Poll Which Enterprise do you think we'll see?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Picard' started by Lord Garth, Feb 29, 2020.

?

Which Enterprise do you think we'll see?

1. Enterprise-D (Rebuilt)

6 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Enterprise-E

72 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. Enterprise-F

30 vote(s)
    18.1%
  4. Another Enterprise

10 vote(s)
    6.0%
  5. None of the Enterprises!

25 vote(s)
    15.1%
  6. We'll see Voyager instead!

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  7. We'll see the Titan instead!

7 vote(s)
    4.2%
  8. We'll see a Galaxy Class Starship that's not the Enterprise

16 vote(s)
    9.6%
  9. None of the Above!!!

21 vote(s)
    12.7%
  10. I like vanilla cake with chocolate frosting and buttercream!

30 vote(s)
    18.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MrPointy

MrPointy Captain Captain

We'll see the Enterprise-G. It'll be a Miranda class.

2. NCC-73515

NCC-73515 Vice Admiral Admiral

A Sovereign refit can be sharp, inspiring, and profitable. If it looks cool and sleek and whatever people's tastes are XD

3. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

His Federation ships are monotone, dull and generic, lacking any sort of elegance or class. Worst of all though, they share no common design language at all. Looks at all the different looks and placements of the ships' registry numbers for example, or the various (ugly) nacelle designs etc. All totally different. The beauty of TOS/TNG/DS9/VOY era designs were that you knew every Federation ship was created using the same design document, they all shared a common design. The below are just a total mess.

[​IMG]

His latest alien ship is the definition of generic..

[​IMG]

And even when his alien ships might look a bit more unique, they're still a what-were-you-thinking design...

[​IMG]

Maybe someone could buy him some coloured pens, and tell him that there are more shades in the world than just dark metallic grey and gold.

When you throw in the "nice from about 2 angles and that's it" USS Discovery, adding pointless cut-outs to the Enterprise and things like La Sirena and Seven's ship... and yeah, I don't see how people can like his work next to actual beauties like the Constitution, Excelsior, Akira, Miranda, Constellation, Galaxy... hell even the Daedalus is better looking than his dark metallic grey, over-designed rubbish.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only ship in those 4 he had any input on was the Charon. He only designed Starfleet ships in DSC, and even then not all of them. The Hoover class was someone else, I forget who. All the Klingon ships were someone else as well.

Nothing generic about it. I've never seen anything like that before.

Again, how the heck are they generic? I have not seen designs like those anywhere else. I think you really need to look up the definition of the word.

They all have saucers and nacelles, that's a common design language if I ever saw one.

What do you mean cutouts?

Noah_23 and NCC-73515 like this.
  5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

The DSC Klingon ships were designed by Mark Worthington studios, and concept art of the sarophagus ship was signed by someone named Samuel Michael. I remember when the concept art first came out, the internet rage was so high that people tried to justify what they were seeing as being influenced by the Hur'q, when such silliness like that was never the intent.

As for the Starfleet ships, I believe all of them were designed by Eaves, with the exception of the Discovery itself (based on the Planet of the Titans Enterprise, but Eaves probably modified the design further to what we got), the Hiawatha, and the Section 31 ships (the latter two designed by Ryan Dening.) If I'm wrong about Eaves designing all of the individual Starfleet vessels, someone can correct me.

As for the Starfleet ships themselves, I actually think this is a case of Eaves working out of the box for a change. I actually like that they seem to represent different eras between ENT and TOS, although absolutely none of them share any design elements with the one ship they should have, the TOS Constitution class. And of course the angular boxy nacelles look out of place for ships ten years before TOS (Eaves stated that he originally had round nacelles but was forced to change them by Fuller, which I don't quite believe since he used that excuse before with the ENT Romulan BoP nacelles, and I haven't seen any ships with round nacelles in any of his concept art for the DSC ships.) And there are some ships, like the Cardenas class, that look like they would fit in fine in the fleet at the start of Star Trek: First Contact.

As for the Romulan ships seen so far in PIC, the transport seems to be a progression from his Valdore from Nemesis. Those scout ships however remind me more of ships-of-the-week we saw in Voyager than anything identifiably Romulan. Looks like we'll be seeing another Romulan ship next episode, a larger version of the transport with a bigger wingspan (why do spaceships need a wingspan, again, unless they can land?)

dantini and saddestmoon like this.
  6. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are some pieces of concept art of the Discovery with round nacelles. I posted it months ago in the DSC subforum.

https://imgur.com/a/7okftjY

I imagine since the Discovery was the hero ship, it was the first thing he worked on, so he would have been told not to use round nacelles before he got to do the other ships, so those designs wouldn't have any concepts with round nacelles.

