Poll Which era of Star Trek would you rather see continue?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Saul, Aug 26, 2021.

?

Which era of Star Trek would you rather see continue?

1. Star Trek 1966 to 2005

43 vote(s)
    70.5%
  2. Star Trek 2009 to current

18 vote(s)
    29.5%
  1. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes, I'll be watching it when I feel like watching and when I want to watch it as opposed to "I have to watch it!" or "I'm watching it just to watch it!", which will put me into the wrong mindset.

Plus, how can I tell people to stop watching DSC and PIC if they're not enjoying it, if I'm not going to do the same thing when the situation applies to me? I'm not going to ask someone to do something that I wouldn't do myself.

2. TIM Thomason

TIM Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. Some people need to be reminded of that, either by a smack to the head or a kick in the gut. Thanks for getting that, fp.

Wednesday Addams likes this.
  3. Hades Temperature Checker

Hades Temperature Checker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Please note: fireproof does not endorse violence of any guide to communicate. Smacks to the head are only allowed under the Gibbs provision.

4. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Vice Admiral Admiral

When I re-watched VOY in 2008 (and, actually, the sixth and seventh seasons for the first time), I binged it during Christmas Week that year.

When I watched ENT in 2010, same situation. I binged most of it during Christmas Week. I only absorbed some of it and forgot most of it. 2010 was a pretty stressful year for me. Then I gave it a re-watch in 2020 and, once again, burned through it in a week. And remembered a lot more that second time.

And when I did those binges with VOY and ENT, I went into them with an open mind. I thought to myself, "Okay, this isn't really my style, but let's see what I can still like even while I keep that in mind." In the process, I found quite a few episodes that I thought were good. I feel secure enough in my Trek-leanings that I can say if a series that's not my favorite had a good episode. I don't think a lot of people here have the ability to do that, from what I've seen.

With the way I watched them, I was able to do it very quickly because all the episodes were already out. It didn't drag out over a period of years. And these other fans, who don't do things the way I do them, they're dragging things out for themselves over a period of years. There's no other way for me to say than to say it: I think that's stupid. I have no idea why someone would want to waste their time like that. I never got it, still don't get it, and never will.

I'll give everyone a sound-bite if that's what they're looking for: I think hate-watching is fucking dumb. You can quote me on that.

With Lower Decks, I'll probably just watch an entire season in like five hours or less on a day where I'm in the mood for it, after the season's done. I have to be in the mood to watch something like that because otherwise I'm just not going to enjoy it the way I know it's intended to be enjoyed. I don't think the show is funny (which isn't the same as saying "I think it sucks!" or "I don't think it's any good!"). It can be mildly amusing, but it's not a laugh a minute.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
    Qonundrum and Wednesday Addams like this.
  5. TIM Thomason

TIM Thomason Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not going to quote you on that. I believe you.

I misunderestimated my tone earlier today, and didn't think we were talking about the hate-watchers, but thought you were talking about me those weeks ago..

I'm a completionist who wants to know everything that goes on in this world, and the different tones and styles (and especially the prequels!) just make it seem more "real", for a fantasy universe that is.

Wednesday Addams likes this.
  6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

With the current rate of Trekkake, it's only a matter of time before they make a show I've no interest in. Like Marvel, I loved Jessica Jones and The Punisher, enjoyed Agents if SHIELD, but life was too short to watch Daredevil, Luke Cage, Runaways and the rest. I watched one or two episodes and didn't look back.

Maybe it'll be Prodigy? I won't be able to see it for months after the US anyway. The trailers are pretty but very generic... I don't much care. Saying that, when it finally materialises it could be the best thing ever. We'll see.