Why Do People Hate the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by VulcanMindBlown, Mar 17, 2017.

?

Why Do You Hate the Star Wars Prequel Trilogy the Most?

1. The Actors

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Plot/Writing

20 vote(s)
    28.6%
  3. The Era Shouldn't Have Been Explored

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. It Wasn't Like the Original Trilogy

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  5. Nearly Everything Was CGI

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. The Characters

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Political Storylines

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  8. Too Many Shades of Grey

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  9. Dialog

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. George Lucas and the People He Put In It (Be More Specific)

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  11. There Is More Than One Best Reason to Not Like The

27 vote(s)
    38.6%
  12. Too Childish

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  13. Too Evenly Matched Sides

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. The Action

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  15. Other (Comment Below)

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

If you like the prequal trilogy GREAT! Enjoy. But the common opinion universal is that it pales to the original. If you don't believe me go to https://www.rottentomatoes.com and look the movies up for yourself..

It's okay to be the minority opinion. Avatar is the biggest selling movie of all time and I thought it was pure garbage. I loved BvS while most hated it. I'm fine with that. Public opinion doesn't pay my bills so I'll enjoy what I wish.But Im not going to argue against what evidence is blatantly obvious.

2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What evidence? Who's arguing? If everyone loved Avatar, but you thought it was garbage, isn't that the opposite of your point about the Prequels? If you created a tomatometer score of the original trilogy movies, using only reviews that were written at the time of each release, what would the scores be? Would they be very different from the Prequel's scores? Methinks not, because RT actually went and did this, and while not comprehensive, it paints a very different picture than the current scores based on reviews almost exclusively post 1997.

Seeking consensus for art and entertainment devalues art and entertainment into a binary system of yay/nay. This same thing is happening in some of the Discovery threads, where people are seeking aggregate "scores" to bolster their own opinions on entirely subjective matters.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
  3. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

What is obvious?

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

I was a teen at the time, never camped, and did one midnight showing for ROTS (that was dumb, by the way. I don't recommend it). For TPM, I simply walked away thinking it was entertaining enough, but it didn't "feel" like Star Wars to me. At the time, I was too young to really get why. Just that it was really a fun movie, but didn't really feel connected to Star Wars.

Over the years, I've softened to these films, and allowed the shadow of hype give way to more just not enjoyable for me. I certainly can appreciate the visuals, but it misses for me.

5. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

My two cents:

1. Trailblazing as the effects and digital cameras were, the makers should have waited a bit longer. The blu-rays don't look as good as the movies could have been.
    2. TPM has Anakin being rather more of a MarySue trope than Rey was. But the prequels are easy to forget...
    3. The movies plod their plot so incessantly that were they worth doing? There's little emotional depth to the characters - never mind those whiz-bang action sequences - that, if the actors are being wooden, they're all acquitted from the get-go. Especially as all the actors have done stellar work in couintless other films, the prequels just feel so out of sync. Having names like "General Whiny Grievance" and "Black Friday Maul-er" and "Count D. Doodoo" and "Queen Senator Amidalek" and "Quack Boy Djinn" and so on and so on certainly didn't help... oh wait, did I just make a mock? (Yup, I feel sorry for the talent involved...)
    4. It also bugs me that the prequels have much better technology than the original trilogy. Can attrition really explain the gulf between the prequels and original trilogy? If that was even the intent, noting point number six below as the preemptive rebuttal to this point?
    5. Added on that, the movies themselves have zero continuity. Red Letter Media, Everything Wrong With ___, etc, nail it at every turn - not that one needs to see those to pick up on a number of issues... they just utilize more time and resources in doing so in order to make more entertaining productions.
    6. You know there's a huge blunder when storyboarding the prequel trilogy's chapters when Darth Maul - by far the best thing about the prequel trilogy - is dispatched only after 12 minutes of screen time and in the first of the three entries, no less! Yet in later movies the shiny guards with the dual-blade purple stun sticks are trying to suggest "Yo, audience, if we weren't this myopic we would have had Maul back and with his best bud for double the double saber action. Sorry about that! Here, buy some toys - they look great next to Windu's purple saber."
    7. Sand. Not only does it get into places we daren't ever say in a family movie as Anakin talks to Amidala about places he never wants to get busy with her at, it's used to make the microchips to produce the soon-to-be-dated special effects.

Now, the prequels certainly had potential in universe expanding and in some ways it's not unappreciated, but given the clunky execution with a lot of that dialogue, "quantity over quality" with pointless lightsaber and space dogfight scenes, exposition told with precious little shown, was the exploration of the universe really necessary? Or even wanted? A coughing robot that can twirl his egg beater arms to whisk out four light sabers, what with it getting dispatched quickly afterward and all, wasn't a spectacle people were clamoring over. Did toy sales help?

