William Windom R.I.P....

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Warped9, Aug 19, 2012.

1. alpha_leonis

alpha_leonis Captain Captain

... and he was very gracious towards his fans towards the end: he even reprised his role in an episode of the "New Voyages" fan-produced series.

2. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Doomsday Machine" is my favorite TOS episode, and William Windom is the reason why. He did such a wonderful job portraying the guilt-ridden, revenge-minded Commodore Matt Decker.

3. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

RIP Mr. Windom. Definitely one of the most memorable guest-spot roles in all of Trek.

4. golakers

golakers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So, is this a little weird?

Last night, after seeing his obit on the LA Times website, I decided to watch Doomsday Machine as a mini-tribute to Commodore Decker.

Every time he came on screen, I couldn't help but think: "You're in 1967. I see you then, and know that you will pass away on August 19, 2012. Today is that day." Eerie.

He was great. Always sad to see another TOS-era actor pass away. Time marches on.

5. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

RIP Captain Decker. Thanks for the your work!

6. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Great character actor, with a great legacy.

Going unnoticed was the passing, the day before, of character actor Biff Elliot--who played Schmitter in 'Devil in the Dark'.

A nothing part, but Hicthcock loved him! He appeared in 5 Alfred Hitchcock presents!

7. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

In case anyone here didn't know, William Windom participated in a Star Trek fan movie "In Harm's Way", reprising his role as Commodore Matt Decker (Barbara Luna makes an appearance in the episode too). It was a short role and it didn't catch him in the best of light (he overacted like mad), but... it was so cool to see him again. For details see Star Trek Phase II.

RIP, Mr. Windom. Thank you for your terrific performance in Star Trek. You will definitely be missed.

8. Doomsday

Doomsday Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I agree with all the above, Doomsday Machine has always been my favorite TOS episode, and he was one of the big reasons. In addition to all the other appearances noted...does anyone remember he also played the prosecuting attorney in "To Kill a Mockingbird" oppossite Gregory Peck? He was fantastic in that.

Incidently, in that same film, you saw lots of ST alumni (pre-ST of course). Brock Peters, John Megna, Frank Overton, Paul Fix, and I think a few others....

9. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

"The Doomsday Machine" was one of the best TOS had to offer and was due in large part by William Windom's portrayal of Commodore Matt Decker. R.I.P.

10. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No one here has yet mentioned his best-known role to the general public, in "To Kill a Mockingbird".

I also remember TV guest spots, just off the top of my head, in The Twilight Zone, Night Gallery, The Fugitive, The Invaders, All in the Family, The Incredible Hulk and the A-team pilot.

11. Caligula

Caligula Vice Admiral Admiral

Earlier I had spoken with my father about how Windom was one of those guys I've probably seen in a bunch of movies/TV shows and didn't even know it. I'd completely forgotten (no telling why) that he was the prosecuting attorney in To Kill a Mockingbird!

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I think I'm going to rewatch "The Doomsday Machine" tonight. Almost perfect episode.

Or I could listen to one of the audio commentaries he did for the TZ blu-rays ...

13. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^^^ I have always LOVED that Decker avatar.

I'll say this much...
    Windom's Decker is quite possibly the single greatest guest performance in all Star Trek--and I'm including ALL series and ALL movies.

When you consider some of the performances over the decades, that's saying something.

14. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

RIP Mr. Windom.

Thank you for giving us on the most memorable performances in all of Trek.

15. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

I looked up his service record,

per Memory Alpha..

So he didn't just act the hero... like many of his generation, he WAS a hero..

16. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

William Windom was probably the first Star Trek actor I'd ever met, back when I was a teenager. He was a soft-spoken, genuine person. Kind and humble.
    He will be missed.

17. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Very sad news. Loved him in Twilight Zone and was a show stealer in The Doomsday Machine

18. The Cutest of Borg

The Cutest of Borg Vice Admiral Admiral

Sad news, indeed. RIP William Windom.

19. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

How many times did he make appearances at Star Trek conventions?

20. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    RIP William Windom. He played my favorite Trek guest star on my favorite episode.