mother).

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    It's been ages since I read the book, but I recall Jack's wife in HFRO was English. I don't have the book to verify that, though. Gates starts off with some kind of bad RP line about the kids, then the next is straight up standard American about being late. Brit or American in the film, it was a bad delivery.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The only time I can recall Connery even trying to do an accent was when he pretended to be Dutch in Diamonds are Forever...on that basis it's probably a good thing he didn't try more often.

As for Rickman, I think the point was supposed to be that although he's German he's a modern urbane, well travellened and sophistcated terrorist about town, hence the jokes about a classical eduction and Saville row suits.

Irons did at least give Simon Gruber an accent!

8. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

You know I always assumed McClane was being sarcastic with that line and that it wasn't that Rickman's American accent was rubbish but Gruber's. No idea how good or bad his German accent was as, because of where I live, I pretty much grew up around mixed German and British accents.

It can all get a bit subjective though. I recall on one of the B5 commentaries JMS notes that people complained at how fake President Luchenko's Eastern European accent sounded...which was ironic considering Beata Pozniak is Polish and she was using her normal voice.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  9. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Groundskeeper Willie

And Anthony la Paglia in Frasier

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It won't sound like an English one, considering no other ethnic accents seemed to change in the same course of time.

11. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Why? The Australian and the New Zealand accents were created in less then half that time.

Besides doesn't Data at some point says that French is an obscure language, I took that this meant that English had for the main part had replaced French in France.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2012
  12. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Almost everyone in Eastern Promises did a very good job with Russian accent and speaking Russian.

13. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Shyeah that's gonna happen. Hell will have froze over.

14. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

i reckon it means that France won't fare well during WW3.

15. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

In that case, her English accent was darn good! :)

I don;'t know WHAT she was trying to do with that American accent, then.

16. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That's hardly an observation unique to Ferguson. People were saying that as far back as when the movie first came out in 1986.

17. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

He actually tried somewhat to have an English accent in Dr. No. He didn't do a very good job and his effort at having one declined the more he played James Bond.

18. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Pretending to be Dutch in Diamonds Are Forever was played for comedy, anyway. You're thinking of the, "Who is your floor?" bit, right? The bad accent just fit in with the strange humorous vibe that permeated the whole film.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah the Who is your floor bit :)

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I had a hard time buying Natalie Portman's English accent in V for Vendetta.