Why is command wearing blue?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by ALF, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Kaziarl

Kaziarl Commodore Commodore

Well, I don't recally seeing many details. It was pretty dark those first few scenes. But IIRC, Kevin was supposed to be a science vessel right? (Atleast I think I head something along those lines.) Maybe Robau, bad ass as he was, had a blue uniform because he was a science officer.

As an example, Spock was a part of the command staff, but he wore blue. Scotty was as well, and wore red.

Perhaps something is different in regards to becoming captain, but no one really knows.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Was it just me, or was Admiral Pike's new dress uniform at the very end of the movie somewhat reminiscent of the one Kirk wore at the start of TMP? The one with the slate-grey and white colors and sorta dull overall impact? I wonder if Abrams and his people saw scenes from TMP and thought it'd be a good idea to do a partial riff on the first Kirk outfit from that film.

jackoverfull likes this.
  3. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

On the official site, it says in the ship's dossier that Kelvin-type vessels were primarily used for survey missions, so that could easily fit with having it crewed and commanded by people with science backgrounds.

On the other hand, the security officer was also wearing blue, so who knows?

4. Kaziarl

That was the security officer? I suppose it works, I'd certainly stop dead in my tracks if he/she/it was chasing me down the corridor, either that or run head first into a wall out of fear.

Gotta say, they did a great job with the aliens in this one.

5. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Actually, I remember reading on the Intel site that he/she/it was the navigator, and hence would be in the command/navigation division.

6. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Mmm, sorry. I did search but didn't find it. I try not to be duplicatin' the old threads. I wanted to start a thread on the medical chick with weird eyes. I thought she was really cool. Of course, there's no image yet on Memory Alpha so I can't illustrate... you know who I mean. So I searched the forums for "weird eyes" and I couldn't find anything. Then I realized it probably wasn't much of a topic anyway. I mean, what's there to say.
    "Medical doctor lady had weird eyes."
    "yah, that was cools111"
    "I didn't like her weird eyes, they weren't cannon[sic], Matt Jefferies says [link]"... blah blah etc. That's what that thread would be like.

Er, this is the only theory that explains it. I hear a security dude was wearing blue, too... and those pics from TMP are interesting as well. The Kelvin-era uniforms did look very cool.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  7. M'Sharak

Nope, security officer. The Intel "boldly go" site is no longer up, but you can see the caps made from it here and here.

Memory Alpha also has her down as Security Officer:

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/Alnschloss_K'Bentayr

8. JuanBolio

JuanBolio Admiral Admiral

Hmm... maybe they got it wrong, then. He was in what is classically the navigator's seat, and the guy in red who is listed as the "helmsman" on the Intel site (the young guy on the captain's right) seemed to be doing the shooting/defensive moves. That's the same seat that Kirk's weapons officer sat at during the Kobayashi Maru test.

9. M'Sharak

I don't see it being a problem having a new thread. (The old thread is here if you want to have a look.)

I liked her, too, and it seems now that a few photos and scans of press clippings have been added to the "Starfleet doctor" actress' website (weren't there last time I checked) so it may be worth taking a look (I've linked to the non-Flash version.)

10. Kaziarl

From your link (its off of a scanned article, so I can't copy/paste, nor can I link the image):
    :guffaw::guffaw: Too dang funny.

11. M'Sharak

This one?

12. Kaziarl

That just goes to the top of the gallery, the same picture as your avatar. The page I'm referring to is in the right hand column, second one down.

13. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

It didn't bother me. If the department colours/uniforms changed between TOS season three and TMP; again between TMP and TWOK; and between TUC and TNG; I can accept them changing in the 80 years between ENT and the beginning of XI.

To paraphrase McCoy: 'I know Starfleet uniform designers, they LOVE to change things'!

Actually, the Kelvin uniforms in 2233 reminded me of the future uniforms we saw in TNG's 'All Good Things', DS9's 'The Visitor', and VOY's 'Endgame'.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep, they did that on purpose.

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I always found the constant change in uniforms pretty ridiculous. How many times do uniform designs change in real military?

Voyager was the only ship that had the same uniforms for 7 years, and that's just because she was stranded in the Delta Quadrant. Picard's Enterprise(s) went through 4 uniform designs in 8 years. They even had two different uniforms scattered randomly across the officers at the same time in Generations, which is the peak of unbelievability, I guess.

So the TWOK design is the "most successful" uniform design, it stayed from the 2280s to the 2350s. While all the others barely made it 3-4 years average.

Can you cite a source? I'm all ears for an interview with the costume designer.

16. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess the Kelvin's uniforms did close the "unknown gap" between Enterprise and TOS although only slightly.

M'Sharak's avatar is cool.

17. Alpha_Geek

Alpha_Geek Commodore Commodore

Maybe Kelvin was primarily a scientific vessel?

18. I am not Spock

The change in uniforms every couple of years in Starfleet is probably because, I assume, the toy companies wanted to pump out a new line of figurines! :lol:

The TWOK era ones, indeed, are the most long-lived, surviving for decades. The First Contact/late DS9 ones lasted for quite a while, too.

I didn't so much mind the crew wearing both TNG season 7 and DS9/VOY jumpsuits in Generations, because it showed a kind of transition period between the two designs. Just like we saw background extras wearing early TNG jumpsuits in later TNG episodes.

19. Corinthian7

Corinthian7 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like this theory. I think I might adopt as part of my personal 'canon'!:techman:

20. I am not Spock

^ Indeed, that is a good theory. I will subscribe to this one.