Which Original Series Episodes Had the Most & Fewest Mistakes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Samuel, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Commander Luskeen

Commander Luskeen Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So it's only OK for people to yell or be rude to me But I'm not allowed to say anything back eh?

2. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Luskeen, I run the place. You need to drop the attitude or your tenure here will be short.

IF someone is rude to you, LET THE MOD HANDLE IT. The other poster will get in trouble, not you.

3. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

AND THEY JUST EXPERIENCED IT CHOPPING UP THEIR SHIP.

I think getting the crew off the ship wasn't a optional matter, life support for hundreds of people or some other immediate reason. Decker sent them to the planet because he had to send them somewhere.

Life boats might have been an option if the ship had them, but we don't know if it did have them.

4. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I just never bought Decker's explanation. Because they know what this thing does to planets, given all the destroyed solar systems, so why would beaming down even be an option? "He was about to be hit by a truck so I had to throw him into the vat of acid," is basically what he's saying.

5. Tenacity

we don't know what decker knew. he saw it destroying a single planet. which doesn't mean it would do the same elsewhere. beaming down the crew would be a risk. but was there any other options. suffocate on the ship. maybe. i do think decker had no choice but to get the crew off.

Samuel likes this.
  6. Maurice

It's the writer's job to sell us on these things. Spinrad never sold me on this. YMMV.

7. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

People seem to be under the impression that Constellation was simply floating dead in space and that was the reason Decker chose to beam his crew down to one of the planets.

But Decker's dialogue is that "It hit again and the transporter went out".

So Constellation was still under CONTINOUS attack from the Planet Killer when Decker chose to evacuate the crew. For all Decker knew, staying on the Constellation was certain death anyway.

I would say that the Planet Killer continued to fire on Constellation until the ship drifted far enough away from it for the devices computerized brain to ignore it. Spock said earlier when Enterprise outran the Doomsday Machine and it veered away from them that "Obviously designed to ignore something as small as a ship outside a certain radius".

8. Maurice

If so, again, we have to infer this instead of it being made clear. This is a fault of the script. Done properly it could have served as a setup for something.

9. Tenacity

Decker stated that he HAD to beam the crew down, there's no "we have to infer" involved.

Phaser Two and Samuel like this.
  10. Maurice

Again, "out of traffic into acid". We disagree.

11. Samuel

Don't know what you are talking about. To me as said the dialogue is pretty clear that Constellation was still being fired upon by the Planet Killer when Decker chose to beam the crew planetside.

The bigger mystery would be how Constellation's transporter kept working despite the ship being hit with its shields down when a single shot by the Planet Killer took out Enterprise's transporter for some time and even once it was repaired was still "iffy" at best despite Scotty's efforts.

12. Maurice

For the last time: Decker and crew know what this thing does to planets, given all the destroyed solar systems. The ship's going to be blown up, so you beam down to the other thing the device has repeatedly demonstrates it blows up? Hence my "He was about to be hit by a truck so I had to throw him into the vat of acid," cause they're gonna die either way.

13. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Constellation was being blasted by the Planet Killer and Decker beamed his entire crew down to the most habitable planet of the system! But he was unaware that it would then devour that particular world and had no way to prevent it or rescue his people! And like what has been said earlier on in the thread, maybe the Berserker was veering off and heading out of the system but then changed it's 'mind' and returned for refuelling?
    JB

14. Samuel

Indeed. Remember that two of the planets in the solar system where Constellation was found were intact but they couldn't support life. So for whatever reasons as johnnybear said, the Planet Killer did halt its demolition of the planets.

15. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it would have worked so much better, if the reveal to Decker that the machine was a planet-killer and ate planets was actually that it ate the planet he'd beamed his crew down to.

To fully excise this problem, you have to change a little bit about how the Constellation first came upon the machine. The Enterprise has discovered a series of destroyed solar systems, the trail left in the wake of the machine. Since the machine is present in the galaxy, that trail has to be there. Even if the machine doesn't originate from outside the galaxy (and it's fine and interesting that it does come from outside), the premise that it was let loose during a war and wiped out the builders more or less requires that trail to be there, because it makes the most sense for that war to be an interstellar one.

In the episode as it stands, the Constellation follows the trail of destroyed solar systems to where the machine is breaking up the fourth planet of the system where the Enterprise and Constellation meet. But if that's why the Constellation is there in the first place, then even if they don't observe the machine hovering over the planet slicing out chunks of it with an absolutely pure antiproton beam, they still know that some anomaly is destroying whole solar systems. So, if they encounter this large, weird machine, they should immediately suspect that they are in the midst of events that are related to that destruction, even if they don't know what is responsible, and so they should doubt that it's safe to beam down to the third planet.

So, the way to fix that is to have the Constellation enter system L-374 for routine charting and exploration completely unaware that it is at the end of a trail of destroyed solar systems. [ed - Maybe they are on yellow alert due to the unknown subspace interference.] The machine attacks them, they fight a pitched battle, but the machine disables the ship and all shuttlecraft. As the only option for survival, Decker beams the crew down to the third planet as before, but then the true purpose of the machine as a planet-killer is revealed. It eats the third planet and Decker has his white whale.

The Enterprise on the other hand follows the trail of destroyed solar systems as before. When Kirk is attempting to console Decker, instead of telling Decker that he made an error in judgment, Kirk can tell him that because of the direction that the Constellation approached the solar system, they had not seen the destruction, and they had no reason to suspect that the machine could destroy planets.

:shrug:

Last edited: May 26, 2018
    Poltargyst likes this.
  16. johnnybear

Wonder who would win a fight, the Doomsday Machine or the Immunity Syndrome virus? :wtf:
    JB

17. Maurice

Virus? You mean space amoeba. :)

BillJ likes this.
  18. johnnybear

Well Kirk did say it was like a virus invading our galaxy didn't he and that after it absorbed them that they were like a germ inside it's own body as well!
    JB

19. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

No matter where the crew ended up, I was always surprised that there were no bodies on the Constellation, surely someone must have been killed with the amount of damage the ship was taking.

Samuel likes this.
  20. Samuel

We didn't see much of the ship. Basically engineering, auxiliary control, and a corridor.