Which version of TOS is canon??

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Lt. Tyler, Dec 6, 2020.

1. yotsuya

yotsuya Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I beg to differ. While we as the audience got to see the trial, with Mendez being an illusion, nothing that happened was valid. He was cleared of any wrong doing by Starfleet so it would not go on the records and because of that, Spock's later comment is absolutely correct.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Nope. They decided to not press charges. He still committed the crimes.

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Last 50? No chance. TOS Klingons were completely different to TNG/DS9 ones. Moreso than the Discovery ones to the TNG/DS9 ones, IMHO.

fireproof78 likes this.
  4. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think he may have meant that the Klingons have always been depicted as a monoculture, even if the monoculture changed. This is the case with most Trek species, though.

Kor

5. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. All the non human species seem to be depicted as monolithic. Food, art, design, language... Only humans seem to retain cultural diversity.

6. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Spock's Defense:
    SPOCK: I was under the influence of the evil Talosians. I plead temporary insanity. :vulcan:
    SPOCK: I was under the influence of the evil Spores. I plead temporary insanity. :vulcan:
    SPOCK: I was under the influence of the evil Pon Farr. I plead temporary insanity. :vulcan:

After which, Starfleet promotes Spock to Commander. :rommie:

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Dude lived a charmed life. When Daddy is the Vulcan Ambassador you can get away with, well anything.

Henoch likes this.
  8. yotsuya

Yes. It was depicted as a monoculture in all the previous Treks. I would argue it was in Discovery as well, but so alien from anything seen before that it would have to be some sub-culture that was not active at any other time. But also, Disovery the Klingons were supposed to have been out of touch where in TOS there had been unremitting hostility for most of a century before. And the stupid four nostrils. I just can't let that one go. And Enterprise and DS9 made clear that the TOS more human looking Klingons were the same and Discovery does nothing with that. Sure we see a conversion like our Klingon spy in Tribbles, but were are the others. Previous Trek embraced TOS's visual differences and wrote it in to the story and lore and Discvery threw all that out. And they did provide a reason why the Klingons were monocultural. Conquest. The followers of Kahless had conquered Q'onos. Just like they continued to conquer the worlds of the Klingon Empire and tried to carry that over into Federation space, sparking many conflicts. I consider the Klingons, in terms of visuals, culture, history, and just about everything, to be a break with previous canon Klingons. The season 1 Klingons were so badly received that they redid them for season 2, creating a continuity issue within Discovery itself.

9. yotsuya

None of which went on the record. Spock was always very precise and could honestly say there was no record of a mutiny. Discovery didn't do that. They made it very public and had her in prison for mutiny. See the difference?

10. yotsuya

This sums up my feelings exactly.

11. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

The technician whom he fought with and ultimately neck pinched, and just left on the floor of the computer center, would disagree with you.

Also, Captain Pike was beeping nose so often he was in a real state of agitation, and at that time was totally against what Spock was planning; so spark effectively kidnapped a disabled Starfleet Fleet Captain against his will.
    ^^^
    So technically while it's not physically violent, it's definitely a mentally violent act in that Captain Pike did not want to go with Spock to Talos IV.

And it's only due to the decision of Commodore Mendez that neither Spock nor Kirk had to submit to a court-martial proceeding after the incident; but Spock did comment grievous offenses against the Federation and Starfleet itself; and also freely admitted his guilt directly to Dr. McCoy and anyone else within earshot on the bridge of the 1701 as Spock gave his confession. Thus there was no doubt as to his guilt in these actions.

12. Henoch

Henoch Glowing Globe Premium Member

Yet, are there no consequences, either? Possibly, it may have delayed his official promotion to Full Commander another year. :vulcan:

13. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen even a full episode of DSC, so I cannot say this definitively, but I got the impression that the DSC Klingons weren't actually Klingons, and were more likely the Hur'q. Feel free to chastise me for this at your discretion.

14. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or, its two ways of telling stories in this world. The rest is minutia. How much the minutia will vary.

15. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

They weren't Klingons in the same way that the Klingons shown on the K'Tanga D-7 ships at the start of Star Trek: The Motion Picture weren't Klingons in 1979.

In other words: Yes the Klingon shown on Star Trek Discovery were Klingons.

fireproof78 likes this.
  16. Nerys Myk

What were the Hur'q like? I always draw a blank when the name comes up.
    DISCO's Klingons seem Klingon enough to me. Houses feuding. Blathering about Honor. Strange affinity for bladed weapons.

fireproof78 likes this.
  17. Tim Thomason

Tim Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The show literally opens up with them talking in Klingon about how they must always remain Klingon. And then, when they finally show Starfleet confront them, they're all like "OMG, look guys, it's the Klingons!"

I have a suspicion they might be Klingons.

Trek Survivor and Nerys Myk like this.
  18. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

DS9 mentioned the Hur'q in the "Sword of Kahless" episode. Almost nothing is known about them except that they invaded and pillaged the Klingon home world centuries ago and then left. We don't even know if they were a bipedal, vaguely humanoid species or not. I think tie-in stuff like books and games may have assumed that they weren't, but I'm not clear on the details.

Kor

19. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It should be noted that, in the real world, mutiny requires at least two people for it to occur (emphasis added.) The only individual charge come from a failure to report:
    UCMJ Art. 94. (§ 894.) 2004 Mutiny or Sedition.
    (a) Any person subject to this code (chapter) who—
    (1) with intent to usurp or override lawful military authority, refuses, in concert with any other person, to obey orders or otherwise do his duty or creates any violence or disturbance is guilty of mutiny;
    (2) with intent to cause the overthrow or destruction of lawful civil authority, creates, in concert with any other person, revolt, violence, or other disturbance against that authority is guilty of sedition;
    (3) fails to do his utmost to prevent and suppress a mutiny or sedition being committed in his presence, or fails to take all reasonable means to inform his superior commissioned officer or commanding officer of a mutiny or sedition which he knows or has reason to believe is taking place, is guilty of a failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition.
    (b) A person who is found guilty of attempted mutiny, mutiny, sedition, or failure to suppress or report a mutiny or sedition shall be punished by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct.​

yotsuya likes this.
  20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I agree with you that my perception is that a mutiny would involve more than one person.
    I'm thinking of the occasions where the Enterprise has been taken over.
    Dr Severin, Dr Korby, Mudds Robots and Deela's people and the Andromedians wouldn't count as a mutiny as they were enemy attacks.
    However when Dr McCoy sent up the plants and Riley took over the engine room I think would be regarded as mutiny if they were in their 'right' minds.
    I think Spock's mutiny at Talos while technically not a mutiny because he didn't encouraged any others to disobey Kirk ( in fact encouraged loyalty to Kirk) would be a moral mutiny in my eyes because Spock caused the computers aboard ship to disobey Kirk.
    The closest thing to an actual mutiny would be Turnabout Intruder at the end when Chekov and Sulu and the others refused to operate the ship and obey orders. Although Scott and McCoy said they might mutiny, I don't think there actions would be considered a mutiny as Lester caught them before they could do anything.

BK613 likes this.