Who agrees? Kirk's a womanizer!

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Panda<3, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah, then no. Interestingly enough, I can buy the Spanish edition, I can buy the Australian edition, but I can't buy the U.S. edition, even though I live in the U.S. and it's in a digital format and wouldn't require any extra effort to convert over.

Ye gods, I love bureaucracy. :lol:

So it is all about money. Just the money. THIS is why people pirate things. It's completely arbitrary! It's like saying "you two men will get the book for $5, but the woman will have to pay $7 for being female." I mean, it's just as arbitrary as that, particularly when the distribution method is digital! Sometimes I just want to punch copyright makers right in the wallet, but it wouldn't do any good.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Buy a divx player and you can play anything, here's one for 29.00:

http://www.oo.com.au/Akai-2-Channel...=ShopBot&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=ELADVD05

Or you can get them for even cheaper in Aldi at times. OR you can do like I do and accumulate dvd players from the op shop where they are about 5.00.

And then you buy your Star Trek from dvd.co.uk which is almost always dramatically cheaper than buying it in Aus. Here's season 2 for £19.79 which at just over 30.00 Australian is a great price (postage from that site is very inexpensive too).

OR you make Star Trek friends IRL and get them to loan you the dvd's.

All of which I say because Mirror Mirror is a great ep, would definitely be my top 10 TOS episodes and my favorite MU ep. It's got everything.. drama, philosophy, shock, hotness.. it's a stand out IMHO. And classic TOS in every way.

3. Amaris

Still, it's a shame he has to do that, when all I have to do is press "Play" on my Roku box or computer and watch any episode of Star Trek that I want. That's why the distribution method we use right now is awful for anyone outside the continental U.S.

4. teacake

Why does anyone buy dvd sets in the US?

5. Amaris

I buy the DVDs for archival purposes, but there are so many options in the U.S., I could buy digital movies from Amazon.com and access them anywhere there's a computer with an internet connection, I can buy the DVD, the blu-ray, rent movies through Amazon, buy subscriptions to movies and TV shows through Netflix, walk down to the store and rent a new release DVD/Blu-ray/video game from Redbox for a night (and reserve it in advance if I like), and my town's out in the middle of nowhere, just think how easy it is in a large city!

6. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    Or, in Korea, I might want 'Monarch of the Glen' a BBC series which isn't available for sale here at this time. I can catch the last couple of seasons on BBC International, but region nonsense means I can't buy and play it here through legal means.

7. DAYoung

DAYoung Commander Red Shirt

8. DAYoung

Whoah. That is cheap. My local Coles supermarket has DVD players, but not quite that cheap.

Double WHOAH. That's very cheap. I'm also after DS9, seasons 6 and 7 (not on iTunes). That's even cheaper...

In real... what?

I'm actually reading the omnibus of Mirror episodes, Glass Empires, and it's really whetting my appetite for the original TOS episode. Well, that, and Barbara Luna.

9. teacake

Divx players are MUCH cheaper than dvd players. Why I don't know. Maybe they are just designed to be cheap and not full of promises about being fabulous. The prices at dvd.co.uk fluctuate but Trek is incredibly cheap atm. I have bought several seasons of Dr. Who there which were easily 1/4 of the price at JBHiFi. I've bought all my TOS and TAS there. Excellent company.

Your other option is to give someone who owns the Trek you want a USB so the can put the eps on it, assuming they can rip them to their computer. That may be crossing a copyright boundary for you though.

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Futuristic adaptable condoms, made of the same stuff Batman's cape is, and equipped with microcircuit AI. Can survive the heat of a Horta, the teeth of a Gorn and the pressure of a dark matter nebula. He never leaves the ship without 'em!

11. DAYoung

Very helpful. Thank you.

12. teacake

We expect your Mirror Mirror report within the next fortnight.

13. DAYoung

NO NOT MORE DEADLINES MAKE IT STOP.

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Home DVD Players here can be really cheap nowadays.

Walmart has them for $19.99 American Dollars right now (They don't have a VHS, and don't do anything but play DVDs, but, still, that's awfully cheap).

15. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I gotta admit I thought of this thread when I rewatched "Requiem for Methuselah" last night. Poor Spock spends most of the ep suggesting "respectfully" that Kirk concentrate less on the blonde cutie--and more on saving the ship!

16. Miss Lemon

Miss Lemon Commodore Commodore

There you have it: this whole womanizing business is just an act to make Spock jealous. ;)

17. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

It all makes sense now . . . . :)

18. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Um, didn't have to, since we were talking about Kirk, kissing women, you know, how your family kisses each other, obviously...

What a stupid comment you made.

19. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    His hormones did get out of control every once in a while, but womanizer? No.

He'd have to insult (us) women in order to be a real womanizer. And he didn't do that.

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

For me it's a question of shear volume. A true player has "womanizing" on the front burner at all times, all other consideration come in second. For Kirk, getting tail just plain isn't job one.

Kirk: "so Miri, just how old are you really? Not that it matters Honey."

:)