Which Discovery loose ends bother you the most?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuvix5675, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What did Pike want?

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Vulcan Hello and Battle at the Binary Stars take place May 2256. Context is for Kings takes place six month later, so November 2256. Choose Your Pain is one month later, so basically December 2256. By the time we get to Into the Forest, I'd say another month or so has gone by, so make that January 2257. Then the nine month jump makes it October 2257, which is basically where we are at the moment. So seventeen months total, but only eight months experienced by the Disco crew.
    You know, I had an idea a while back that maybe the Black Badges could have been other people Lorca brought with him from the Mirror Universe, but considering he arrived more or less by accident, that seems unlikely. That and the writers seemed to have forgotten all about them.

Man, I wonder if the writers will ever address this, even if just in an interview. Although, somehow I get the impression that whenever this show does end up on DVD, the audio commentary is going to get conspicuously silent when the Black Badges are on the screen and start up again when they're gone.

Markonian likes this.
  3. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

The black badges are seen again. I couldn't grab the screen cap I wanted, but you can see Stamets and Tilly side by side in The War Without, the War Within at 37:17, she is wearing a black badge, Stamets is not. And you can see her black badge in almost any shot she's in.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tilly's cadet insignia had a black portion to it. That's not the same as the entirely black insignia worn by the mysterious probably security guards seen in Context is for Kings.

5. KennyB

KennyB I have spoken............ Moderator

Really I am not trying to be rude........but did you watch the show? Just about all of these were explained. They went into detail about how Voq has his arms, legs, internal organs modified. Ash even remembered his fingertips being trimmed down. Original Tyler's skin was flayed off and used to cover Voq's modified shell. Cornwall assumes PU Lorca is dead, but I suspect he may pop up one day. Final scene showed them talking about not using DASH until they could use it without the genetically altered navigator. ISS Discovery was destroyed..........Cornwell told us about that in episode 14.

6. KennyB

Nope---just looked. She's wearing the same old cadet badge.

7. EnderAKH

EnderAKH Commodore Premium Member

My bad, did not know there was a difference.

KennyB likes this.
  8. KennyB

dsc-ewcover-18.jpg

9. Jadeb

Jadeb Commodore Commodore

For me, it's Dr. Culber's death. I'm sure it will come back up next season, and maybe even be a big focal point, but I'm still stunned it got as little acknowledgement as it did. A real disservice to Rapp and Cruz, IMO.

10. KennyB

They seem to be fine with it........Rapp even posted "That story is not over" yesterday.........so if they are good with it..........I'll be ok too.

11. GeekUSACarl

GeekUSACarl The Last Starfighter Fleet Captain

This could be the start of a "Bring Back Your Gays" trope.

all jokes aside that's the only "loose end" I'm super curious about, though I'm not sure it is a loose end, and it don't bother me, but I loved that character and really wanna see him back.

KennyB likes this.
  12. Jadeb

I know they're saying that, but when the writers can find time for Georgiou's pointless tryst with the Orions but leave Culber's death barely acknowledged, even by Stamets, I question their priorities.

Culber's death seemed like a cheap stunt in the first place, so I was hoping it would go somewhere other than on a shelf until 2020.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
  13. Shawnster

Shawnster Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What do you want, Stamets to be crying in fetal position moaning "Huuuggghhhh!!!!"?

I think the Stamets vs. Ash/Voq scene and the fact that Stamets received Culber's medal of honor were more than just "barely acknowledgements."

We really haven't had much time this season since Culber's death to have an emotional scene with Stamets.

14. Jadeb

Culber died five episodes ago. A third of the season. If the writers haven't found time for it, well, that tells you about their priorities.

GeekUSACarl likes this.
  15. GeekUSACarl

This is why I think the season was too short,

I get they told a trim and focused story but there was just too much left on the table, it's like they added all this stuff, that they had no intention to really go into. It really weighed the show down, big time.

I mean if they didn't wanna flush that out they shoulda just not did it, I mean for the story they stuck to, Culber didn't have to die.

It'd been better to add 4 or 5 episodes to focus on some things like that.

Or just don't kill Culber and keep your trim story, a real trim story.

Jadeb likes this.
  16. GeekUSACarl

When you compare Stamet's reaction to the death of someone, merely a real good friend, and his reaction with Culber, it just doesn't seem like they truly captured the moment, and yeah receiving the medal doesn't really advance the character, and how the character feels about that at all.

My personal opinion, I'm glad you found it satisfying but I found it one part wasteful and two parts empty.

Daddy Todd and Jadeb like this.
  17. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. If you want to tell a character-focused story, you need to give the characters time to do something other than be plot devices.

Literally as soon as Culber died, Stamets seemed to mostly move on. His hallway encounter with Tyler and the medal ceremony were the only times it even seemed like he thought about him. Otherwise, he just existed to plot the plot. All he did was have lines about the mycelial network and the spores. In the last episode, I'm pretty sure he only had two lines of dialogue - saying he was ready to jump, and saying at the end they wouldn't be using the drive "for now."

Of course, I am sure that Stamets grieved in private. But the fact remains the showrunners didn't think it was as important to show us his mourning as it was to plot the plot and pile on more "Burnham time."

GeekUSACarl and Jadeb like this.
  18. The Lonely Man

The Lonely Man Commander Red Shirt

And that's enough for you ?

The spore drive represents the greatest discovery ( intended pun or not ? you choose ) that Starfleet has ever made, blows warp drive out the water. The ability to travel literally anywhere in the universe instantly.
    That could have been handy during the Borg attacks, or the Cardassian War, or the Dominion war, or Voyager getting home or any one of a thousand other instances.
    Yet the explanation we get, and some are happy to accept, is that Starfleet stopped using it because they couldn't find a suitable replacement for a human interface.
    This despite the fact that the human interface seemed perfectly fine at the end of season 1.

Guys, it's an absolute clusterfuck. We speculated on here for months as to how the writers were going to get themselves out of the Spore drive situation. I don't think anyone saw this one coming.

Daddy Todd and GeekUSACarl like this.
  19. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

The spore drop on Tilly's shoulder, where is it?

The Lonely Man and GeekUSACarl like this.
  20. GeekUSACarl

No sht. I mean I expected there to be SOMETHING. What we got was nothing.