Will Sam Beckett Return Home? NBC Orders Quantum Leap Reboot Pilot

Ok that final scene made me think something was arriving

IIRC, the final scene of season 1 was deliberately ambiguous about whether Ben was coming home or not, since they didn't know whether they'd get a second season until fairly late. If they'd been cancelled, I think the plan was to shoot a definite ending where Ben got back, but since they were renewed, they ended on a cliffhanger where it wasn't clear if he got back or not -- and of course we learned at the start of season 2 that he hadn't.

IIRC, the final scene of season 1 was deliberately ambiguous about whether Ben was coming home or not, since they didn't know whether they'd get a second season until fairly late. If they'd been cancelled, I think the plan was to shoot a definite ending where Ben got back, but since they were renewed, they ended on a cliffhanger where it wasn't clear if he got back or not -- and of course we learned at the start of season 2 that he hadn't.

Ta thanks

Does Season 2 of Quantum Leap end on a big cliffhanger or is it closed-ended?

We got your question to Caitlin Bassett, who stars as Addison, and she reported back that while the not-yet-renewed sci-fi drama’s season finale leaves things “wide open,” “we also didn’t want to do anything without a Season 3 order in hand. Nobody wanted to leave it where people would hate it if that was the end.”

TV Line

"...and she reported back that while the not-yet-renewed sci-fi drama’s season finale leaves things “wide open,” “we also didn’t want to do anything without a Season 3 order in hand. Nobody wanted to leave it where people would hate it if that was the end.”

Seems mildly contradictory? I have zero confidence in any bubble show ending in a satisfying manner. Better get that mis-spelt text card ready just in case.

"...and she reported back that while the not-yet-renewed sci-fi drama’s season finale leaves things “wide open,” “we also didn’t want to do anything without a Season 3 order in hand. Nobody wanted to leave it where people would hate it if that was the end.”

Seems mildly contradictory? I have zero confidence in any bubble show ending in a satisfying manner.

One thing that could potentially work as both a season and series finale is that they get Ben home but leave open the option of him choosing to resume leaping, perhaps with greater control.

One thing that could potentially work as both a season and series finale is that they get Ben home but leave open the option of him choosing to resume leaping, perhaps with greater control.
Or maybe they film alternate scenes... so one with him home, another with a "fake out" . I would hope NBC would give them the courtesy of a LITTLE lead time on renewal/cancellation... they could at least get good ratings for a finale. It would also be good for streaming as well

I wonder if this new piece of code is going to turn out to be haven written by Hannah Carson.

Or her son...they hinted at how he would be a scientific genius as well.... This episode was 1970's, so kinda before a lot of complex computer code, but the son would be a good age for it... did they say how old the code was? Because he would be the perfect age for someone who worked with Sam Beckett and company.

====

Man, the break seemed to go by really quick.

While the romance. may not be as bad as Karen-Danny on For All Mankind… but this is just getting too complicated… love isn’t finite…but c’mon now… boundaries are close to being crossed. And Ben falling in love so quickly? I know we talked about it before… but I hope they resolve it in a satisfactory way

Anachronisms – maybe we should keep a log of these? Not that we need to get too hung up on it, but this might be part of the charm of following QL.

=So when the lawyer complains about low thread count --- was that a thing in 1970? I thought that was “important” to people starting around 2000. The Christmas Story Easter egg (“You’ll shoot your eye out”) was fun – but did they still sell Red Ryder B-B guns by 1970?

It would be nice if the encounters with Hannah were NOT linear, where Ben might need to withhold info, or vice versa. I know that might be a bit much for such a tight schedule (i.e. the team storylines too)

Oops. My math was way off since I was wondering if Hannah son was conceived by Ben.

But wouldn't seem to matchup since she said he was 7

Still, given how smart it appears they have him... Makes me wonder if he could be involved somehow. Maybe he is the head of the company that Ians love interest works for and the chip/plus getting the code was to work on a project Hannah started and her son is continuing

Last edited:
Hannah and now her sciency-smart kid are involved somehow in it all.
Whether it Project QL or Ziggy and how we'll hopefully find out this season.

There is still the "foreign" code plotline - but that seems adversarial and wouldn't make sense for Hannah.

Was certain Hannah woudl show up again (hopefully multiple times) in the remaining - now 4 - episodes this season, but did not expect her to return immediately after Cairo.
Ben/Hannah just have the sparks (that not many TV couples do).
Rooting hard for them, regardless of the outcome.
Still, so tragic that Ben wasn't able to warn her about her husbands health condition.

So the big "found a way to bring Ben home" .... turned into "takes ages to comb trough the data to see IF/MAYBE..." =
LAME

there was a funny quote: Adison to Magic "any other Magic cards left" or something along those lines...

I enjoyed this week’s episode. The Hannah story line is fun and kinda twisty/timey-whimey. Really hoping we get a third season. I echo a prior poster’s question if the mystery code ties back to Hannah. I think/hope it does. Depending on when that former project happened I wonder if was her code or her son’s code.

this episode was all over the place...

quest hunting - family matters
nice story about coming out non binary way back then
marriage stuff - in the sister's family and ugh Addison
Ian or Jenn not talking to Magic - thus making things much worse. :brickwall:

Hello Sarek aka Spocks Dad...
Hello
throwing rocks
Marco Inaros...

