Whither Star Trek: The Experience? Update

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Biggshow, Apr 12, 2008.

1. Dr_Daystrom

Dr_Daystrom Commander

2. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

3. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

I just sent my e-mail to the people listed. I hope it does some good.

4. erastus25

Or if they ever actually release the schedule.

5. Dr_Daystrom

Dr_Daystrom Commander

I read somewhere on the Internet that it's scheduled for New York, Chicago, etc.

6. erastus25

Correct - it's been announced as heading for many US and Canadian cities, but they've been dragging their feet on releasing any schedule of when it will actually be in those cities.

7. Crazy_Uncle

Crazy_Uncle Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek: The Tour is in Long Beach??? URGGHHHHH !!!! I was just in Long Beach for a human resource student conference and I could have gone, but I didn't even know it was there.

Getting back on topic, I was just at the experience late last month and loved every minute of it. It's the only reason my wife and I got off the strip, other than going to the Fremont Street light show. I wouldn't go off the strip again if they take it down. Should be interesting to see what happens.

8. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

ST: The Tour left Long Beach at the end of February. I'm not sure where it is now, but it hasn't been in Long Beach for a while now...

9. Biggshow

Biggshow Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There is actually no useful information about the Tour's whereabouts. Based on attendance reports (anecdotal though they may be), I'm guessing the thing has closed up shop, at least until more backers or suitable location can be found.

Frankly, the overall experience of...er...The Experience blows it away. Of course, I'm admittedly biased.:)

It was fun to walk the D's corridors and look in on sickbay and the crew quarters and the sheer amount of stuff was pretty cool but it was not presented well, IMHO.

If it ever does make it out of mothballs again, it's worth the price for Trekkers, especially if you can get half-priced tickets like I did.

10. erastus25

I seriously doubt they're shutting it down after they spent all the time developing it, and also announcing a schedule. Although, if attendance was really really bad I guess they might. Anyone have any deflinitive news on how well it did?

11. Biggshow

Still no news on how well the Tour did.

The is a confirming report of The Experience's doubtful future at Trekmovie.com. The difference is that, in their report, it's CBS wanting to close the place. That may in truth be correct as well. One of the problems with The Experience from the outset is that there have always been too many chiefs, etc.

Anyway, I was there again today and the place seemed to be jumping. Have I mentioned the Star Trek themed slot machines (only two so far) near the main entrance. Penny slots, so it's just stupid dumb time and money wasting fun at this point. I did throw anther ten bucks into them, though. Watch out for the big spender.:cool:

I'll miss the big Dayton Ward/Kevin Dilmore appearance there next week. Waah!

12. Wonderlust King

Wonderlust King Captain Captain

I have always wondered, does Quarks bar at that place have an actual version of dabo for you to play?

13. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the contact details, I'll be dropping them a couple of polite letters.

14. Biggshow

No dabo. Apparently Rick Berman didn't want actual gambling taking place in The Experience.

I know...

15. Wonderlust King

Wonderlust King Captain Captain

Whats the point of it even being in vegas then? Ceder Enterprises should just move it to one of their parks or maybe have it in its own building somewhere like New York, or possibly Pittsburgh ;)

16. Atariboy

Atariboy Commander Red Shirt

At the very least, Quark's should have regular bar hours. Closing at 9 or whatever is insane.

You don't have to have characters walking around all night or even keep the kitchen open, but there's no reason to deprive patrons of that Warp Core Breach nightcap!

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ultimately that would not have been for him to say, since he was a studio employee with no ownership interest whatever in the Franchise. If Paramount and the hotel had wanted gambling, there would have been gambling.

18. Biggshow

Right but Berman was ST high mucky-muck at the time and apparently had a great deal to say regarding what was OK and what was not at the time.

Also, I just posted this over in the Internal Hails thread. Keep in mind that even though I worked there, this is a person I've never met (that I remember anyway. Thank you Warp Core Breach).

Huh. I just got a very nice complimentary phone call from Chad Boutte at The Experience in response to an e-mail I sent. He, at least, appreciates everyone's efforts on keeping the place open.

Keep those cards and letters (and phone calls and e-mails) coming.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Subject to immediate overruling by the folks he worked for, if they so chose - something that happened on many occasions. If there was no gambling at the Experience it was because the people who actually controlled both the "Star Trek" Franchise and the Experience didn't want it.

20. Biggshow

Without argiung this thing to death, I'm just saying that was the reason given to us when we asked since it seemed like such a given. However, you may be correct and Paramount Parks may have taken a page from the Disney resorts and didn't want gambling on the premises. Since neither of us was actually in the room when the decision was made, let's just agree to disagree.

Friends?