Why the hate for Disco?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by David Hanley, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

What do you think of Burnham's excessive crying?

2. Grizzlor

Grizzlor Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well I see nothing wrong with it, this is a series for mature adults, and a woman crying during intense scenes makes perfect sense. I too get a bit weepy in some of them. This is the world of streaming television, that's what subscribers/viewers are being given. I have to be honest, it never crossed my mind before. I do not watch network TV dramas anymore, almost exclusively paid cable (HBO, Showtime, Starz) and streaming series. To be honest, one reason I usually skip network dramas is because they tend to be far more tame and unrealistic.

That being said, I haven't read up on it, but one can only assume that this is a professional choice that actress Sonequa Martin-Green is making. Having watched her in The Walking Dead as well, this does not surprise me as she is an emotive actor, that is her style. This is why I go back to TOS in comparisons, because in many ways she does share many of the same emotional reactions in scene to "over acting" William Shatner. Given my reverence for his Jim Kirk, can't complain.

3. Gingerbread Demon

Oh for sure....... Shatner literally hams it up on many scenes, and not just on Star Trek in other things he has done he loves hamming it up.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree for the most part.

5. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah the rec room and the ice cream scene was cool. Kirk never got his ice cream though.

Jadeb and cooleddie74 like this.
  6. Gingerbread Demon

Maybe one of the brats shoved theirs into his face when we weren't looking

7. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Who knows. It bugged me when i was a kid and still as a adult. Kirk said he would have a small ice cream and never got it.

8. AresB

AresB Commander Red Shirt

The crying about Burnham's crying is excessive.

In the 3rd season Mirror Universe episodes, we saw a Burnham that didn't cry. She was a horrible person. The convicted mutineer Burnham we saw in the first couple of episodes of the series could have become like that. Instead she has grown as a person and become part of a family where she can openly show her feelings. It's heartwarming.

Especially considering that this series is called "dystopian" and "grimdark"...

9. Gingerbread Demon

Really? I didn't know that Grimdark really?

I never hated her for the crying but just it seems the go to thing for people to jump on. I didn't find it that excessive

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I find it hilarious now it's been pointed out that the "grimdark" Discovery is now also getting flak for being too soft and emotional:lol:

Why can't they just stand in a half circle, arms at their sides and take turns to recite their lines like in Next Gen?!?!?

Vger23, AresB and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  11. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or the ever so popular approach in that era - one stood in front of the other, both facing the camera and they have half the conversation like that before the one at the front dramatically turns to face the other one.

Vger23 and Gingerbread Demon like this.
  12. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

That's why Riker yells once in a while, to show that he's not Data!!! :D

13. Ianburns252

Ianburns252 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Que?

This has gone so far over my head - can you dumb it down for me

14. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

15. Swedish Borg

Swedish Borg Commodore Captain

Outside of his outbursts of anger and his scowls, Riker hardly expresses any emotion at all.

16. fireproof78

It remains a mystery to me to this day. And the more research I do the more I think that the Discovery writers understand human emotions a lot better than most Hollywood writers.

AresB likes this.
  17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Most of Michael's crying does not bother me. Early season 1 comes across as really, really weird in retrospect because she was played as being very stoic/suppressed, but I can chalk it up to early installment weirdness/pivoting the character to play more to SMG's strengths.

I do have issue with Michael's crying in certain episodes however. Like the episode where she bid Nhan farewell. We saw nothing onscreen to suggest Nhan had a close relationship with Michael - or with anyone really. The tears didn't seem warranted here for that reason, because the show hadn't done the legwork to make an emotional connection that the viewers could identify with.

I also think that less is more when it comes to expression of emotion in media. We tend to remember much more vividly the breakdowns of largely stoic characters because they are so rare. In contrast, characters who are emotional in a certain way pretty much all the time have that aspect of their personality ignored over time. Like...I can remember Kira or Torres being generally angry people, but I can't really recall many of the individual times they flipped out. But I can remember vividly the couple of times across DS9 that Sisko was driven to tears.

dupersuper and StarMan like this.
  18. fireproof78

Honestly, having been told much of my life by friends to not be so emotional (and the opposite by my parents) I prefer just people having freaking emotions. I'm tiered of stoicism being the most virtuous style of character. As I said, I can't help but think that people fear emotions in their media.

Michael's, of all people's, makes sense because she was traumatized and then raised to be stoic. Eventually the trauma is going to come out, in some way.

19. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Make no mistake, that's what a lot of fans want/expect.

fireproof78 likes this.
  20. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

Melodrama: A sensational dramatic piece with exaggerated characters and exciting events intended to appeal to the emotions.

I think that’s pretty much Discovery in a nutshell. A lot of modern entertainment in a nutshell, really. But it wasn’t traditionally considered a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.