Why did Chakotay Choose to be with seven instead of janeway?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lorthos, Sep 6, 2011.

1. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

:bolian:

Think about it. In DS9, trek KILLED Sisko's wife, not just once but twice if you count the mirror universe version.

Then they gave him Kassidy, but put her in jail.

Then she got out of jail and (?) married him... so they elevated him to wormhole prophet to escape domestic blissdom. :klingon:

:drool:
    Oh. My. GAWD. Yes!

With apologies to shatnerage... Janeway DID give up trying to escape the planet when there was no other choice after the storm, and its safe to say she was LOOKING FORWARD to bathing in the "river" on their boating trip... :alienblush: when Tuvok that blasted Vulcan had to come a calling and spoil her fun. :vulcan:

ewoodcourt likes this.
  2. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

I think it is quite likely that Janeway reciprocated Chakotay affection, but that she was also dedicated to her position and responsibility to the point of sacrificing that to duty. Viewers tend to think of Voyager as "TNG Lite" and forget the true danger they faced and the isolation they endured. They literally had no backup whatsoever, and the responsibility that Janeway faced had to be terrible.

As for the Admiral, well, her motives are not very well defined. It is out of character for Janeway to throw away two decades of history simply because she wanted to get home sooner, yet that is all we are shown on the finale. It is only natural to speculate about other motives, personal and professional, in order to make her actions more forgivable. I like to think there were many issues that made her do what she did, including having a second chance at a relationship with Chakotay. There is some very fine fanfic that explores this situation in hundreds of different ways.

3. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Which amuses me because from a very early age I've always considered TNG "Voyager lite". Since well before I had regular access to the internet, in fact! :lol:

I just love that premise so much.

4. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

I just assumed 7 blackmailed Chakotay into going out with her to get back at Janeway over the whole Omega particle debacle.

5. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well that's obviously the only way that she could trick a relatively straight bloke into taking his clothes off.

6. Fang66

Fang66 Lieutenant Commander

The question is ludicrously stupid. Choice A hot cyborg babe, choice B frumpy and grumpy general Janeway. The real question should be why did 7 choose Chakotay instead of one of the male crewmen who actually produced testosterone.

7. Smellincoffee

Smellincoffee Commodore Commodore

Because a relationship between two middle-aged adults wouldn't do much for the ratings, but any scene with Seven -- especially a romantic one -- would.

8. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I honestly think it was meant as an inside joke and big "F-U" to Mulgrew for not allowing Janeway to have an on going romantic interest like they wanted. I think they wanted to get Janeway & Chakotay together for a long, long time and Mulgrew heatedly refused every time. The writers knew J/C was part of the dynamtic that could have improved the show and brought in more viewers. So their answer was to Mulgrew was, then Janeway will never have him and paired him up with Seven instead. So because Mulgrew wanted Janeway to be all career, a career is now all she has. ;)
    Plus it being the last ep., Mulgrew couldn't debate it.

9. Rojixus

Rojixus Commander Red Shirt

I already said, to get back at Janeway.

10. starlitegirl

starlitegirl Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought they made perfect sense (Seven and Chakotay) because he was a bit of a teacher to her and brought out her humanity more. She came to appreciate his view of things, his anthropological view like in One Small Step and the one where they crash. They were almost opposites, but there was a bit of teacher/student going on there and it was clear that admiration developed. Seven was more like a young student at college, so I can see how that would appeal to Chakotay and how his views would appeal to her. He pushed her to see things but not to be a certain way which the Doc and Janeway did. She always resisted. Chakotay let her see for herself.

11. Guy Gardener

I spent 5 years following Sally Filed manbagging a succession of silverfoxes on Brothers and Sisters.

Apparently "Dilf" is a thing.

But the Dilf they were talking about was obviously a GDIF.

GDILF?

Gandalf?

Is there anyway ever that Lord of the Rings is not blatantly homoerotic?

12. starlitegirl

Now I have to watch and see if this is true. I never saw it, but I'm not given to think of or see those things. In fact, despite having a homosexual brother, I never ever see these things. He sees them, and I completely miss them.

13. froot

froot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guarding the Compound with the Grey Wardens
    These ass-backwards priorities would work on a character that's a 13-year-old kid in our time, but since these are mature adults who live in the enlightened 24th century where hopefully Looks (and perceived amounts of testosterone) Aren't Everything, I'm going to go ahead and say the question isn't what's ludicrously stupid here.

