Why did Jadzia not remember why Curzon obstructed her initiation?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by kira_nerys, Jul 13, 2020.

1. kira_nerys

kira_nerys Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Was wondering, why couldn't Jadzia remember why Curzon kicked her out of the initiate program? If she could remember all her previous hosts' skills and lives (except for Joran, which was planned), why did she not know until Curzon told her?

(Sorry if this has been discussed before, I couldn't find a related thread if it does exist)

2. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Because Dax (the symbiont) is a lifeform unto itself, and did not share those memories with her.

It's illustrated earlier in the episode when Jadzia meets previous hosts. Jadzia admits that she didn't know where she got the habit of holding her hands clasped behind her back from, Lela-Nerys tells her it comes from her. And Emony-Leeta talks about how being joined helped her concentration during gymnastics, which Jadzia did not know.

3. somebuddyX

somebuddyX Commodore Commodore

This makes a lot of sense! I thought it was an oversight by the writers in not thinking it through, and maybe it could have been, but I really think this makes a great explanation. I was googling for other explanations just in case and on reddit they mention Joran and how there were memory blocks in place for him so seems reasonable that Dax could also make it's own memory blocks as well.

kira_nerys likes this.
  4. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the not-sharing would be intentional, to protect the new recipient from completely being overwhelmed after the joining and losing his/her own identity. The joining seems to be hard enough as it is.

kira_nerys likes this.
  5. kira_nerys

Ahh! That does make sense. I wonder if this means none of the previous hosts are really ever dead dead.

6. at Quark's

at Quark's Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would suppose they would be dead in the same sense a drone that has physically died in the Borg collective is dead. Their memories live on, as long as the host/collective lives, according to Seven's explanation.

7. kira_nerys

Interesting, I was more thinking based on the ^statements that the previous host made an 'active' decision to hide a memory from the new host, indicating that there is some conscious control exerted from the previous personalities.

8. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

I always wondered about Lela. What’s it like for the first hosts...no memories from a previous host...

Anyway, I had no issue as the host couldn’t possibly know every minutiae from every previous hosts...

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I admit I never even considered the possibility that the symbiont could choose not to share a memory with its host.

10. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I wondered about the scene in Emissary where Jadzia remembers being given the Dax symbiont while Curzon is still alive, and then in Let He Who Is Without Sin they say that Curzon died during jamaharon (sp?).
    They can’t both be true.

11. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

The jamaharon was the cause of his death, but he didn't die on Risa. He had time to travel back to Trill. Fixed. :)

12. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

To be fair, it was an orb vision. We have seen other visions of events that actually happened a bit differently...

13. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Me neither. Makes you wonder when it and why it would choose to release memories. But I also wonder if the host can block a host's own memories. Could it for example make Jadzia forget her own parents. We know from TNG that symbiot had complete control over it's hosts. Also memory itself is not reliable. We humans tend to remember things incorrectly. I wonder if that is the case with Trill. Can the memories change and if not I doubt they exist like some computer file in exact detail and accuracy to how it really happened.

Jason

14. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I tend to think that Trill memory was treated as if it were human memory. Some things become harder to retrieve, some things are outright suppressed. I am reminded about the first time Jadzia remembers Tobin: she gave a brief pause, as if she were evaluate memories she hadn't used.

15. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

She had the memories and experiences of five other lifetimes to sort through before she even got to Curzon.

16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think memories work like that. I mean even I needed to think back to something that happened to me in 2000 I don't have to first run through the first 25 years of my life till I get to the 2000 memories.

Jason

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Or even if it was accurate, maybe Jadzia was near Risa when the call went out. Maybe Curzon made it back to Trill. Maybe...