Who would you want to write for Star Trek?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Darth_Pazuzu, Jul 6, 2007.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

On this board...if a show doesn't go 7+ years, it's considered a flop and/or quickly canceled. ;)

2. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

Well, he also did Star Trek Log One, Two, Three, Ectera...
    So he has a bit of a history with Trek before TMP....

- W -
    * Remember ? *

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm sure he does. That doesn't change the fact that Foster's only involvement with The Motion Picture was reworking the Genesis II script into something usable for Star Trek: Phase II.

4. GodThingFormerly

GodThingFormerly A Different Kind of Asshole

An "American" in Friedrichshafen, Deutschland
    Robot's Return only existed in the form of a brief episode description in Gene Roddenberry's Genesis II writer's guide, not an actual script.

C'mon, ZH, Lem was perfectly content to make money out of Der Schweigende Stern, Ikarie XB 1 and both versions of Solaris while publicly trashing those films after the fact. That said, just change the names of the characters and spacecraft in Lem's Fiasco and you could have had the conceptual basis for the single greatest Trek film never made. Of course, a putting a real director in charge of the project wouldn't have hurt either.

TGT

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd hire David Gerrold as a Producer/Story editor.

I'd hire J. Michael Straczyski to write at least one episode if not more.

6. BragaKiller32586

BragaKiller32586 Ensign Red Shirt

I'd hire, oh, say an actual fan for a change. That's what excites me about the new movie is that actual fans are writing, directing and putting the whole thing together.

It will be a nice change from the slow poison B&B have been injecting into Treks veins for several years.

-K

7. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I dunno about putting someone who's just a fan in charge. Hopefully, they'd be good science fiction writers above all else.

Personally, I'd go looking for the next Arthur C. Clarke or Asimov and turn 'em loose. I think Brian Herbert could do it, maybe a few others. But I'd rather have a good scifi storyline. I would have said Chrichton a few years ago, but he's rambling so much in his books that they aren't good (He'll drop the plot for pages to pontificate about how he thinks science is going bad).

Trek is supposed to be scifi first. :borg:

8. BragaKiller32586

BragaKiller32586 Ensign Red Shirt

I agree. I didn't mean 'fan' as in the average Joe that just watches the show when it comes on or whatever. I can see how I did sound a bit juvenile to you, ha.

It takes extensive knowledge/skill in writing and Trek-Lore to write something convincing. I agree that Trek should be Sci-Fi first, but also I think Star Trek should be as it was in the 60's: human stories that just so happen to be taking place under extreme conditions and situations.

-K

9. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, I think we've seen what happens when talentless hacks mess with trek.

I agree, but that's any story ever told. It's a human adventure. But what I mean is that it should deal with serious scifi subjects in that context. That's what makes the old school stuff so interesting. A lot of stuff billed as scifi today is closer to action-adventure -- lotsa guns, lots of explosions, cgi, etc. The older stuff was about the mysteries of the universe.

-K

[/QUOTE]

10. Sec31Mike

Sec31Mike Commander Red Shirt

I would like to see Tom Clancy, or someone of that caliber to write Trek, I think it could be refreshing to have someone write Trek in a very heart pounding and dramatic way.

I would also like it if they would give Spielberg a crack at it, he does not make shit movies, and people respect his name and associate it with quality films.

11. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

David Fury... frelling genius