I mean, it all started with the Romulan BoP, which as far as we know can't land.

7. Jedi Marso

Jedi Marso Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If they'd get off the kick of destroying the Enterprise for cheap dramatic effect every third movie or so, realistically, the Enterprise-E should still be around and serving, albeit as an older ship by now.

If they want a new look, give us a 'refit' Enterprise-E that still sells as a newer-upgrade Sovereign class starship.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because it looks cool. :shrug:

Nerys Myk and ITDUDE like this.
  9. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope it’s the E and not the F. Enterprise-E is easier to say than Enterprise-F. At least it is for me.

10. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, I’d really like to see an updated Galaxy Class vessel honoring the effect of the original, not changing it so much. I’d like to see one with sharper edges and more organic curves. I see a wider saucer, taller neck, more elaborate hydra-like pylons...a tall, sophisticated, otherworldly ship of the future, from the “technology unchained” school of thought of the original.

11. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Admiral Admiral

I think we're going to see the Enterprise-F. But not in the capacity people think. I think Starfleet will be asking Picard to come back once he's proven right (have to give @KennyB credit for this idea). And they'll dangle the Enterprise-F in front of him as bait. A brand-new ship of the line. And he'll turn it down instantly. Because him and Starfleet are never going to see eye-to-eye ever again.

SolarisOne and Tuskin38 like this.
  12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Clancy got special dispensation from Starfleet to name the new ship the Enterprise F-bomb.

SolarisOne, KennyB, StewMc and 2 others like this.
  13. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Here's a question that's gotten in my head: Would people here rather see an Enterprise, whether it's the E or a new one...or would they rather see a Galaxy-class that isn't the Enterprise?

saddestmoon and Gonzo like this.
  14. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I’ve mentioned this before, but I think to really psych out the audience, they need to have a brand new Enterprise, but have it be the baddie ship that is tasked with chasing after Picard, and have the captain be a real asshole whose tag line every week is “You are fucking MINE, Picard!!!” They should even make the ship look evil and menacing, with lots of spikes, jagged edges, and holes in it. I wonder if John Eaves can come up with something like that? ;)

15. Lord Garth

Hmmm. Basically a Captain Styles taken up to an 11. I think I can get behind that. It drives the TSFS connection further home.

Dukhat likes this.
  16. Lord Garth

The way this series works, as of right now, I think the Galaxy Class works better in the context of the past. Picard's memories of the Enterprise-D and "the old days".

Next season, under the new showrunner, he might take a different approach than Michael Chabon. Or he might not have the same constitution to stand up to any mandate from elsewhere to get more mileage out of the new CG model they have now of the Galaxy Class.

I think the Galaxy Class, in the context of PIC, is too much The Past. And the whole point of Picard is that the past is over. It's not coming back. So I think a Galaxy Class Starship would be out of place in this series. Whereas an Enterprise that's very obviously not his would drive home the fact that time has marched on.

The Enterprise-F would be akin to the Enterprise-B. When Kirk was on the E-B and Harriman gave him the bridge, as Kirk was about to sit down, you could tell it didn't look right. And he knew it. The ship wasn't his. "Wait. Your place is on the bridge of your ship. I'll take care of it." That's how I'd see the Enterprise-F's relationship to Picard.

17. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I don't mind.

If we do see a Galaxy class it would be cool if Geordi is the Captain but its not a requirement.

Or the Enterprise E.

Or any Odyssey Class especially the F.

Would be fitting if Clancy sent the USS Verity though.

Just as long as Clancy wasn't being literal when she said squadron as that would indicate she is sending a bunch of smaller ships.

Mind you that could (at a stretch) mean a squadron of Defiant class ships, the Romulan's will not be laughing if they show up.

Will tell us a great deal about what is to come depending on what ships show up.

18. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I really don’t see Starfleet building very large ships anymore after what happened at Utopia Planitia. Light cruisers at best, but probably not capital ships. They probably don’t have the resources to build gigantic things like Odyssey class ships.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2020
  19. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I had to choose I would probably lean towards new Enterprise class. As others have mentioned there is a definite "This isn't your Enterprise, Picard" level of storytelling and character development that could come with it.

SolarisOne, Lord Garth and Gonzo like this.
  20. ITDUDE

ITDUDE Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

All that may be right. I still want to see Enterprise-D over any other Enterprise. Enterprise-E never felt like "my Enterprise". And definitely couldn't care less about Enterprise-F.

Arpy and Gonzo like this.