Especially when the "special edition remastering" was done largely to appease the prequels, with those changes only adding to the problems. Even good decisions like getting
    Iain MacDiarmid into TESB has him spouting off so much dialogue that the end result is counterintuitive. If they chopped half of what he recited for the new footage and took out the big hint of Luke = Anakin's kid, that would have been perfect. (And, yes, some of the changes were worthwhile... sadly, so many weren't...)

In retrospect, even TFA - which has its share of awfulness - still isn't as bad. Mostly due to the characters, and how they get developed (and subverted) in TLJ (thankfully).

fireproof78 likes this.
  6. fireproof78

Exactly.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

What does this even mean? :shrug:

Ask the many who wanted to see such a thing in the Sequel Trilogy and were disappointed.

Yes, we surely don't want to let the cat out of the bag on that one! :rolleyes:

bwa ha ha

Qonundrum likes this.
  8. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

If nothing else, Queen Amidala there becomes a Senator in the next movie (AOTC) for no reason, then gets to report to the shiny new Queen again (ROTS) with all the bureaucracy involved. While too much exposition can kill a narrative, having absolutely none there with characters being in different places for no reason or continuity has the same result. And how do Queens voluntarily give up their royaldom to begin with? Not that anyone cares about how the new Queen got there or anything...

Will do. :) I know of the novels and video games, all now decanonized...

Huh?

If you mean why the special edition of TESB shot footage of MacDermid at all...

:)

9. Set Harth

That's a continuity issue? Someone wanted to run for public office? Presumably people have reasons for when they do that, including fictional ones who talk about their reasons in the film... :shrug:

AOTC, not ROTS. We never see her report to ROTS's queen, probably because in ROTS she only turns up on Naboo as a dead person.

Pretty sure the film is 100% clear as to why its characters go to various places.

Explained outright in the film. It was that pesky dialogue thing.

I seriously doubt it, if the 'zero continuity' thing is any indication.

Why take out "hints"? What's the point?

burningoil likes this.
  10. fireproof78

Pretty certain that it is the same queen in AOTC and ROTS.

11. Set Harth

Nope.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  12. fireproof78

I stand corrected.

13. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

George had no one to tell him NO during the prequels. Unlike his producers, actors, and ex-wife during the OT, no one stood up to George when he wanted to move forward with any bad ideas. He had surrounded himself with "yes men" who were cowed by his persona as "the creator"; they had "drank the Kool-Aid" as it were.

ichab, USS Firefly and fireproof78 like this.
  14. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're shiny but soulless things in comparison with the OT or even TFA. I'm not as sold on TLJ but I've seen it only once so far. The characters were mostly very bland and it was so CGI it could just as well have been animated.

fireproof78 likes this.
  15. General_Phoenix

General_Phoenix Captain Captain

A few things would have made the prequels better. Having Anakin a little older so Obi-Wan's, and Anakin's age coincide with the OT. Having Obi-Wan and Anakin better friends, and having Obi-Wan in on Anakin's and Padme's secret. Basically Anakin trust Obi-Wan to tell him of Padme being pregnant. Would also make a powerful scene, where Anakin tells Obi-Wan that if anything happens to him to give his lightsaber to his son.

The prequels just feel disjointed on so many levels. I am able to enjoy them more now than I did when they first came out though.

16. LJones41

LJones41 Commodore Commodore

There is no way on God's Earth would I consider any film from the Sequel Trilogy better than those from the Prequel Trilogy or the Original Trilogy. Personally, I regard both "The Force Awakens" and "The Last Jedi" as travesties. You're entitled to feel otherwise, but the idea of trying to force the idea that the Prequel Trilogy is worse than any of the Disney films as a fact is laughable to me. To me.

17. fireproof78

Good thing no one has to watch those awful Disney films :techman:

18. Prax

Obi-Wan is 17 years older than Anakin. This lines up quite well with the OT, where Obi-Wan is about 60, Luke about 20, And Vader somewhere in between.

"Your powers are weak, old man."
    "...a student of mine...named Darth Vader"

Lucas has said that he sees the saga as silent films. The focus is not on dialogue, but the language of visuals, sound, editing, etc.

Also, can anyone really complain about cgi in the prequels at this point? Not only did they feature more "practical effects" than the originals, but the sequels as well. The worlds are so much more imaginative than what came before or since. There's simply no comparison.

burningoil likes this.
  19. Prax

An often repeated assertion with simply no evidence.

burningoil likes this.
  20. fireproof78

Yes, we can.

Also, I don't know if anyone argued that the PT isn't pretty to look at. So, good screen saver?