Word Usage in Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Laura Cynthia Chambers, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While perusing Memory Alpha, I've noticed that some phrases are (mostly) unique to certain Trek shows. Hyperventilat(e, ed, ing, ion), for instance, appears only in Voyager. (3 of 5 times it's applied to Neelix.)

Has anyone else noticed this?

2. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

The term "some kind of" tended to get overused in nineties Trek.

Kor

Brass and Qonundrum like this.
  3. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

571 hits on Chakoteya for that phrase.

4. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

All Trek shows from 1966-2005 use the word "technology". Only newer entities seem to use the toddlerfied version, termed as "tech".

Seriously. If it's big and does critical things that help people, it's technology. If it's an overpriced toy to pacify, distract as the 4 to 6" shiny thing that they are known to do, and arguably kill honeybees with signal distortions but all us kids hated calciferous vegetables in favor of corn chips anyway, and/or cause cancer cells to waken and screech "Cooie, I'm awake now, time for radiation treatments!" inside who knows how many species of critters, then maybe "tech" is qualified as a noun, but not to be confused with "technician".

5. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Quantum" became popular with TNG and later shows. To my knowledge, never used in TOS. (Although Demora Sulu says 'quantum interference' in Generations, I'll still count that as TNG ). Which I find interesting, since the term quantum mechanics itself was first used in a 1924 paper, so it was definitely known back at the time of TOS. I take it therefore 'quantum' became cool as a sciency buzzword somewhere between TOS and TNG ?

6. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I seem think Geordie might have used it a lot too...

But now, I can't stop imagining Chakotay saying, "it's some kind of hot-tub time machine". :guffaw:

JonnyQuest037 likes this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember a fanfic that made fun of that, with the bridge officer reporting "some kind of energy surge" and the commanding officer irritably replying "could you at least tell me what kind of energy surge it was?"

8. Kor

Ah, yes. Quantum torpedoes, quantum phase variances, quantum flux, quantum filaments, quantum resonance, quantum oatmeal, etc. :ack:

Kor

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  9. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Quantum Singularity is the term I remember hearing the most. Most physicists would probably just call it a singularity, but I think for technobabble purposes, the term used was better. Unfortunately, when I think of the term now, I can't help but hear Auralio Voltaire's "Sexy Data Tango".:guffaw:

10. Brass

Brass Lieutenant Red Shirt

Tachyon beam seems to be a phrase that pops up a lot. Also ____ distortion. (Fill in the blank)

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

"Double Dumbass On You!!"

Brefugee likes this.
  12. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Spatial, energy, localized, time, wormhole, temporal, polarized magnetic, subspace, synchronic, space-time, theta flux, frequency, dimensional, gravimetric, subspace field, sensory, warp, timewarp, chronometric, graviton, asynchronous mode, Orassin, gravimetric field, local field, Cochrane, inertial, thermal, subharmonic, wave, and optical.

That's all the ones I could find.

Brass likes this.
  13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kate Mulgrew has a story where a lady told her that she quit watching Voyager because she couldn't figure out what a quantum singularity was.

Kor likes this.
  14. Kor

What, no quantum distortion?? :eek:

Kor

Tim Thomason likes this.
  15. Valenti

Valenti Captain Captain

I hated cascade failures and level three diagnostics with a passion.

16. FreddyE

FreddyE Captain Captain

Whats the difference between the diagnostic levels supposed to be anyway? Level 1 = a sloppy diagnosis, 2 = a little less sloppy, 3 = actually trying to find out what the problem is?

17. ChasFink

ChasFink Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Higher levels require more time and resources. I think a level 3 proceeds at a pace compatible with a 44-minute TV show.

18. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought it was the other way around…. heavier diagnostics being designated by lower numbers, 1 being the heaviest, for which the entire system had to go offline. Memory Alpha seems to say this, too.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Diagnostic_mode