Why no rock music in Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Lynx, Aug 26, 2018.

1. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The current Bond thinks that.

2. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I gave up on Bond films after about the second Timothy Dalton outing. I like Derek Flint much better, even if there were only two Flint films.

Oh, and let's see: Gounod. Prokofiev. Rimsky-Korsakov. Shostakovich. Holst. Ralph ("long-A, silent L") Vaughan Williams. . . .

3. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Direct me to the Trek Episodes where they're listening to Rite of Spring or the end of Bolero at full volume. Seriously, get used to generalizations because they're part of the shorthand of how Hollywood writes. If it would make you feel better to be specific, the definitive Trek music isn't just "classical", it's light chamber music, the sort of thing you'd expect to hear as people pass Grey Poupon back and forth.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
    Albertese and ZapBrannigan like this.
  4. matthunter

matthunter Admiral Admiral

It's not just rock music, there are large swathes of human culture that get crowded out in favour of alien stuff or just "high culture" human stuff. No-one seems to drink coffee anymore, it's raktajinos all round. Sisko's Dad bought us Creole/Cajun food, but beyond that what human meals have we seen our regulars enjoy lately? Would Klingons enjoy chilli? Or a curry? I'm betting even they might appreciate a glass of Laphroaig whiskey... sod bloodwine, that's a real warrior's drink.

No-one seems to watch TV anymore - granted they have holodecks but they need physical interaction... what do Trek characters do to "Netflix and chill"?

5. hbquikcomjamesl

Captain Janeway was always a big coffee drinker.

And of course, in "The Trouble with Tribbles," Kirk walks up to a food slot, orders a chicken sandwich and coffee, and ends up with a large side order of live tribbles.

. . . Debussy. Copland. Alain. Gershwin. . . .

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, lots of coffee drinking in TOS. Kirk was often sipping coffee on the bridge, sometimes served by Yeoman Rand, who once used a phaser to heat a pot of coffee as I recall.

And "There's coffee in that nebula" is one of Janeway's greatest lines.

7. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

If that's the perception of jazz, then it's drifted quite far from its roots.

Kor

UnknownSample likes this.
  8. hbquikcomjamesl

Given that the Preservation Hall Jazz Band has, to the best of my recollection, been included exactly twice, over the past third of a century, in the Los Angeles Philharmonic's "Jazz at the Bowl" series, and has, to the best of my recollection, made exactly one appearance in Disney Hall since it opened, and that the Hollywood Bowl Museum's current second-floor exhibition, on the history of jazz at the Bowl, doesn't appear to even mention them, I would take your statement as an axiom, and not just in a Star Trek context. (And yes, as a matter of fact, I have been known to sit through three consecutive sets at Preservation Hall. No food, no bar, no smoking; all they serve is traditional New Orleans jazz, in its absolute purest form.)

9. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Music preserved in significant form:
    Jazz: TNG, VOY
    Classical: VOY (Mahler's 1st)
    Opera: Berlioz, Klingon
    Folk/rock: arguably everything else, from TOS to ENT

10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think it's been mentioned, but Stamets' uncle apparently plays in a Beatles cover band. (But of course that doesn't make him John Lennon ;))

11. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

Jazz is wild, man. :p

[​IMG]

12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Watch The Orville to find out. The Orville is what a Trek-like society would be like without a snobbish lifestyle.

Coyote Annabis likes this.
  13. Galaxy

Galaxy Captain Captain

Is this...

...not soft rock?

sekundant likes this.
  14. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm glad there's so much high culture in Trek. It's sorely lacking in today's popular society.

Kor

Paul Weaver and ZapBrannigan like this.
  15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Please define high culture.

And do so with being pretentious or smug or haughty.

16. hbquikcomjamesl

Hmm. My favorite "Beatles cover band" would have to be the Hampton String Quartet (with "The Off-White Album"). I don't have their Led Zeppelin cover album(s), though. I do have their Christmas albums, and one or two of their first rock covers.

17. Paul Weaver

Paul Weaver Vice Admiral Premium Member

Sulu's tea cup smashed in TUC, which unlike the ship shaking was the one thing that automatically instigated red alert. Obviously Picard liked tea - however for breakfast he preferred coffee and croissants. Ticket and troi drank coffee in "lower decks", geordi had an iced coffee at some point I think.

Wesley turned down coffee when sharing a shuttle with Picard,

DS9 had much coffee - OBrien never drank it in the afternoon. According the Keiko anyway. While most characters admitted to raktajino I don't think Miles ever did.

18. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Also, Greg, stumbled upon a picture and thought of you:
    [​IMG]

Shaka Zulu, 1001001, dahj and 4 others like this.
  19. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

You win the interwebz for the day.
    You get a cookie.

Greg Cox likes this.
  20. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No thank you. I prefer sophisticated, high quality, science fiction. None of this low-brow, plebeian ephemera.