Wonder Woman (2017)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by M.A.C.O., Jan 18, 2016.

1. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Good reviews can be seen as a bad thing. Cool to know.

2. CommanderRaytas

CommanderRaytas DISCO QUEEEEEEN Rear Admiral

Intergalactic Planetary Planetary Intergalactic
    I think optimism is fine, but not everything needs to be bubbly to be good. I liked BvS just fine (the extended cut, not the theatrical version) and am sure Wonder Woman will be good. But I'm not counting on too much wheeeee.

3. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

Yes, it can be. Look at "The Force Awakens" or "La La Land".

4. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I definitely need to see this for myself

There needs to be some feel of optimism... that's the feel some of us have from when we read the comics and other exposure to heroes.

I am not expecting the Wonder WOman TV series type of optimism. Rather , Captain America The First Avenger would be my standard to compare...lots of "depressing" things...but Chris Evans and the team (from both sides of the camera) gave us a real hero we could appreciate and get behind.

That is what I am hoping from WOnder Woman, and that's what it looks like we might have. And if so, that will be the standard many of us would like the rest of the DC FU to have

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Her attitude in BvS might be explained by the 100 years since the Great War ended, Humanity hasn't stopped fighting in wars over the globe.

Someone stating their opinion as fact I see.

CommanderRaytas likes this.
  6. LJones41

Why? With the exception of "Captain America: The First Avenger", none of the other Captain America films were "OPTIMISTIC". Even the 2011 movie ended on a sad note. Yet, no one bitched or moaned about the lack of optimism in those films.

I'm sorry. Le me rephrase myself. I "believe" it can be - like "The Force Awakens" and "La La Land".

7. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Or they can just ignore BvS altogether.

Hound of UIster likes this.
  8. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

I think anybody would be through with man's world after experiencing WW1.

Jax likes this.
  9. Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs

Burning Hearts of Qo'nOs Commodore Commodore

And after the sequel, I'd give up on the whole franchise.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  10. LJones41

Maybe I should just give up on the Marvel franchise instead. The MCU hasn't really been at its best since 2014. Neither has the franchise's fandom.

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Maybe you should, and instead of announcing it, you should just stop.

Gaith and Morpheus 02 like this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

There really is just no pleasing you is there? You get pissed every time somebody says something bad about the DCEU movies, and now people are actually saying good things about one and you're still not happy.:rolleyes:

13. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Unless I'm mistaken, LJones41 is objecting to the notion that Wonder Woman is so fundamentally different from the other films in the DCEU that it warrants or is more deserving of praise, and is unwilling to give critics approval for saying positive things about Wonder Woman even if the film is genuinely deserving of said positive comments.

I'm also wary of trying to paint Wonder Woman as somehow being an "agent of change" as far as the DCEU is concerned.

14. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Some early reviews.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][/URL]

[​IMG]

I like how some of the reviewers had to drag Snyder, while praising another director's work. I think they just don't like Snyder. I've read his politics rub people the wrong way.

15. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, since he's the big reason his two movies are pretty bad (for a lot of people like me that dislike them, at least), it makes sense to mention him if Wonder Woman is as good as it seems like it will be. I mean, yeah, his weird Ayn Randian stuff is terrible, but in this case probably has little to do with him being mention as bad outside of the fact that his philosphy is why his movies are depressing, violent and have no concept of superheroes.

Basically, it looks like WW is good because it actively goes against the style of Snyder's movies, at least character/story wise. So, it makes sense Snyder would be brought up, and for a lot of people it would be "Look how Wonder Woman didn't do the crap Snyder did". That's just my guess, based on the early things said about the movie.

16. LJones41

If that's the case, then Synder and his fellow scriptwriters have gone against Wonder Woman's characterization in "Batman v. Superman". At one point, this new movie has to bring her to that moment that leads her to become that cynical woman from the 2016 movie. If "Wonder Woman" is that "optimistic" as a film, then Synder, the other screenwriters and Patty Jenkins have failed.

But all people are concerned about is the DCEU having some "fun-filled", slap-happy movie with lots of action to enjoy. One-dimensional crap without any regard to the franchise's overall narrative and characterizations. And I'm so tired of people complaining about Synder's "dark and depressing" style (which seemed to be the main reason why so many have been bitching and moaning about the DCEU), and at the same time, ignoring the less optimistic films of the MCU . . . like most of the Captain America films, the second Thor film and "The Incredible Hulk".

Thanks to you, I won't.

17. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Nope, its not a failure to go against Snyder's films. For one, Wonder Woman wasn't especially brooding or depressed in her 10 minutes or so of film time in BvS. In fact, she seemed to enjoy kicking Doomsday's ass. All we know abut her in BvS is that something made her abandon man's world. Her movie can be hopeful and optimistic and easily fit the little bit we get about her in BvS.

A hopeful, optimistic movie can still have a downer ending, its not like being an actual hero doesn't involve bad things happening. Her movie can be completely different tonally then Snyder's and not go against her BvS appearance in the slightest.

18. LJones41

Forget it. It's apparent that some of you weren't paying attention to what was going on with Diana in "Batman v. Superman". You're deliberating turning a blind eye to her characterization in that film and I find it rather odd. And it's obvious that some of you want some one-dimensional superhero film that retreads the same style over and over again with hardly any originality. Worse, Hollywood seemed to be more or less feeding your desires - with a few exceptions. No wonder culture - whether pop culture or not - is going to the dogs.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Here's a bunch of clips and some behind-the-scenes B-roll:

http://www.cbr.com/wonder-woman-movie-clips/

Looks good. I'm particularly impressed by Chris Pine -- he's really good and funny in this, at least in the clips.

Interesting to see in the B-roll that the Lasso of Truth prop actually does glow as a live on-set effect. I assumed the glow was animated on. I forget how much LED technology has enabled that kind of live lighting effect these days.

20. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I don't get the need to paint this as some sort of "reaction" or "course correction", Wonder Woman started shooting in November 2015, and was wrapping just as BvS hit theaters, and when it comes to Justice League, Chris Terrio spoke of that movie being lighter well before the release of BvS.

As far as these movies, they were always intended to be like that.

And as far as future movies go, the directors WB has hired or are currently courting are all established and have their own strong individual styles, and they'll make their movies their way, which is what WB has always been saying was their goal, a looser shared universe where different voices can be heard.

So I'm not sure how much this "course" talk makes sense when it comes to DCEU. I know some people have been clamoring for a strong central unifying voice for all movies, but personally I'm much more exited by the potential for diversity of these movies.