Why the hatred for Voyager?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Dac, Dec 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

DS9's writers didn't have UPN breathing down their necks all the time, constraining them, forbidding certain stories, having their ideas vetoed all the time and stuff.

Also, VOY's Exec Producers at the start (Jeri Taylor and Michael Piller) were ad odds over how to do the show: PIller wanted it more like how Moore did nuBSG, while Taylor wanted a light-hearted show where the crew got along/

Ad before anyone says Berman had anything to do with it, he had as much involvement in VOY as he did in DS9.

2. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Something most fans forget, because they would rather blame B&B for a rainy day.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And when a child is raised by wolves, do we blame the parents or the wolves?

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sorry, I forgot where I was.

I didn't realize words had to be so precise as to distinguish between hate and dislike to get the general point across . Either way, the end result is the same. ;)

5. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Not really. The question is still the same: Why watch something you don't like. I didn't like a lot of VOY and guess what?? I didn't watch it. I tuned in for the stuff I liked and tuned out for the stuff I didn't. I didn't go online to let everyone know how much I thought it sucked or which minute detail I hated the most. I went on to something else.

I HATED Babylon 5, but to date I have never visited a fan forum to declare as such, nor have I gone there to "school" their fans on why they should hate it as much as I do or presume to tell them what would have made their stinky ass show better.

6. exodus

What's the title of this post you're posting in?

The internet is full of people on message boards doing and watching things just to complain about them. Check out any post here about the Family Guy or LOST and you'll find those that claim they hate it but are still watching every week.

7. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

It's a DISCUSSION! Do you think that the title of the thread is simply an invitation to those who hate the show or do you believe it is an invitation to discuss why some people hate the show? Do you even know the difference between the two? You seem to like splitting hairs. Go chew on that for a while.
    It doesn't make it any less stupid. I don't join a fan forum for a TV show to discuss how much I hate and don't watch it. That's completely retarded.

8. kipron

kipron Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a more sane world, the internet would be comprised of people like you. Too bad nature abhors sanity. :lol:

Thing is, I grew up watching the 24th Century shows, and Voyager's premise was the one I clicked with. Due to this latent like of the series, I picked up a bunch of second-hand VHS tapes over the years, but have not had the time to watch them.

With the recent (cyclical?) influx of Voyager hatred in this forum, I decided to pop in a random episode to reevaluate my thoughts on this long-gone show. The ep was Juggernaut, which I recall being a somehwat "average" episode and therefore representative of the shows grander strengths and weaknesses. Turns out that what worked for me when I was 15...doesn't work so well now. I mean, aliens playing with toy ships?! What the hell kinda kiddy hour is this? :wtf:

And yet I just can't seem to muster up any venom towards this show, even on the occasions where it sucks. I was a kid, after all. I enjoyed the show in its first run, and whatever lessons were to be learned from it were learned a LONG time ago.

It's not like the people criticising it are newbies. It's the same old faces, throwing the same old faeces from 8 years ago. I just don't get how they can keep on doing it. Hope I never learn. :)

9. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Not sure I get the exact comparison. Is UPN the parents or the wolves?

10. exodus

Welcome to internet generation.

11. Guy Gardener

O. There's been more than one generation lost on the net by now.

But it's just a moderner day equivalent of cranks writing to newspapers.

Berman and Braga are the parents. :)

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That still doesn't fully make sense, because it's not like they had a choice in anything compared to UPN.

It would be like, what if the wolves had been breathing down the necks of the parents, crippled them so there was no way they could oppose the wolves or do anything to protect the child, and did whatever they wanted to the kid while the crippled, helpless parents just stood there.

And they are invisible wolves so everyone blames the parents for everything while the wolves get away scot free.

13. Guy Gardener

some of the least exaggerated reports of criminalized behaviour from B & B would have us believe that their coffee breaks lasted almost around nearly 6 months each.

14. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

I just happen to hold Star Trek fans to a higher standard.

15. Ezri

Ezri Captain Captain

Babies have big heads and big eyes, and tiny little bodies with tiny little arms and legs. So did the aliens at Roswell! I rest my case. - WIlliam Shatner

This is what I wanted to find out from Voyager, who are the Roswell Aliens. All it was DS9 that told us it was Quark. Oh well, SG1 told us it was Thor ... wish Voyager told us diferent

16. exodus

Don't.

Watching a TV show doesn't indicate the type of person you are.

17. alicelouise

alicelouise Commander Red Shirt

I know many people want "Dark and Edgy" but that is going to be so dated in a few years. That being said, on "voyager" there were no issues with supplies, weapons, food and water. Another valid point brought up by posters the Maquis and Starfleet came together with too much ease and seamlessness. There was an episode with Dalby and Chall. They were shown to be exceptions. Letting the conflict between B'Lanna and Joe carey be dropped wasn't the best. Keeping Seska as regular would have helped "Voyager". In BSG when Apollo was in the brig for treason, he was allowed to his job. In season 3 Seska could have been brought back and sentenced like the Equinox 5(again another opportunity wasted)and Apollo Lee Adama.

My biggest gripe with "Voyager" was that it was always Politically Correct. The one white male was shown always to be incompetent. That is only one example of many.

another gripe :mad: teh trivialization of the Borg. In TNG the Borg made the Romulans, Klingons, Khan and whatever other villains look tame. In Voyager even Naomi Wildmon could have bested themin an escape pod.

all in all my .02 :)

18. exodus

Isn't that general point of Trek to begin with? Wasn't Picard always saying our goal is to be better more respectful & tolerant people?

19. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

Sure it does. I think someone who watches Star Trek regularly has a greater intellectual capacity for reason and deep thought than those who embrace Jackass as "high culture" entertainment.

...of course there are always exceptions.

20. KitchenWitch

KitchenWitch Commander Red Shirt

The character built a model ship for his colleague's child. Maybe I'm too old and senile, but I see nothing "kiddie hour" about that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.