Wonder Woman's new look: At long last, pants!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Christopher, Jun 30, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed his first issue of "Grounded" as well. Simple story but poignant and literally bringing the character back in touch with the people he's sworn to protect. I look forward to the rest of the arc.

2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Hey, yeah. He's right.

3. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

I forgot about JMS's Silver Surfer: Requiem. That one was very good. My favorite is still Midnight Nation, though.

Regarding Superman: I think JMS brings a thoughtfulness to the Superman character that's often lacking.

Edit: I gave up on Supreme Powers after a while. It didn't seem to be going anywhere. I much prefer his story-arcs that have a set ending.

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

JMS on Superman is uncomfortably reminding me of the abysmal Jim Lee run on Superman back around 2002. I can't stand emo Superman. It's why I didn't like the new movie. Superman should be the definition of optimism dammit :p

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

There is a difference between an optimist and a pollyanna. You seem to confuse the two.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

It's not as if the guy is spending his time watching old soap operas. He's wandering around doing good deeds and thinking things through (getting "Grounded"--the title of the storyline). It's perfectly reasonable for the character after having lost Krypton all over again.

Edit: For anybody interested in why JMS enjoys the idea of walking around to clear one's head and get a sense of one's world (shown more than once in his fiction): check out the essay he wrote at the back of the Midnight Nation graphic novel.

7. Admiral Shran

Admiral Shran Admiral Admiral

What the hell is this?! :wtf:

Why don't we just have Superman get rid of the "S" on his chest? Or have Batman stop wearing his cape and cowl?

Why in God's name would anyone change perfection and turn Wonder Woman into a goth reject?! I mean for crying out loud, her outfit is ICONIC!

I'm very upset by this.

8. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I understand they've done that on TV for years. I haven't watched it (hell, I didn't even watch Lois & Clark because of the emphasis on Lois and Clark), but it would seem we're already there. Me, I like a little Superman in my Superman.

9. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I may give this a try, though I don't care for the new costume. Still, a new costume is preferable to what the third volume started with, the wrong character as Wonder Woman. Dropped the title and haven't cared to pick it up since. Wonder Woman's world destroyed and having to find her place in the world has been a recurring plot that it seems like a creaking hampster wheel. Maybe JMS can make it seem fresh this time, but I am not expecting much.

10. God Magnus

God Magnus Commodore Commodore

A world where criminals operate above the law...
    To be fair, several of the iconic elements are there including the eagle on her chest, the bracelets and her lasso. It that sense "Smallville" has changed Superman's look more than this look even comes close to doing.

Also, I find all the hype about WW's changed costume interesting. It's clear in the issue this happens that this is an "Elseworlds" type story where something has gone kaboom with continuity and WW is going to be fighting to fix what has gone wrong. To me, this is no more jarring than many of the Batman/Superman outfit changes from many of the 90's Elseworlds tales.

11. SiorX

SiorX Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

So, I know we're only one ish in, but is this worth picking up?

I was thinking I might start buying WW again, since I reckon I'm going to stop buying single-issues of Birds of Prey. (I love Simone, but I just can't stand Benes).

I've never read any of JMS's comics, though. What's the general consensus. Worth a shot, or wait for trades?

12. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I believe next week is the first full issue (#601) by JMS. Given the preview in 600, I assume we will get the full set up of Diana's new world. I am rally on the fence about buying this, I like his writing well enough, but the WW relaunch and the writers that followed completely soured me on getting the title to the point that I might wait for the trades.

13. Admiral_Young

JMS has said at comic con this weekend that there is a definite story reason to the costume change and that Diana will still be interacting with the DCU which is even more confusing to me since it's supposed to take place in an alternate reality unless I have misread that first JMS interview. He also stated that the plot has to do with Schrodinger's Cat theory.

As for Superman...yes it's much more than Supes acting EMO although funny that you mention that Mr. Light because JMS stated that "Batman" (it wasnt' clarified which Batman but I'll assume Bruce) will confront Supes (maybe when Clark is in Gotham on his walkabout) and think he's insane or something. It wasn't a joke. As JMS has said there's one way you can get Superman back in touch with the people and that's by having him interact act with them and people are on the ground not in the sky. He's using the events of the past few months to help Superman realize who he's supposed to be proecting and that's the people. Sometimes heroes can be swept up in the bigger chaos of events and crises and lose track of the actual people they're supposed to project. I'm enjoying it so far. Wonder Woman...we'll see about.

14. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

At Comic-Con yesterday, JMS had a group of actors who did a staged reading of the next issue, 601, while the pages were displayed on the big screen. It was amazing.

Not everything JMS has done in comics have been to my personal taste but overall, I'm willing to give anything he writes a try because his hits far outweigh his misses.

Jan

15. Admiral_Young

Well I read the issue and am still a little confused about what is going on. I can't say if I liked it or not because I was confused by it. Not sure if I'll be continuing to read this or not.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

^
    :drool: Nice!

:cool:

18. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

19. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's not wearing the pantyhose like Debra Winger had on. I don't mind, but she's not wearing them.

20. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Not much to be confused about at this point because we don't know much. We'll find out more as Diana finds out more.

JMS did a staged reading of the issue at Comic-Con while the pages were displayed on a big screen. Very cool!

Jan