Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by JarodRussell, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Science doesn't reject the notion of a god. The issue is that there has been no evidence to suggest that one or more exist. A scientist can have a personal faith, but injecting faith into science takes away the science in favor of the faith.

You can have faith a bridge won't collapse when you drive over it; I'd rather have the science behind it's construction, instead.

2. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

I'm right because I have 150 years of observation and experimental evidence to support me (no evidence has even suggested that evolution doesn't occur)

You're stupid not if you ask why (that's actually very clever), but if you don't want to know why

3. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

"Science" does nothing of the sort. The question whether God/s exist/s is simply outside the field of interest.

Easier than actually learning about the subject, that's for sure. It's not like the evidences for evolution are super-secret or anything. Just crack a book and educate yourself.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When you have empirical evidence on your side, yes, it is really easy.

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

In a sense, it is. It's called Artificial Selection-- it's sort of the technology to evolutionary science. It also demonstrates that Humanity has been aware of evolution to some degree for thousands of years.

6. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

Artificial selection vs natural selection is a false dichotomy. They are the same thing biologically and genetically, the only difference is the selective agent (and seeing as humans are part of nature, it could be argued that they are the same)

7. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

A great example of the fundamental problem: science doesn't say anything about God, one way or the other. It simply describes observable processes and natural laws through a standardized method.

Now you've gone one toke over the line, Mister!

:scream:

:lol:

8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

One need only to watch Carl Sagan's masterful telling of the Heikigani Crab/drowning warrior story to fully understand this point.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIeYPHCJ1B8[/yt]

We can also see evolutionary processes (greatly sped up) in HIV, and in resistant staph strains.

9. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

I never understood this. There are no different orders of creation listed in Genesis.

10. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about people being created twice? Once together and once separately.

11. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

Genesis 1:25-27

God creates the beasts and then Man.

Genesis 2: 18-19

Animals created after Man.

Most certainly a different order.

12. RyanKCR

RyanKCR Vice Admiral Admiral

2:18-19 don't indicated a different order. "Had formed" is in refernce to something that happened before (1:25-27) to give foundation to this new thing about to occur (naming of animals and finding a helper for Adam.)

13. Miss Chicken

Lets go with the New American Standard Bible instead

where it says "formed" rather than "had formed" and it shows that, at lest, the Bible account is ambiguous.

14. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

In the NRSV, Genesis 2 is clear that the animals came after Adam:

"18 Then the Lord God said, "It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him a helper as his partner." 19 So out of the ground the Lord God formed every animal of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to the man to see what he would call them; and whatever the man called every living creature, that was its name."

God wanted to give the man a partner, so he formed the animals and birds.

15. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

I love that we are arguing the different English translations of the Latin translation of the Greek translation of the original ancient Hebrew....

16. Miss Chicken

You think that God, in all His Glory, could have found a way to keep His Book easy to interpret.

17. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I blame the holy ghost writer.

18. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

:bolian::lol:

19. EmoBorg

EmoBorg Commodore Commodore

Reading the later translated versions like the King James Bible or New American Standard Bible may not be that accurate.

There are two early translated versions that i would recommend for reading

Tyndale Bible is the first English bible to be translated from the Hebrew and Greek texts. Only the new testament is available as the translator, William Tyndale was executed before he could complete the old testament translation from Greek/Hebrew to English.

Wycliffe's Bible is perhaps the first translation of the Latin bible into English.

Both the Tyndale Bible and Wycliffe Bible are the earliest English language bibles that i know of. It could be argued that they represent the most accurate english translation of the bible from the original Greek, Hebrew and and Latin bibles.

Biblegateway is an online site where you can access many translations and versions of the Bible including the ones that i mentioned.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  20. Llama

Llama Captain Captain

Especially when it can cause distress. Eg. there is no commandant "thou shall not kill", in the Hebrew it is "thou shall not murder". There is a huge difference between killing and murdering - just ask a soldier.

If religious person who literally interprets the bible accidentally kills someone, say in a car accident, the guilt would be bad enough without the thought (and added shame) that they were now a "sinner" because they broke a commandment

Winner! :)