Who else here likes the Hirogen?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Ghost, Mar 19, 2017.

1. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    Speaking of distance and Voyager by the end of season 6 it's stated they reached the border of the BQ? Had they crossed from the DQ into the BQ by Season 7 I seem to remember that was implied.

2. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the second to last episode of season 7, they finally mention the Beta Quadrant, and they are not yet there. I think they've travelled about 35,000 LY by the end of the show.

3. Thomas Eugene

Thomas Eugene Commodore Commodore

The Hirogens are by far my favourite species in the entire Star Trek franchise. Closely followed by the Borg. I also like the Vidiians and the Cardassians. But I really liked the concept of the Hirogens the most and although I wish we'd seen more of them, I am glad they made the odd appearance after Season 4. There is something about their looks I really like, I couldn't pinpoint what it is but there's something really appealing about them. Just have a look:
    [​IMG]

4. Tracy Trek

Tracy Trek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't remember if I ever posted this before about the Hirogen. I don't think they ever showed a female Hirogen. So I'm thinking a very patriarchal society.

5. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Inspired by this thread, I watched the first half of "Flesh And Blood" last night. It's such an odd angle into that story, the way it twists it to paint the Hirogen as being in the wrong for getting themselves killed by the holodeck technology that Voyager gave them. I am ready to slap Janeway with a lawsuit for negligence -- you know the holograms regularly achieve sentience and try to kill people! That happens literally all the time! I kept imagining the civil court that would throw the book at Janeway and award the Hirogen a huge cash settlement.

Also reminds me of a favorite exchange from DS9:

WORF, reminiscing about the old days on the Enterprise: "We were like warriors from the ancient sagas. There was nothing we could not do."
    O'BRIEN: "Except keep the holodecks running right."

6. Refuge

Refuge Vice Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed seeing the Hirogens getting killed by the holodeck technology they once abused themselves. It seems rather fitting. Serves them right. They sought to train against a prey that made them the prey! Good job.

Might be hard to win this law suit though. I mean the best the Federation ever came up with was defining holograms as miners and artists. All the hand wring about calling them a 'person'... couldn't do that now. I keep thinking too how if you give a man a fish he will eat it. Teach him to fish etc. etc. Give the Hirogens a gun and they'll shoot themselves in the foot with it, lol.

7. Prax

Prax Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's that one line during their first appearance(hunters?) Where the huge Hirogen man is looking down at Seven.
    He's like "Mmmmm....long coiled intestines....Interesting trophy. I'll get all the ladies with this catch.." lol

I think Voyager did a good job sometimes of showing consequences later on, for prior decisions. Like "Hope & Fear" showing the consequences of Janeways decision to help the Borg. And this one.

Tracy Trek likes this.
  8. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

I too was a fan of the Hirogen. I kinda hoped for one more season of Voyager. They do the last episode, but the gate drops them off in the Beta Quadrant, in Hirogen space, but just a good bit outside of Klingon space with a distance to the Alpha Quadrant equal to the length of a season.

9. Voth commando1

I would love to see the hirogen meet Worf.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Where are teh Hirogen women. At home warming the eggs I guess?

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

You didn't know that they're indistinguishable from the men? Donik was totally a female.

(Don't fact check, don't fact check, don't fact check, don't fact check, don't fact check...)

Prax likes this.
  12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. I agree with you about putting the Viidians over the Kazons. The Kazons felt like low-rent Klingons to me, and they just seemed mostly outmatched by the Voyager crew. I thought the Viidians were more compelling and probably the creepiest villains in all of Trek. And also the Viidians weren't really villains so that made them even more interesting.

I also thought they humanized and neutered Species 8472. I also felt they dropped The Swarm unfortunately. They were a cool, tough, and mysterious species. I would've rather seen more of them than overdoing the Borg.

I also feel the Vaadwaur (great name) were also dropped. They were just created too late in the series I guess. I think more could've been done with the Voth too.

13. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When I saw the box cover for the VHS Voyager tape with the Swarm episode I thought that they would become the "big bad" for Voyager, just like the Borg were for the Next Generation, and the Dominion for Deep Space Nine. Boy, did that turn out rather different than I had hoped it would be, they were rather forgettable.
    As you said, they looked very interesting.

While the Voth are in general not likeable, they are not really that hostile either. They just seem to be rather xenophobic and they don't want anything to mess with their doctrine that governs their society.

14. Voth commando1

The Borg were stated to be from the DQ and as powerful as they were it made no sense from either a production or IU POV.

15. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I liked the make-up job.