Spoilers Wonder Woman - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Commander Richard, May 31, 2017.

?

Give it a grade.

1. A+

21.0%
  2. A

32.4%
  3. A-

14.2%
  4. B+

13.6%
  5. B

9.7%
  6. B-

2.3%
  7. C+

2.8%
  8. C

0.6%
  9. C-

1.1%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1.1%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1.1%
  1. M'rk son of Mogh

M'rk son of Mogh Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If there are valid reasons, subjective or not (and that's all these opinions can ever be), they can most certainly be just as enlightened.

Again. What's with all of the black and white thinking??

2. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, what is up with that? I mean, you're complaining about these movies and then you dismiss anyone who tries to explain to you what they like about these movies, so who is really employing a "simplistic and very narrow view" here... :shrug:

ichab, Turtletrekker and Ovation like this.
  3. M'rk son of Mogh

What positives about these movies am I dismissing?

4. dahj

Considering you've described them as "garbage", my guess is all of them... :shrug:

Ovation likes this.
  5. M'rk son of Mogh

That wasn't dismissing an individuals positives for why they liked BvS. That was my saying Wonder Woman was correct to ignore the crappy movies which made it that much better for it. That was a debate about "deus ex machina", kind of a way different context than a current debate on Donner vs Snyder.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Except it didn't ignore BvS, the whole WWI flashback was set off because Diana got the picture from BvS.
    The movies can still be improved without completely rebooting the whole thing or ignoring parts of it. I've enjoyed all of the DCEU movies so far, and I'd hate to see them erased from their timeline or ignored. They can easily continue to tweak the tone and style of the movies while still building off of what we've gotten in the movies released so far.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2018
    ichab likes this.
  7. M'rk son of Mogh

You're right, it didn't completely ignore BvS, just some of what it established. At the same time, you didn't need to see any of it at all when going into Wonder Woman. Nothing really carried over. In Gadot's own words:

ā€œIā€™m giving you a very honest answer ā€“ sometimes, in a creative process, you establish something that is not necessarily the right decision, but then you can always correct it and change it. So Wonder Woman will always be there as far as she concerns for mankind.ā€

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

And I really don't have a problem with that kind of thing, especially if they want to fix some of the elements people have a problem with, but you can do that without ignoring or erasing the entire movies.

9. dahj

Several people already pointed out to you how WW doesn't "ignore the crappy movies"... yet you've dismissed their arguments here and are banging on the exact same thing you did several pages ago.

And then you whinge about others not considering alternate viewpoints... :rolleyes:

ichab likes this.
  10. M'rk son of Mogh

So... all of these out of context points (of which I had no intention of bringing up again, but I took the bait, that's on me) is to disagree with my saying there are more than 2 ways to interpret Superman in the movies? That's quite the roundabout way to do so.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Even the Donner way didn't work out...the only truly good one of those films is Superman I. Superman II had lots of characterization problems.

Tosk likes this.
  12. dahj

Nope, I'm just pointing out how it's hypocritical of you to complain about someone else's "very narrow simplistic black and white view", while simultaneously liberally expressing your own "very narrow simplistic black and white view" of these movies over the last few pages of this thread.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Why should I not forget this? I don't give a toss about Ratner, and no one mentioned him as far as I know. I'm not even sure what you said is true. Do you mean Snyder?

I don't want that, so you're wrong there. I just want good movies.

I don't hate Man of Steel or Suicide Quad. I think Man of Steel could have been a lot better and made some frustrating choices, and I think Suicide Squad is a gigantic mess of a movie, but I don't hate either of them. I do hate Batman v Superman. But it has nothing to do with "not being a Donner movie."

You can ignore previous movies without necessarily erasing or contradicting them. I for one would love a Superman sequel where they just don't bother talking about all the shit that has gone down. Just tell a good story and make a good movie. :)

M'rk son of Mogh likes this.
  14. M'rk son of Mogh

Lol, I still have no idea how the two debates relate, but that's okay. I guess hating BvS but loving Wonder Woman is black and white thinking on par with saying there are literally only 2 ways to make a Superman movie. The straw men are running wild on this one!

Calling a movie garbage is opinion. Not right or wrong. Claiming there are only two ways to make a movie or that people that don't like A only like B is factually wrong. That's the big difference here.

Edit: Wait. It's narrow minded to not like movies now?

15. dahj

Nobody claimed that "factually". The post you're referring to is even prefaced with an "IMHO". :shrug:

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Just think of all the 4.0s!

17. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

This is a misconception and a fallacical argument designed to be dismissive of BvS.

This has been stated in the past, but nothing about Wonder Woman is in any way contradictory to or dismissive towards BvS or Diana's characterization therein.

18. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Turtletrekker and crookeddy like this.
  19. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

This is apparent to anyone who...

1. Actually watched the movies.
    2. Do not have a certain film franchise's blinders on, so they will say anything to attack another.

If other current franchises survive many poor to abysmal entries, any series can move on. In DC's case, in the few films DC's released, there's more strong content than weak productions.

20. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto.