Which Original Series Episodes Had the Most & Fewest Mistakes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Samuel, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Kor

Kor Admiral Admiral

Judging by dialog in the episode as well as Kirk and Spock's reactions on their initial encounter, they expected the commander to be a man. In 1960s television, seduction wouldn't have been in the plans at all in that case. It was a tactic that happened on the fly.

Kor

Thowra and Samuel like this.
  2. Samuel

Samuel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It should be noted that the Constellation bridge was uninhabitable due to damage. Which means its entirely possible that Captain Decker was the only one to escape its destruction. This means that Decker was making decisions without the input of several of his senior officers.

I'm curious as to what shocked Decker more. The initial destruction of Constellation or the subsequent death of his crew?

By the way IIRC there is a fan short story somewhere that had some members of the Constellation crew escaping in shuttles which seems pretty reasonable as from what I remember about the views of the rear portion of the ship the shuttle looks intact.

3. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if The Enterprise had encountered a Romulan ship when it crossed The Neutral Zone in Way To Eden would it have been a Klingon D-7 or a Bird of Prey?
    JB

4. Samuel

Good question. Given that was Season 3 (wasn't it?) I would figure the odds were of a Klingon D-7.
    But.
    Given what we saw in "The Deadly Years" and "The Enterprise Incident" it is possible that the older Bird of Preys were used to patrol the Neutral Zone while the more powerful D-7s were held back in Romulan space. This makes sense as the far higher speeds obtainable by the D-7s meant they could respond to an enemy incursion better from deeper in the Empire.

5. johnnybear

It might well depend on which episode was produced first, so that would be The Enterprise Incident and that means Klingon ships in The Way to Eden and yes it was the third season, Sam!
    JB

Samuel likes this.
  6. Samuel

Of course as I said in "The Deadly Years" the Romulan Birds of Prey where encountered in the Neutral Zone while in "The Enterprise Incident" the D-7s were only encountered after Enterprise left the Neutral Zone and entered Romulan space.

7. johnnybear

The Neutral Zone is an area of space that neither side is allowed to enter as stated by treaty! We don't see any Birds of Prey or D-7s until The Enterprise actually leaves the area and enters Romulan space!
    JB

8. Samuel

In "The Deadly Years" the Enterprise was attacked by Romulan Birds of Prey almost as soon as it crossed into the Neutral Zone.

9. johnnybear

Was it? I thought they were well across the Neutral Zone before that happened, Sam! But you could be right...
    JB

10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I forgot the Romulans were in Klingon ships. Perhaps that might explain how easy the Cloaking device moved between ships. And maybe why the Romulans forgot to shield.

Samuel likes this.
  11. Samuel

IIRC Sulu reported to Commodore Stocker that "we're entering the Neutral Zone sir".

Stocker turned to Uhura and asked her to keep trying to contact the Romulans.

BOOM!!!

Uhura "I think we just made contact sir"

12. johnnybear

Uhmmmm! An error in script writing? Or over anxious Romulan Birds of Prey?
    JB

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, breaching the Zone is a treaty violation, so that gives them the excuse to attack.

Samuel likes this.
  14. Samuel

Kind of like the Demilitarized Zone on the Korean Peninsula. Which is probably the inspiration for the Romulan Neutral Zone. Entry into the DMZ especially by armed forces is consider justification for a military response.

Further I would suggest that the name "Romulan NEUTRAL Zone" strongly suggests that entry by either sides military forces (which would be especially true of a major fleet unit like the Enterprise) would be pretty much "open season" in regards for attacking.

15. Commander Luskeen

Commander Luskeen Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

The Doomsday machine was about to destroy the Constellation. Its phasers were gone. Probably shields too

16. Commander Luskeen

The Enemy Within. How can the transporter create 2 Kirks out of one?

17. Maurice

Maurice Vice Admiral Premium Member

THEY JUST SAW IT CHOPPING UP A PLANET!!!

18. johnnybear

Well then in The Deadly Years, the Romulan ships shouldn't have been inside the Neutral Zone themselves either! :shifty:
    JB

19. Commander Luskeen

are you off your meds?

20. 1001001

1001001 Boorish Jackass Moderator

Second time. Knock it off.