Question:
What if "Bad Guy" Gideon is Hannah's son Jeffrey?
Ben's letter to Hannah gets lost or delayed or whatever, her husband still dies - Hannah eventually tells Jeffrey about Ben/time leaping, so Jeffrey wants to know/control project QL and go back in time to save his dad?
Doesn't explain the name change however.

Anyway I love the Quantum Leap concept and despite it's flaws - I hope it gets renewed for a 3rd season.
Ben/Raymond Lee is also wonderful character/actor and worthy successor to Sam/Scott Bakula.

I dislike the present day parts so much - not only taking away time/spotlight from the leaps, worse mostly just adding baggage/drama and most importantly not letting the leap part stand on it's own - always having to hit you on the head with whatever message of the episode.

Example: the coming out non binary way back then was handled well in the leap itself and IMO would have sufficed - it didn't need the whole present day commentary/emotions on top of it - so the Leaps never stand on it's own and at least to me, feel less powerful.

I also speculated about Rachel's boss being Hannah's son although I think I didn't consider how Jeffrey may only exist because of Bens actions with Hannah. So Jeffrey may not have existed prior to Ben altering Hannah's life, her going to Princeton, etc... And then meeting Jeffreys Dad.

I am going to take off the spoilers on Friday unless everyone else wants them back. I don't think we need it for just one individual.

this episode was all over the place...

quest hunting - family matters
nice story about coming out non binary way back then
marriage stuff - in the sister's family and ugh Addison
Ian or Jenn not talking to Magic - thus making things much worse. :brickwall:

Hello Sarek aka Spocks Dad...
Hello
throwing rocks
Marco Inaros...

Question:
What if "Bad Guy" Gideon is Hannah's son Jeffrey?
Ben's letter to Hannah gets lost or delayed or whatever, her husband still dies - Hannah eventually tells Jeffrey about Ben/time leaping, so Jeffrey wants to know/control project QL and go back in time to save his dad?
Doesn't explain the name change however.

Anyway I love the Quantum Leap concept and despite it's flaws - I hope it gets renewed for a 3rd season.
Ben/Raymond Lee is also wonderful character/actor and worthy successor to Sam/Scott Bakula.

I dislike the present day parts so much - not only taking away time/spotlight from the leaps, worse mostly just adding baggage/drama and most importantly not letting the leap part stand on it's own - always having to hit you on the head with whatever message of the episode.

Example: the coming out non binary way back then was handled well in the leap itself and IMO would have sufficed - it didn't need the whole present day commentary/emotions on top of it - so the Leaps never stand on it's own and at least to me, feel less powerful.

@1987SpaceGuy -- that was my first thought too. I am guessing that she remarried and he took the new name? And i wonder if the trouble Ian and girlfriend are worried about isn't there... that Gideon actually appreciates the ingeniousness of them. And of course, something happens to the letter. By the way... those 2 dead bodies... wouldn't there be some kind of investigation if anyone found them? I mean... that is relatively recent....so if not authorities, then SOMEONE would still be interested in solving that mystery.

I am cool with the modern stuff -- and it was obviously extremely relevent to Ian and the actor. But also felt weird in the sense that Ian already knew that was the kind of person Ben was. ANd that storyline feels as preachy and a modern evangelical movie.

The stuff with Addison -- well, makes sense. I don't see how this romance with Hannah would last... Will we see her in the finale as an old woman? Or maybe a flashback to pre-leap Ben where he meets an old woman, but has no idea why she has an interest in him.

I am not quite understanding the lack of Magic -- unless it's due to Ghostbusters, somehow??? Or some weird change in command structure with Tom? I dunno -- seems messy

Is the conspiracy of last year officially over? For some reason, i felt like we never got a real resolution of who it was that sent Martinez in season 1?

So only 3 episodes to resolve all the things we just talked about? I think i read in a story form my Google Feed that the season finale could be used as a series finale (if needed).

I would hope they could film both scenarios and have time to edit in time.
And Janis was just written off... she really should be a part of QL...she was, after all, a trusted (and sole) member of Ben's team that sent him out in the first place.

And so Doctor Song finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap away from the Universal Studios backlot…

And so Doctor Song finds himself leaping from life to life, striving to put right what once went wrong, and hoping each time that his next leap will be the leap away from the Universal Studios backlot…
:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

And that "flood" was sooooo weak. ... not just where they went to "safety" -- but was it even a foot deep???

Last week's bounty hunter episode was fairly good, though I really hope there's a good explanation coming up for why the Accelerator has entwined Ben's leaps so solidly with Hannah's worldline. It feels pretty contrived otherwise.

And apparently Hannah's a believer in polyamory. She fits right in to swingin' 1970.

Although Kevin's use of the word "bespoke" doesn't -- according to Wikipedia, that term didn't become common in American usage until at least the 1990s, and before then "custom" was preferred.

I felt the "New Jersey" landscapes here looked way too much like the Los Angeles hills. Apparently, though, there are mountains in northern New Jersey, not too far from Trenton, I guess.

Back