Why do you watch Star Trek?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by bobzhou525, Mar 31, 2012.

1. bobzhou525

bobzhou525 Cadet Newbie

Having just finished a Trek TV series (DS9), I feel inspired to ask this question of other people: why do (or did) you watch Star Trek?

Simply put, my primary reason (besides entertainment) for watching Star Trek is to see a vision of the future. To see Roddenberry-style optimism and ideology, but also to challenge and question it (as was done in DS9) is very important, because (in my opinion) the purpose of television is not only entertain us but also to inspire us to search for ways to turn that which we hope for into reality.

As someone whose day job (as a scientist) directly contributes towards bringing into reality this more hopeful vision of the future, I'd say that Star Trek has been a pretty significant continuing inspiration for me, both personally and professionally. Trek's depiction of science (both the technobabble and its tendency to depict research as a largely individual effort, which is almost universally false these days) is deficient in many aspects, but in its ability to inspire people to take up research in the first place, it has been very successful in many cases. And that's not even considering the questions regarding morality and the human condition that are addressed to different extents (and sometimes very effectively) throughout each of the series.

But that's just me, and maybe I take television too seriously. So I was curious as to what you guys think - why do you watch Star Trek?

2. Mr. Domino

Mr. Domino Lieutenant Red Shirt

copy/pasted from a Facebook post I made a few months back:

"These are the voyages, that we take every day. To seek out new friendships and new challenges. To boldly go - because anything else just wouldn't be enough. Star Trek has been, and always shall be, the best in all of us. Friendship, Understanding, and the willingness to sacrifice anything in the face of those who would challenge it. Kirk, Picard, Sisko, Janeway, Archer, and the rest may not be real, but that doesn't mean we don't all have a lot to learn from them. Live Long and Prosper, everyone."

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Because I have nothing better to do and it's an easy way to kill an hour.

4. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Because I like it. ;)

I love science fiction for all the possibilities, ideas and visions it offers. And Trek is one of its best examples, I think. I also appreciate the generally positive outlook it has.

5. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I love Star Trek's optimistic vision of the future, the moral/ethical issues that come up, and the characters.

And, no, Bobzhau525, I don't think you take television too seriously at all.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I watched the original because it was fun, big action heroes who punched the bad guy, saved the day and got the girl (in most cases).

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Mainly because I like Starfleet and their starships. Great stories and characters make it even better.

8. Knight Templar

Knight Templar Commodore

I love to see technology advancing and how it relates to solving problems.

and I love to see starships blasting away at other starships.

9. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

It's my mom's fault.

10. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the very idea of being in space, space ships, science fiction (the old 40's, 50's, and 60's stuff the best), like to see the hero win the day and get the girl (or boy whatever), the friendships between characters.

:)

11. lau03143

lau03143 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The same reason I watch any sci-fi, fantasy, comedy or even read a non-fiction book.

Escapisim. To be able to immerse yourself, and for a short time, loose yourself from all the woes of real-life!

12. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like a fantasy universe to immerse myself in. Star Trek is my universe of choice in part because there is so darn much of it, 700+ episodes, movies and a still alive fandom. If it had been Bab5 spanning decades that could have been my universe of choice but the fandom is not very active and there just isn't as much of it. Star Trek is everywhere so this makes it much more than just a dvd set sitting on a shelf.

Damn it Jim, it's a lifestyle not a hobby!

Now let me just put on my uniform, jury duty calls.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watch Trek because:

- I like it

- The Federation, while certainly not perfect, is basically decent and benevolent

- Space battles :D

So as you can see, my tastes are not what you would call sophisticated. Whether or not any particular episode has a heavy-handed message and/or complex moral conundrum is really not my concern. Action helps; humor helps.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I watch TOS occasionally when I have insomnia - I've seen every episode so many times that I can close my eyes and use the soundtrack as soothing noise, because I'm not curious about what's going on, onscreen. It's kind of like music videos in that respect.

15. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This!

16. horatio83

horatio83 Commodore Commodore

When I started watching it I thought it was the greatest thing on TV. Nowadays I merely watch it because I like tribbles ... with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

17. TimeTraveler

TimeTraveler Cadet Newbie

I was originally attracted to Star Trek because of Gene Roddenberry's optimistic view of the future. I remember the scene where Captain Picard explained to the man who had been in suspended animation since the 20th (or was it 21st Century?) that they had no need of money. Imagine a future where people devote their lives to gaining knowledge. These days, Star Trek is a welcome respite from the stresses of the day. I sit in my cushy recliner with my DVD player, put on my headphones, and get lost in the 24th century for awhile.

18. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Escapism. Star Trek has a generally positive view of the future so it's a universe where you'd want to live it versus other sci-fi that's more downbeat. Who really wants to live in a dystopian future? That's not to say I don't enjoy other sci-fi universes that are darker or here it's basically the same as today except with more advanced tech and aliens, space travel, etc. I do. But it's the upbeat nature of the future that keeps me watching Star Trek. Plus it's got cool gadgets, aliens, space battles and loads of hot alien girls.

19. aht8orange

aht8orange Ensign Newbie

I watch Star Trek because my dad turned me into a huge TNG fan when it was on, my grandparents gave me all the original movies on vhs, and I was forever in love with the characters and hopeful ideology.

20. TheLobes

TheLobes Commander Red Shirt

The good series of Star Trek (TOS, TNG and DS9) are very stylistically unique shows. Theres definitely shows which are better in terms of overall qaulity, but star trek gives me something I dont get on those shows. Its a show of very broad themes and characterisation. The characters are less believable individuals and more broad archetypes that are designed to express a certain view.

When I get someone to watch trek I always tell them to look at it like Shakespeare, and Ive got to stress that this is not a comparison of quality; the characters and the way characters interact are very similiar in both. Characters will often speak in long speeches that are less about realism and more about expressing a certain point of view. Characters, really, are foremost ambassadors for broad world views. And the events and decisions made can usually be expanded into a broader meaning. Star Trek is more about humanity, and less about humans, and I think thats very interesting.