why was ensign kim not promoted at all in 7 years?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by bluepicard27, Sep 30, 2012.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He makes me close my eyes and think of botany.

2. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Besides Torres (whom you don't mention), both Paris and Chakotay were given the rank they had already achieved before they left Starfleet.

3. mswood

SO, if the guys just literally only out for a paycheck then that makes sense. But if you are actually an actor who wants to to earn a living and cares about development of your character its completely rational. Even if its just for how you portray your character (like how actors in their own minds expand their own backstory), and no one ever notices it or if it never leads to a story idea. Its still impacts how you portray your character.

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Probably because the writers and producers didn't give a crap about his character. Hell, they wanted to fire Wang halfway through the series, but that stupid People Magazine came out with their stupid "sexiest people" issue, and they fired Jennifer Lien instead.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

No he didn't. He did refuse to sign for ST II if Sulu was just piloting the ship and delivering "Aye sir" dialogue, so Harve Bennett promised to add a scene where Kirk tells Sulu about his promotion, to captain of USS Excelsior (long before anyone knew the ship would featured in the next film). While that one scene didn't end up making the final cut, it did give a suggestion that future movies might be more fulfilling.

For ST III, he was pleased to get the scene flipping the guard.

For ST IV, he was pleased to do the scene in the Huey, plus he was promised a scene with his great great grandfather (a child in 20th century San Francisco), a scene that didn't get filmed due to failing light and a stubborn child actor.

He didn't request to be a captain in ST VI, but was pleasantly surprised when he read the script, and that the "Hikaru" first name (from "The Entropy Effect" novel that first highlighted Sulu's loftier career aspirations). The writers knew that the promotion would appeal to the actor as something more interesting to do than piloting the ship.

6. teacake

REALLY? When did that happen?

7. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

This has been pretty well documented before. In a nutshell, Wang was showing up for work late, having a lousy attitude, etc. The producers wanted to trim the cast anyway, so they were going to fire him and kill Harry Kim off, but then People Magazine came out with their "50 most sexiest people" issue, and Wang was in it. Fearing they'd have egg on their face if they fired Wang now, they fired Lein instead.

However, I don't think that at the time, the Excelsior mentioned in that scene was supposed to be the "great experiment," but rather just a generic ship, correct?

8. teacake

Sorry Dukhat, I was having a naughty moment there since this Wang--->Lien topic has been the subject of literally thousands of posts.

9. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Ah, ok. You should have put in a :p in there to let me know you were joking :p:p:p:p

(I don't usually post in the VOY forum, sorry :))

10. teacake

I wasn't taking the piss at you or your comment so much as the topic itself and the VOY forum :lol:

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Gotcha :techman:

12. Therin of Andor

Correct, it was a throwaway line, which would have become even more important in the next film if the ST II scene had been left in.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

This doesn't sound like a man that had no interest in being a Captain.

http://movies.yahoo.com/news/star-t...ses-undiscovered-country-clone-171800213.html

Also yes, he DID end up with less screentime since he wasn't with the main cast but on his own ship.

14. Therin of Andor

Takei wanted to play interesting and challenging scenes, not necessarily that his character got promotions. After all, Sulu was promoted for TMP and ST II, and his lines stayed the same.

He lobbied at conventions for a TV series spin-off called "Captain Sulu", he wasn't demanding it of the studio for ST VI.

15. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Kim's the only person in Trek to get an alien STD. That has to count for something.

16. teacake

It happened to Trip too.

But ya know Janeway should have given him some credit for this. Sure she couldn't promote everyone but a way around this would have been to make up special team leader titles for the left behind, to keep them feeling promoted.

"Mr. Kim. I want you to be our Sexual Health Team Leader. I know your wealth of experience will be invaluable to the crew."

And then she could have given him a little badge with Harry Kim, Sexual Health Team Leader on it.

17. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you talking about him getting raped then impregnated without his knowledge? I actually felt bad for him in that one.. what jerks the rest of his crew were.

And Harry Kim is like the Anti Christ of all things sexual.. not only does he screw up(and no pun intended there) his own chances, but his mere presence destroys all sexual energy in the room. Like Janeway's almost kiss with that French alien previously mentioned. Just call him Ensign Cockblock.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

When Seven offered to have sex with him, he starting freaking out and getting embrassed. What a loser!:rommie:

19. mswood

WWhile it wouldn't surprise me that PR might have helped Wang keep his job, I have a hard time believing that it was the one thing that pushed the scales in his favor. Make no mistake the writers had long struggled with Jennifer's character, and she was the one character that wasn't really vital to the show.

Harry might have been a cypher, but his character's position is a lot more vital. And I would think that after the mess of TNG's first season (of which Berman was very much aware) not having certain characters was a significant hardship.

In fact I think if Wes would have left the ship early (say season two) I think the show (which wasn't the huge hit that it became by season 4 and five) would have pushed harder for a full time replacement of that position. I mean they did try bas Ro was conceived to fill that position, but as DS9 became a sure thing her character was meant to go there, of course the actress wanted nothing of it, so it became a moot point.

20. teacake

Offered? I think you mean demanded.