Why was the last episode of DS9 so incredibly awful?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ElimGarak, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The Bajoran militia were former resistance fighters/terrorists, they went to the Cardessian military school of hard knocks

Cyke101 likes this.
  2. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Honestly, historical context matters so much even at the employment level, because that person may be the best person for the job (as Kira proved time and again), but even barring that, she's still a person with deep seated trauma regardless who still wants to contribute to society and the greater good, but would need the resources to make good on that chance. Whether it's brutality on black communities or veterans coming home or forced relocation through diaspora or, yes, freedom fighters, a good employer weighs that in their decisions. This is why we have therapists and why Picard's Enterprise had a counselor, after all. An employer has to take that into account.

Let's also remember, too, that those chances given to her enabled her to get over her trauma, to the point where she wasn't prejudiced against Cardassians anymore and, indeed, played a key role in liberating them from the Dominion, just as she had with her own people. None of that would have been possible had Sisko not given her some breathing room.

Frankly, I'm surprised more people didn't break down on DS9, even though they had every right to do so. We saw Maxwell do just that on the Phoenix way back in TNG (and Picard needing O'Brien to talk to him about it, one PTSD survivor to another). I'll take Kira over Maxwell any day, despite rank.

cultcross likes this.
  3. Camren

Camren Commodore Commodore

DS9 had a great ending. Okay, apart from the silly Sisko-Dukat fight. You see a resolution to the war and you know what happens to all of the characters. And I defy anyone to find a better final shot of a Trek finale than the one in "What you Leave Behind", with Jake and Kira looking out the window.
    Compare that with Voyager's end in which you don't know what becomes of any of the characters that you've followed for 7 years. DS9's ending was way better, and probably better than All Good Things too.

4. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, surely the last 4-5 min of the episode should make up for any problems some may have had...it brung a tear to me eye.:weep:

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Both TNG and DS9 enders are really good for their respective shows. DS9's is the more dramatically organic, and therefore the best of all Trek series (I speak as a VOY/ENT fan, where both these series finales screwed over their fans)

6. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Because its unprofessional and disrespectful.

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Being a tomboy is unprofessional? More likely that you are sexist.

Six of Twelve likes this.
  8. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

And yet apparently not unprofessional or disrespectful enough that Sisko felt the need to reprimand her.

It's also been clearly established that different races have different cultural norms with regard to what's considered unprofessional or disrespectful.

9. Voth commando1

She had fits and temper tantrums, she went around Sisko's back, she had the nerve to propose segregating Federation and Bajoran children, She completely lacked any sort of tact or finesse. She was often surly, throwing her hands in the air. I mean have you seen the first three seasons of DS9? Neelix is more tolerable.

10. DonIago

My god...she threw her hands in the air???!!!???

Did she...by any chance...also wave them in the air, as though she just didn't care?

I didn't know where you were coming from before, but after hearing about these horrific acts of hand-throwing! Well, it will be a cold day in Hell before I ever watch DS9 again!

Did it occur to you that maybe Sisko and the provisional government wanted Kira to be exactly where she was precisely because she wasn't spit-and-polish, but would (gasp) get the job done?

I really don't think you want to open the door on comparing Kira's professionalism to Neelix's, but if you're serious about that, it should be pretty entertaining.

You might want to review the episodes where Worf joins the series and tries to impose the kind of attitude that you seem to want out of Kira to the practicalities of DS9. Hint: it doesn't work out.

(is a proud member of the workforce who shows some attitude and doesn't put up with BS, but is recognized because he gets the job done and knows what he's talking about when he speaks up)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
  11. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Kira came from the past 20 years settling disagreements with a phaser. Just throwing her hands in the air shows she's matured a lot.

Nyotarules and DonIago like this.
  12. Voth commando1

I would much rather put up with Neelix cooking and grating attempts to show you he cares, then deal with Kira from any position other than an outside observer or enemy combatant. The woman would be impossible to work with, I feel so so sorry for the poor schmucks she is in command of. The devil in Hell probably had it easier.

13. DonIago

If Kira had been as horrible to work with or for as you suggest, she never would have lasted in the position of first officer.

14. Voth commando1

Sisko always did like toadies, and sycophants.

15. Prax

Why are we complaining about Kira? We all know it's Sisko who's insane.:crazy:

16. Voth commando1

Sisko can be-personal vendettas, a fetish for violence, an odd obsession with race as a result of a vision, not to mention the man has a need to show how big an asshole he is to Vulcans.

17. Prax

If by Vulcans, you mean anyone that isn't part of his clique, then yeah, I'd agree with that part.

18. ironnerd

ironnerd Lieutenant Red Shirt

Partly because much of the money was being pumped into Voyager.

19. Voth commando1

Sisko can be kind of cliquish as well-he has his close group of friends and confidantes, he would trust with his son's life, yet often butted heads with either his superiors(Ross), outsiders(Eddington), or people he doesn't know how to be diplomatic around(Dukat seriously, the man has some pyschological need for affirmation-Sisko would have saved himself a lot of trouble had he encouraged Dukat in Waltz instead of dancing around Dukat's questions).

Thank you for giving me another point of criticism of Sisko.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  20. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Commas are your friend. :techman: