Why, oh why did the writers have Jadzia Dax and Worf marry?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by CaptainCag, Jun 4, 2014.

1. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The writing just seemed to be so immature on this topic.

The female changeling has sex with Odo, then she goes "so this is what solids do to feel closer to each other, but it pales compared to the great link"

Odo just looks confused, so the female changeling says "oh I see, you want to experience this with Kira" and he's basically agreeing.

Odo really really wants to go to the great link, but he really really wants to have sex with Kira.

Kira says yes, and now he's torn on which group to be loyal to, and in the end decides pro-Kira.

Can you imagine if she had rejected him? The whole Alpha Quadrant would have been toast, because Odo would have left DS9 and rejoined the great link to battle against the solids, and there would have been no one to convince the female shapeshifter to give the solids a chance.

:rolleyes:

As for Worf and Jadzia, that so reminds me of Beauty and the Beast. It's like the Disney cartoon, but in Trek mode.

2. JesterFace

JesterFace Fleet Captain Commodore

.................. how did that delete thing work...

3. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I have to agree that the writers should have been able to give Kira and Odo an intimately close friendship without framing it as a physical romance. They pulled it off okay with Picard and Guinan. That's the kind of relationship Kira and Odo should have had.

It's that thing where teleivision morals are both incredibly progressive and strictly puritanical at the same time and nobody notices the contradiction. The writers just must have thought the audience would not be broad minded enough to separate emotional love from romantic love between a woman and a person with the appearance of a man.

4. NeroShrimp

NeroShrimp Lieutenant Red Shirt

I thought it was a perfect touch to have Worf marry Jadzia. They had a lot of chemistry and you can clearly see that.

5. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I never watched DS9 after season 3 or 4, but it seems to me that being killed is an improvement from being Worf's wife.

6. Reeborg

Reeborg Commander Red Shirt

So that the American spectators would not be (morally) offended when Jadworf were "making love" :lol:

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Jadworf"... :guffaw:

8. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given what happened to K'Ehleyr on TNG, it seems to me that the latter event inevitably leads to the former event. :p

9. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Remember in AGT, in a future where Troi never broke up with Worf, Troi died too.

Worf is the Hurley of Star Trek.

10. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Because what other show on TV would do it?

11. varek

varek Commander Red Shirt

Worf seemed to like independent-minded women, like K'Ehleyr, so he and Jadzia Dax were a natural pair.

I could never envision Worf and Deanna Troi as a pair, as in the Imzadi novels.

12. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

Well, the whole point of Imzadi II: Triangle was that Worf and Troi weren't meant to be together. She belonged with Riker.

13. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I was more than happy with the Worf/Jadzia pairing. Even early on, Jadzia seemed like a woman who loved the taste of adventure, and I think Worf was looking for someone who could bring balance to his excessive personal restraint. Plus, that wedding? That was just a badass wedding.

Oh, and for the record, I'm also an Ezri/Julian and Odo/Kira shipper.

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It worked out fine. Great wedding, believable marriage. I only wish she'd died in Change of Heart because that would have been truly heartbreaking and an even more amazing episode.

I love Ezri/Julian though :D

15. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Same here.

16. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

O'Brien/Keiko is not bad though.

17. Armored Saint

Armored Saint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But Keiko has been especially created to be O'Brien's wife.

18. LeadHead

LeadHead Director of Comedy Premium Member

I both agree and disagree with this. On the one hand, it would have been much more heartbreaking, knowing that there was something Worf could have done to save her, but he had to place his duty and the security of the Federation over his wife.

On the other hand, I think it set up Worf perfectly for her actual death. It made it clear without a doubt how huge a blow it would be for him and in some ways justifies or at least makes less awful, his behavior toward Ezri in Season 7.

19. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought Tom/B'elanna was the most realistic relationship shown in Trek. I was surprised actually. It was one of the better parts of VOY.

20. Kobayshi Maru

Kobayshi Maru Commodore Commodore

Ezri is not the first woman that Worf treated boorishly, back on TNG in the ep. Birthright, the half Klingon woman Ba'el, he treated her like dirt (because of racial prejudice) for part of the episode and then mumbled some clumsy apologies for it. I think it's just the way Worf relates to women in general.

21. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That couple would be better without Keiko. All that complaining about life on DS9, what Miles eats, resenting his spending time goofing around with Julian, etc.

Absolutely. It wasn't insta-love, or a relationship that happened off-camera. We saw their initial less-than-positive interactions, initial interest, dating, ups and downs of their developing relationship, their realization that they loved each other, their marriage, getting used to the idea of being parents, and finally experiencing Miral's birth in the last few minutes of the series... all this took SEVEN YEARS to happen, so yes, I'd say it's the most realistic married relationship in Star Trek.