Who prefers Archer/T'Pol?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by Agenda, Jun 12, 2010.

1. AMQ

AMQ Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's not the age that bothered me, it's that I've always seen his character serious and could never imagine him putting his guard down as much as to be with someone from his crew, just couldn't. I think even with T'Pol it would be awkward, it would ruin their relationship. This way their frendship was so much more meaningful then any romantic relationship could've been. It's just my way of seeing the character. On contrary, In mirror darkly his character was completely different and I could see him there with Hoshi and liked it really (and could see him with T'Pol if that happened), because to me those two roles were completely different. Approach to the character was completely different.

2. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That may be true, but it's not the same as 'father/daughter relationship'. They never even remotely had that vibe as far as I could see.

Speaking seriously now - it seemed like a relationship of equals, of two adults. He often took her advice, though he would also act protective of her quite a few times - but not in a 'fatherly' way... maybe 'brotherly'. They acted like friends and colleagues who had some never developed sexual/romantic tension - you can't deny that it wasn't deliberately written into the show, even in late season 4 (in "Bound", the way the Orion girl talked about T'Pol and Archer).

And Archer never seemed to be much more mature and 'fatherly' than the rest of his crew, certainly far less so than Picard seemed next to his crew. Especially since Trip was his close friend.

3. AMQ

Yeah "Obviously I am not the only woman with power over you ". I liked that line. And when he told her in the 1st ot 2nd season that Vulcans took sth important from his father and he won't let them do the same to him - regarding Vulcans wanting to take T'Pol from Ent. You're right that there were some tensions, tender feelings... and I'll never forgive her for crying when she thought Archer died and didn't when Trip did die...
    But still, Trip and T'Pol - to me - had more chemistry maybe because he was so different, outgoing and opened that that had to force change in her and I liked that.

4. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Don't forget that the latter was just a 24th century holodeck simulation. The people who made it had no way of really knowing what T'Pol did or didn't do privately (it's unlikely to be in ship's logs). And they probably would expect a Vulcan not to cry.

5. AMQ

thank you:techman:
    I tend to forget that (and REALLY mustn't/shouldn't)
    OK, now when I believe she was weeping I feel so much better:lol:

6. Aquarius

Aquarius Commander Red Shirt

Hey, y'all. I've been MIA from this site for several weeks. I moved over the summer and didn't take any time off from work to do it...then no sooner did I bring my last box through the door, I was off to STLV...and then the unpacking and looking for a new job began...and before I knew it, it was time to go back to school!

Any way, the reason that I'm necromancing this thread is because of a new project I've been involved with the last couple of weeks, www.thedelphicexpanse.com. It's a 'shipper forum that's open to fans of *ALL* 'ships, het or slash--which means that we are trying to cultivate a particular kind of culture and have strict rules about keeping things flame-war and 'shipper-war free, which are explained here http://www.hostingphpbb.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=95&mforum=delphicexpanse--but we were looking around and realized Archer/T'Pol is severely underrepresented, and then I remembered about participating in this discussion here. In fact--I think this thread partly inspired the birth of the new place.

So, whatever 'ship you're into, as long as you're cool and you're okay with letting others celebrate something you may not necessarily be into, we'd love to have you come play in our sandbox!

I've got two papers due and one test within the next week and a half, but I hope to be back here on a semi-regular basis after that. I've missed chatting with you all!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2010
  7. jolene_b_fan

jolene_b_fan Lieutenant Red Shirt

archer tpol, great chemistry. just no romance and that is fine. tpol trip is great, nothing more needed.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2010
  8. star

star Vice Admiral Admiral

Darn tootin. We need some ardent A/T shippers to REPRESENT! :)

I promise, it's uber accepting and friendly and lots and lots of fun! :D :D :D

9. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

I do like your mission statement over there. Very IDIC. :techman:

10. Flibble

Flibble Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would have liked to have seen Archer/T'Pol. For a start, I think she had more in common with Archer and certainly a lot more respect for him. With Trip, sometimes I got the impression she was looking down her nose at him. JMHO.