This is all just made-up. KM's said over and over again she A) helped with "Endgame" and B) Likes "Endgame," even if the fans don't, and C) Likes the idea of C/7. It's Ryan and Beltran who usually comment on how C/7 was too out-of-left-field for them.

EDIT: The writers were clearly pushing for J/C and she pushed back, but I doubt they'd want to get rid of perfectly good UST by making J/C openly get together any time before the end anyway.

14. Fang66

Fang66 Lieutenant Commander

Rubbish, pure sexual attraction is a major theme of Star Trek in the 23rd and 24th centuries. Biology won't change in 2 or 3 hundred years. 7 is much more physically attractive than Janeway so unless 7 has some major and I mean major character flaws then it is beyond ludicrous to think that Chakotay would actually even consider the sour faced hag Janeway over 7.

15. Guy Gardener

24th century humans live comfortably well into their 2nd century.

Janeway and Chakotay are kids.

"Starfleet" is something that kids do.

One can argue that she's wasted her child bearing years pursuing a career, but I would like to counter argue that if kathryn can still comfortably have children into her 90s, that Janeway is in no rush to find a man to settle down with or ride like a cowgirl.

16. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing that kills me is that Chakotay was never going the extra mile for Seven during her years on the ship. He was ready to drop her during (IIRC) "Dark Frontier", "Infinite Regress" and "Imperfection", when Janeway wasn't. He even admitted in "Hope and Fear that Janeway saw more in her than he could. For him in that last ep to all of a sudden say "WOW, lets do lunch." just seems so out of character. :crazy:

Then again, for Seven to reciprocate so easily after 4 years of solitude, THAT too seems unlikely. :censored:

Speaking of unlikely, how about going from a problem where a strong emotion could shut down her cortical node and kill her without multiple difficult surgical interventions, to a problem that can be healed in one afternoon in sickbay. No need for post op recovery either since she scheduled her date for the same day. :rolleyes:

I think the real problem was that between Captain Janeway and Admiral Janeway, there was nothing for C & 7 to "do" in "Endgame"... so TPTB put them into a side story where they (along with Tuvok and 22 other crew members) inspired the Admiral to change history. :ouch:

The real disservice in this story is that was "all" their characters did. :shrug:

Quite an igmoninious end to a character (7) that was assailed for taking the lion's share of story lines over the previous 4 years. :sigh:

ewoodcourt likes this.
  17. Markira

Markira Commander Red Shirt

The part that really makes me :barf: is when Chakotay tells Seven he wants to be in "transporter range" of her.

Misco likes this.
  18. starlitegirl

The amusing part about this discussion is that Chakotay is not even in the same League as Janeway. He's best off with a Borg just gaining her footing as a human that only recently discovered she had a six year relationship in a dream reality.

Janeway belongs with the guy from Workforce. I wanted him to stay on the ship. But nooooo. That wouldn't be proper. Egads. 30k LY from home and they're concerned with these things? With all the other members they had that weren't part of the fleet, they could have easily worked around that. Almost wish they didn't even put her in the adorable relationship. BOO!

19. Guy Gardener

Funny how Jim Read was back every other week to do Charmed.

If he had accepted a reoccurring role on voyager as Mr Janeway, which would have overlapped surely... If the casting directors of both Voyager and Charmed requested that Jim was on set on the same day and the same hour, which show would he acquiesce to?

But Voyager never called no matter how much he waited by the phone pining.

20. antiquityscion

antiquityscion Commander

I never liked the Chakotay\Seven romance, either. They had absolutely no chemistry at all. Personally, I thought Chakotay and Janeway would have been a better fit.

I mean I have tried to rationalize it in that in Unity, Chakotay fell for a blonde human Borg girl, Riley Frazier. It is possible that maybe Seven and Chakotay read each other's thoughts like Chakotay and Frazier. But they never explored that at all. And again, there just was no chemistry between the two.

That, and the fact that Chakotay tried to KILL Seven when they first met!

On Seven's end, the love of her life in Uni-matrix Zero, KoroK, could have had more stories, and they could have reunited somehow, with a good script. Would have made more sense.