Who is your favorite character?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Spock ., Jan 30, 2020.

1. Spock .

Spock . Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

My favorite character is obviously Spock. His wry humor, quest for logic, and his commitment to his Vulcan heritage prove him to be the most human character of any in Star Trek. His enmity with Dr. McCoy covers a relationship with the doctor, and his professionalism with Captain Kirk aims for the same goal.

As Captain Kirk says,

"Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels his was the most...human."

Kilana2 likes this.
  2. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

KIRK

ALWAYS HAS, ALWAYS WILL BE.

Methuselah Flint and Spock . like this.
  3. MrPicard

MrPicard Jean-Luc's Loving Husband Fleet Captain

Scott. I love how he's always absolutely done with ANYTHING that puts his beloved engines at risk.

4. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Kirk, then Scott.

5. LAFR

LAFR Commander Red Shirt

Stewie Griffin. You were not specific about the show.

6. telerites

telerites Commander Red Shirt

Gangsta' Spock. I liked the comedic episodes. Nimoy nails this one and for me anyway, makes this episode my most rewatchable.

[​IMG]

Spock's Barber likes this.
  7. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The tribbles

8. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Hmmm...

Well, when I was a little kid Kirk was my hero. As I grew it became Spock. So I guess they're tied.

And of course Bones and Scotty have their moments, especially when Scotty is in command. Scotty doesn't take any BS from anyone

Spock's Barber and Phaser Two like this.
  9. Joanna McCoy-Kirk

Joanna McCoy-Kirk Commodore Commodore

James Tiberius Kirk.

10. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Any redshirt character that survives a whole episode without being disintegrated, conked on the head, pushed down a bottomless pit, blow up by an explosive rock, aged by cellular damage, struck by a lightning bolt, turned into a cube or transported into deep space. :whistle:

Nyotarules likes this.
  11. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then you like David Garrovick then my Lord! :techman:
    JB

12. Duncan MacLeod

Duncan MacLeod Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Kirk, then McCoy, then Scotty. I never really understood all the love for Spock, but to each his own.

13. C57D

C57D Guest

Why, the sympathetic, humanistic, down to earth curmudgeon McCoy, of course!

Spock's Barber and Qonundrum like this.
  14. Qonundrum

Qonundrum Vice Admiral Admiral

As a kid it was Scotty because he was a techie and Scottish, just like me. Sadly I was never allowed to wear a kilt... and with my legs nowadays I sure as hot haggis wouldn'a... that and DNA testing showed I'm actually got more Irish in me than Scottish but it's safe to say my family tree got around rather a lot more than I ever will, woot woot... :guffaw: anyway, what were we talking about... Kryten from Red Dwarf? "Ah yes, Jack Daniels brand coffee - the coffee with that smooth whiskey flavor that makes humans drunk and giddy yet reduces hangover symptoms at the same time!" :devil: Gotta start my Red Dwarf marathon again soon, but back to Star Trek:

As an adult, McCoy gets the trophy. Sardonic and sarcastic, there is a depth to his character that transcends that. He respects Spock far more than any jibes disrespect suggest and I get the impression he often says them as a form of shielding of his envy. Whether or not such nuance was intentional by the writers and creators I do not know, but he rarely came across as a stick figure.

He and Spock did often make for a wonderful double-act, especially when the human condition came into play.

Spock's Barber and C57D like this.
  15. Phaser Two

Phaser Two Commodore Premium Member

When I was a kid and first started watching it was Scotty, Spock, then Kirk in a relatively distant third.

As I've gotten older I have grown more and more to appreciate how Shatner utterly commanded the show. People say that about Nimoy and Spock, and of course Nimoy was absolutely wonderful, but when you consider Shatner's amazing charisma and very believable physicality (which Nimoy admitted he couldn't hope to compete with) and the well-emphasized fact (in many scripts) that Kirk was commanding a starship at a relatively young age because he was supposed to be a surpassing genius (which comes across all the better because it's typically shown, not told) . . . I'm almost sad to say it but I think Kirk has passed Spock now in my estimation. So it would be Scotty, Kirk, then Spock. Gosh, that makes me feel bad, like I'm betraying my childhood. Maybe it's Kirk and Spock in a tie for second.

Part of the issue I've started to recognize over the years is that Spock was inconsistently written. Witness the wildly different approaches to the character in Spock-in-Command Episodes. They are all over the place. By contrast, Kirk is consistently written throughout pretty much all of the series. And then of course you have S3 when Shatner and Nimoy weren't getting along or whatever the problem was, and the writers (intentionally or not) were constantly splitting them up, depriving the viewers of the awesome Kirk-Spock interaction. In my opinion, because the writers often couldn't figure out how to portray Spock in command, that separation diminished Spock, but it didn't diminish Kirk because he was more reliably depicted.

Of my top ten favorite episodes (DM, WIF, WOE, FC, UC, ROA, MM, OBS, TW, and DID), seven or eight involve Kirk and Spock working together to solve the problem for all or at least a substantial part of the episode (and almost all of them have heavy doses of Scotty). Always just on the outside of that personal list are COEOF and CHA, and of course City has the best Kirk-Spock scenes pretty much ever. CHA also features some marvelous Kirk-Spock interaction. At the end, it's Kirk, not Spock, who figures out how to destroy Nomad, but it's because Spock supplied him with the information needed to do it.

The challenge for the writers, not always met, was how to incorporate two incredibly strong and fantastically acted characters into the same script without diminishing either. But all in all they collectively had a better handle on Kirk. As the series portrayed it, Kirk isn't necessarily better with Spock on hand, but Spock is typically better with his good friend and captain nearby. This changed in the movies, and for the better.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Rainard Fox and Spock's Barber like this.
  16. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

Yes, even though his karate chop to Kirk’s neck didn’t have much effect on the Captain. :crazy:

johnnybear likes this.
  17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It rotates through Kirk, Spock and McCoy on a regular basis.

18. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

McCoy because he's sarky, loves medicine, and is emotional. Very much like me. *grin*

Spock is second. I can identify with his aloneness and I always envied his ability to control his emotions.

Kilana2 likes this.
  19. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Both Spock and McCoy, involved in their usual banter

Spock . and Spock's Barber like this.
  20. Mad Mike

Mad Mike Lieutenant Red Shirt

If I absolutely had to choose, I'd go with McCoy. He felt the most human to me. :)

Pauln6 likes this.