Which Classical Who Era Would You Recommend?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by 777, Jun 3, 2013.

1. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

That reminds me of The Sensorrites, with the futuristic technology of a watch that keeps itself wound provided its wearer has a pulse. I guess no one thought watches would ever stop needing winding?

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I think the Sensorites holds up OK - because it's a bit staid. In 1964, it probably felt as if it had been made in 1958 and left on the shelf till they made the rest of the series, and now it still feels as if it was made in the 1950s.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I think he's talking about John Hurtnell...

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I meant Hartnell - sorry, spell error.

That said, I concur about the missing episodes being an issue. Not claiming to be a Who-vian expert, but the show always seemed to have rather tight continuity, plus to watch a few parts of a serial and then to listen to the rest can be rather distracting.

That said, I have hopes that they will eventually animate most if not all missing episodes. Several episodes from those seasons are now out or upcoming, so there's still hope.

PS: And IMO, the B&W is the least of the detractors, IMO. At the very least, it lends a different feel to it, and IMO adds to its uniqueness.

5. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sixties Who didn't really have tight continuity - at most there was a cliffhanger leading into the next story but they were kept pretty vague.

You can jump from story to story, the missing episodes aren't a big deal - it just means you won't be able to watch every story, though all the missing stories are available on audio.

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Without the missing stories, you have the confusion of Companions changing in those missing stories, which can be distracting, though

7. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Of the major companions only Dodo & Jamie's intros are missing and we have Dodo's first full story.

Katarina's and Sara Kingdom's are also missing but we only have a handful of episodes for them anyway.

8. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

And Victoria's Introductory story also has missing episodes.

But, overall, what you have, just watching the complete stories (though a few have now been animated or are in the process of being animated, which makes things better) is a string of Barbara/Ian/and for awhile Susan, and then you have Companions coming or going like crazy.