Why did Carol need to change?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Tiberius Jim, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sure if he had the funding and resources of project genesis at his disposal that yes he could, I mean we are talking about someone who made a 2260s tricorder reader with 1930s electronics, gave a photon torpedo cloak tracking capabilities, and probably a whole bunch of other crazy stuff over the years.

2. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

What do you mean competant?
    Sneaky aboard Kirk's highly secure starship, 'disarming' a missile by pulling out all the wires (lucky it wasn't a real missile).

Actually she was brave and strong and loyal facing off her father. She has the potential to be competent in the next movie I think.

I know Spock is the best.
    Everyone know that.
    There is no-one better. No-one at all.
    Not even Data.

Just PrimeCarol was a pretty good scientist. At least Starfleet thought that. Gave her a space station to experiment with. A starship at her disposal.
    nuCarol - Her ability has yet to be seen. I'm pretty optimistic (fingers crossed) that we might see that in the next movie. Not jusr more underwear posing or just being there to conceive David.

Actually I don't even care that much about the underwear scene. Its nothing compared to ENTs lame reasons for prancing around naked or in their undies. Its just that every girl in nuTrek has appeared in their underwear and not every boy did. So maybe I'm saying its unfair.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Do you really want to see nuSarek in his underwear, though?

4. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that's just how the costume is constructed, but that in-universe they are supposed to be windows. It makes sense from the point of view of Starfleet having to mass produce the suits, having a single design that isn't division-specific and relies on the officers existing tunic to show the color.

5. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

But it doesn't make sense from a practical standpoint of female officers that don't wear tunics and pants like their male counterparts. They wear miniskirt uniforms requiring them to change in order to put on this style jumpsuit.

The window option doesn't work.

6. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Is it? If this is an shore party uniform, it makes sense you'd want your female offers to swap out uniforms for one that offers more protection.

7. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't make practical sense for the female officers to wear a miniskirt in the first place. We saw in TOS that some women wear the unisex version of the uniform. Maybe the miniskirt is an option that some female officers make with the knowledge that they'd have to change out of it in the same room as their captain should they need to put on the flight suit. ;)

Besides, looking at the high-res shots it is clear that the costume designers intended them to be windows as you can see the seam of the duty uniform. Why would the flight suit have it's own division color patch that replicates that part of the shirt? The only explanation for the seam is because it's supposed to be the duty uniform underneath.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

When we see Marcus on the planetoid working on the torpedo, we see the blue through the little windows. So either she put on another uniform before putting on the flight suit or those are just color patches sewn into the suits.

9. Opus

Opus Commodore Commodore

And yet, they do. :sigh:

And we have proof that females must get out of their minidresses in order to put on the flight suit in STiD.

And we have further proof that Kirk was quite the cad in his youth as he could not keep himself from looking as Carol was making the needed, in-universe change.

10. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm just glad to see this universe Carol not take any shit from Kirk, either. :lol:

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read that as shirt and I was wondering why on earth you would be glad about that J.Allen.

12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Huh? All the closeup pics I saw seemed to indicate they were transparent window panels.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Check the pics posted by BillJ and Salvor above. The colors remain the same even when Spock is wearing the black undershirt. It appears to be a patch, not a window.

14. SonicRanger

SonicRanger Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For the practical "real-world" costume, yes, so that the actors don't have to wear an extra layer under the stage lights... but "in-universe" it seems to be a little window, emphasized by the uniform seam visible exactly where it should be.

It's like saying Picard's uniform had a zipper -- it didn't "in-universe" but obviously Patrick Stewart needed to get into it somehow using today's technology.

15. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This is the answer.

They needed a shot of those mamacitas in a bra for the trailer.

16. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

For filming, yes. Otherwise it's like Gort's costume in the original "The Day the Eart Stood Still". Two versions were made. A zipper in front for the back shots, and a zipper in the back for front shots. Similarly, Spock's uniform collar had Velcro closures and everyone else had zips. The Ilia Probe's neck sensor was held in place by nylon line the camera couldn't see. And so on.

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

At the start of the movie, Sulu has the blue-grey of his wetsuit showing through the shoulders of his flightsuit. Therefore, they are supposed to be windows, regardless of how the costumes are constructed IRL. I suspect the actors would have baked in all three layers, especially when filming indoors!

18. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Was Spock ever seen in this suit in STID?

I assume the flight suit for whatever reason is used in the shuttles.
    Wasn't Spock in the shuttle 3 times?
    1. In volcano protective suit.
    2. Coming back aboard the Enterprise (was he in the flight suit then? - I thought he was in uniform but I can't remember that well)
    3. In Mudd's shuttle in casual disguise.
    Have I missed it?

I thought Carol's suit was white but that might be a trick of the light.
    Can anyone with the STID DVD or blu-ray post a picture of Carol's flight suit and McCoys while you're there?
    Presumably they're wearing the same type of suit on the same mission.

19. danellis

danellis Captain Captain

Wouldn't crewmembers "bake" in the same way, too?

dJE

20. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member