11. Aquarius

Thank you, HR. Honeybee and I are TnT shippers at heart, but as we began talking behind the scenes--to each other as well as other TnT fans--we discovered that our reading habits are more fluid as long as the fanfic in question is well-written. We discovered that this attitude is actually quite common in the TnT fandom, but a loud and vocal minority had shifted the culture in some places toward being exclusionary, to the point of shaming others who'd say "Hey, I like this other thing, too". We just didn't feel comfortable in environments where if you love Trip, you have to hate Archer, or vice-versa. About this time we'd crossed paths with Mistress Euclid, who loves both Archer/T'Pol and Trip/T'Pol, and said "screw it, I'm putting them *all* together!" :guffaw:

On further talking to other TnT fans, we discovered that many were also open to reading slash, and some were even writing it, under other identities, and we thought to ourselves, what a shame that fans have to feel like they have to closet themselves in one pairing/genre because they don't want to feel alienated because of their participation in another pairing/genre.

So while on the one hand it may seem like we're reaching for something kind of utopian, we're not saying that everyone has to agree about everything...just that they have to be polite and functionally get along.

And Star is quite right--we'll only be three weeks old this coming Sunday, and already we've moved past a culture of mere tolerance, to one where everyone's reading each other's stuff and encouraging each other, whether it was our pairing/genre in the first place or not. And this is not to say the place is just for fic readers and writers--plenty of people who don't do fanfic still participate in the discussions, games, etc.

Any way, we would love to see Archer/T'Pol fans come and represent. :techman: Whether you write or not, it's cool.

12. Aquarius

A lot of TnT fans I know (myself included) dismiss anything and everything in TATV because to the holodeck nature/TNG intrusion.

Plus, I believe when she thought the captain died, she was still under the influence of Trellium (or at least very recently getting clean? I'm on cold tablets and can't remember!) so her emotional reactions are going to be much different at various points on the continuum of her addiction/recovery process. It's not going to be just one way all the time, and as any recovering addict will tell you, even the long-recovered often define things in terms of "good days" and "bad days." She may simply have been better able to control herself when Trip died...or maybe it was that much more of a shock to her that she *couldn't* cry right away. Any of these possibilities and the many more out there not yet mentioned certainly makes her much more than two-dimensional, and it doesn't necessarily mean that she felt more strongly about one or the other because of how she reacted.

13. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

Regarding "Azati Prime" and trellium...I think T'Pol's reaction to Archer going off on his suicide mission ("I don't want you to die") was poignant and revealing of her regard for him. By this time, they are trusted friends as well as colleagues, and the trellium has allowed T'Pol to access her emotions, so naturally they came spilling out at this very emotional moment. She even tries to pull back, with the Vulcanesque "It's not necessary." But we-- and Archer-- already know better.

When T'Pol weeps afterward, she is anguished at the thought of losing him. Who wouldn't be, in these circumstances? But she seems uncomfortable too-- she can't help the outpouring of emotion, because of the trellium. I really felt her vulnerability in that scene.

As for TATV...I did like the last scene between Archer and T'Pol. T'Pol making sure he looks his best-- sweet touch. They're comfortable around each other, enough that Archer hugs her, and T'Pol allows him to. They have come full circle, compared to their total lack of regard for each other in "Broken Bow."

14. I am Surak

I am Surak Captain Captain

Before I - Surak - travel to another forum may I ask if there is acceptance for may favorite combination: T'Pol and Soval?

15. Aquarius

Any
    pairing is cool. I don't think we have any T'Pol/Soval fans yet, so you'd probably be the first...but I'm sure people will be curious and want to know more. You'd probably want to post about this under "other het", and if a big enough following develops, we'll change the landscape to give that 'ship it's own area.

We'd only ever say no to something that was illegal, like stuff involving minors, incest, or beastiality.

16. star

I know Aquarius already answered (and she's the boss lady), but I want to reiterate, YES.

They even have a place for friendship pairings. Everyone is welcome! :D

17. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that "A Night In Sickbay" was cringy, and is always an episode I skip on the DVDs. I never saw anything between Archer and T'Pol, other than his abhorrence for Vulcans in the first series, and then a good working partnership there after.

Tucker and T'Pol I totally get! They're both incredibly hot and from the decon scene in "Broken Bow" you just knew they should hook up.

A pairing I would have enjoyed would have been Reed and Mayweather. It would have made Reed more interesting and given Mayweather something to do.

Just my thoughts,

-Bry

18. Aquarius

Got a question--and as a TnTer I don't know the answer. For the Archer/T'Pol fans here who enjoy reading fanfiction, I was wondering if there was a repository of stories about that 'ship anywhere besides the Warp 5 complex, and if there is, could you toss me a link?

Thanks.

19. star

I found The Logical Choice, but when I clicked on the fanfiction link they don't archive on site (sends you to ff.net and Warp 5 complex).

20. Aquarius

Hmmm...doesn't look like it's been updated in a while, either.